PDA

View Full Version : T' ing into dryer vent?

Marc Nicoloudis
02-06-2013, 1:15 AM
Hello everyone,
I recently moved into a home that will house my Laser and my washer/dryer in the same room. Because the dryer is vented to the outside, can I tap into the line and create a multi use port. So it would go from the dust collector to one side of a Y connector. The dryer outlet pipe would go to the other side of the Y fitting. I would not forsee having to use both at the same time. By using a gate valve on the dryer side, I could isolate one another as to not mix the two. Anyone try this yet? Any forseeable problems? Thanks, Marc

Rodne Gold
02-06-2013, 2:07 AM
In my old premises , we had our workshop next to a linen supplier , we vented 10m up the side of the building and at least 20m away from the linen co's storeroom , they complained bitterly that their stock was smelling of burnt wood and other stuff...so the problem I forsee is your clothes smelling , even the best exhaust doesn't remove all the smells from the room the laser is in let alone whats in the ducted piping to the vent...

Scott Challoner
02-06-2013, 9:43 AM
Dryer vents tend to accumulate lint. It's possible to send a spark or small ember from your laser through your vent, so I wouldn't do it. Someone posted here a few years ago about using the same vent for their laser and their paint booth. A spark from the laser ignited some fumes and started a fire in their exhaust system. I'm not sure how much creosote is created by cutting plywood and other materials, but I would imagine there is some. Lint could also trap that and, over time, possibly create a very fire friendly mixture of fuel (creosote) and kindling (lint). I just wouldn't do it.

Mark Ross
02-06-2013, 10:14 AM
We have two lasers and we did not even put those on the same system. Each one has its own exhaust. Depending on what you cut (we cut acrylic) and how much you cut (we do 8-10 hours 6 days a week) in no time you can get a nice layer of build up in your vent. Now add lint to the mixture? Not to mention I don't know what the exhaust from your laser creeping into the insides of your dryer will do to your dryer.

If this is in a residential area, you are going to need a scrubber so that you don't get complaints about the smell. Best bet is to keep them separate IMHO.

Scott Shepherd
02-06-2013, 10:20 AM
I agree, I wouldn't even consider it an option. Far to risky for me. Ember + lint can't be a good thing.

Marc Nicoloudis
02-06-2013, 11:12 AM
Ah thank you everyone,
I can see that being a problem. Burning your own house down is one thing, burning down a friends house down is a different story! I will plumb a dedicated line. Thanks again, Marc