PDA

View Full Version : Laser tape

Jim Reinhard
02-05-2013, 8:10 PM
I have been using the green ikonics laser tape .I just tryed the rayzist red tape and it seems tougher and pliable.Any opinions of these?

Bert Kemp
02-06-2013, 11:21 AM
I have been using the green ikonics laser tape .I just tryed the rayzist red tape and it seems tougher and pliable.Any opinions of these?
Jim What is Laser tape what is it used for. When I google it I get laser tape measures, I don't think this is what you have.

Mike Null
02-06-2013, 11:40 AM
I have a red/orange tape made by Specialty Tapes and purchased from Johnson Plastics. It is fairly rugged stuff and will not stretch. At the moment I can't remember why I bought it.

Dan Hintz
02-06-2013, 2:01 PM
I have a red/orange tape made by Specialty Tapes and purchased from Johnson Plastics. It is fairly rugged stuff and will not stretch. At the moment I can't remember why I bought it.

Sounds like Kapton...

Craig Matheny
02-06-2013, 4:51 PM
Jim it is tape used to make a pattern to sand blast with

Jim Reinhard
02-06-2013, 6:30 PM
It goes on then you engrave the pattern .Then you sand blast .If you go to ikonics or the razist web site you can see it.

Chuck Stone
02-06-2013, 6:58 PM
I just use the transfer tape first, then cover it with
Duck HP260. Holds up well to heavy blasting and it's cheap
enough.

EDIT:
I scrub the transfer tape iin with a steel brush or the side
of a wooden stick to get a good seal with the substrate.
(I use a modeling clay tool like a burnisher) and if the
material is something like slate .. very uneven, I'll spray
some Krylon matte finish onto a towel and rub that into the
surface to give a better grip to the tape.

Jim Reinhard
02-06-2013, 7:30 PM
I also use tranfer tape for some of my stuff but when it comes to the smaller more intracat text like edwardian scrypt I use the tape for better detail.
I did e-mail rayzist and asked if there were any sales or discounts so there price would be closer to ickonics ,But have not heard back from them yet.

Braden Todd
02-06-2013, 11:41 PM
I love the laser tape from Ikonics! I think I go through around 3 100' rolls a month. When researching the tapes I received samples from rayzist and Ikonics and I thought Ikonics was better. The main reason was clean up went much faster with the Ikonics tape, I still have some tough cleaning on certain glass but its still better and cheaper than Rayzist.

I can also blast at 60 psi with no issues or lift offs. I have even used this on stone pieces I have done, the adhesive is great! I also get amazing detail with it.

Good luck!

Jim Reinhard
02-07-2013, 5:58 AM
I love the laser tape from Ikonics! I think I go through around 3 100' rolls a month. When researching the tapes I received samples from rayzist and Ikonics and I thought Ikonics was better. The main reason was clean up went much faster with the Ikonics tape, I still have some tough cleaning on certain glass but its still better and cheaper than Rayzist.

I can also blast at 60 psi with no issues or lift offs. I have even used this on stone pieces I have done, the adhesive is great! I also get amazing detail with it.

Good luck!

Do you do curved items with it like flutes.I tried to pull out the wrinkles and it seems to pull back when I engrave . The small sample of rayzist tape it didnt do that .But I had the sample piece for a almost a year and wonder it it was because it was getting dried out.

Chuck Stone
02-07-2013, 11:29 AM
Good luck!

I'm blasting stone with 125-150 psi. I was getting lift without the matte spray, though.
The brush gets the tape into textured areas.

Braden Todd
02-07-2013, 11:44 AM
I do curves with it, when doing wine glasses I try to avoid the "bowl" of the glass as much as possible to help with wrinkles etc. If your mask is pulling back you may be stretching it around the piece, I would try to work it onto the glass as smoothly as possible with no stretching. You should be able to see where the mask will lay flat from there remove the carrier sheet and gently press the tape down around the piece without stretching it, you will see wrinkles starting to form and the trick is to chase them to the outer edge as much as possible. My masking never looks pretty the whole way around, only smooth area is where the pattern will be.

Chip Jordan
02-07-2013, 5:50 PM
I use con-tack brand shelf liner works great I blast at 50psi no problems

George Brown
02-08-2013, 10:26 PM
I just use the transfer tape first, then cover it with
Duck HP260. Holds up well to heavy blasting and it's cheap
enough.

Isn't that tape PVC based??

nancy barry
02-09-2013, 11:42 AM
I prefer rayzist red to iconics green. The iconics stretches a lot which can be good on a wine glass but I have had nothing but trouble getting the release to do just that. I have rec'd new samples several times to make sure it was not "old". I have some dated black rayzist that still releases easily. Raysizst has sales quite often ; sign up on their website for the specials. I also have a rayzist cabinet that is just wonderful..I do very detailed blasting usually at 30 psi and have no lift off challenges .
hth, nancyB

Chuck Stone
02-09-2013, 5:22 PM

acrylic based, as far as I know..

Jim Reinhard
02-09-2013, 9:15 PM
I prefer rayzist red to iconics green. The iconics stretches a lot which can be good on a wine glass but I have had nothing but trouble getting the release to do just that. I have rec'd new samples several times to make sure it was not "old". I have some dated black rayzist that still releases easily. Raysizst has sales quite often ; sign up on their website for the specials. I also have a rayzist cabinet that is just wonderful..I do very detailed blasting usually at 30 psi and have no lift off challenges .
hth, nancyB
I do like the way razist streaches with no pull back better .The price is just WAY to high compared to the ikonics.I am almost out of the green and think will order some iconics and keep an eye out for a sale on rayzist.

Stan Lightner
02-11-2013, 9:37 AM

it is acrylic. see: http://duckbrand.com/products/packaging-tapes/hp260-packaging-tape

George Brown
02-11-2013, 10:04 AM
it is acrylic. see: http://duckbrand.com/products/packaging-tapes/hp260-packaging-tape

Thank you, was looking for an msds sheet but could not find it. I will order some.

Talley Boatwright
02-11-2013, 11:06 AM
Has anyone done halftone photos on their laser tape and been successful? If so, what angle frequency, LPI, halftone pattern ( dots, elliptical, lines, hatch, square, etc)? What type of material you have tried it on? I am interested in hearing others feedback.

Chuck Stone
02-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Thank you, was looking for an msds sheet but could not find it. I will order some.

I couldn't find the MSDS either. But I've used it for a while now without any noticeable
problems. I get it at Staples.. some day I'll get around to finding a source with a better
price. But this is the only thing I use it for. (I hate loud tape.. fingernails/blackboard don't
bother me, but loud tape does, so I try not to use this on anything else! Go figure..)

George Brown
02-11-2013, 4:35 PM
I called the company, and while the adhesive is acrylic, the tape is polypropylene (or polyethylene, sorry can remember which - CRS setting in), no problem with the laser. I ordered an 8 pack from Amazon, just under $25 with free shipping (added an extra item to get it to $25).

Chuck Stone
02-12-2013, 8:56 AM
Cool! Not the cheapest tape for shipping, is it?