PDA

View Full Version : Lighting lay out, adequate or like an ER?

Charlie Watson
02-05-2013, 3:34 PM
So using the lighting write up which was very helpful I did a lighting layout for my shop. The latest iteration incorporates a Combo machine (either MM, Hammer or Felder, just have to see who wants my business the most) and I utilized the lighting guidelines in the write up (at least I think, I did). I'm over 50 so looking for lighting levels closer to 100 FC. As In the example in the write up, the fixtures are 8' strips with (4) four foot tubes each (12 fixtures total). Seems like a lot of light to me but every one of my shops had poor lighting so I'm far from an expert on the subject. What do you guys think adequate or more like an emergency room and I should scale back? The overall area for the shop is 720 SqFt but I consider the area to be illuminated (adjusting for the DC, water heater, full height shelving etc) closer to 650 SqFt. Thanks for your thoughts!

Joe Angrisani
02-05-2013, 5:34 PM
How high are the ceilings?

(Assuming T8s and 8-10' ceilings,) I think you'll find it's a good amount of light once you add some things like additional task lighting at the workbench. One thing I'll suggest is to break them into 3 or 4 circuits so you can turn on lower amounts of light when you don't need "the ER". And not necessarily all in line on one switch. If the switches control some staggered lights in the room, it lets you "bring the lights up" as you need them.

Bruce Page
02-05-2013, 6:16 PM
IMO, you can't have too much light, especially as you get older. I have 8 4-bulb fixtures in my 520 SqFt garage shop with an 8’ ceiling, plus task lighting on several machines and bench.

Charlie Watson
02-05-2013, 9:24 PM
I have 8' ceilings and good to hear you guys agree. Great idea on the 3 circuits too!

Randy Rizzo
02-05-2013, 10:06 PM
So using the lighting write up which was very helpful I did a lighting layout for my shop. The latest iteration incorporates a Combo machine (either MM, Hammer or Felder, just have to see who wants my business the most) and I utilized the lighting guidelines in the write up (at least I think, I did). I'm over 50 so looking for lighting levels closer to 100 FC. As In the example in the write up, the fixtures are 8' strips with (4) four foot tubes each (12 fixtures total). Seems like a lot of light to me but every one of my shops had poor lighting so I'm far from an expert on the subject. What do you guys think adequate or more like an emergency room and I should scale back? The overall area for the shop is 720 SqFt but I consider the area to be illuminated (adjusting for the DC, water heater, full height shelving etc) closer to 650 SqFt. Thanks for your thoughts!

my shop is about the same size, 24X28 (672 sq. ft). I used the same setup, 8' strip lighting w/4 tubes per strip, T8's electronic ballasts. I ran one strip down the center, the other two spaced out about 8' from the center row. I have it wired so the outside strip lights are each on its own switch and the center is a 3 way controlled from the shop or down stairs (shop is on second floor over garage). When I'm working I usually get enough light just running the outside strips, seldom use the center lighting unless its just to run up and grab some tools etc. I'm 72 with eyesight to match! Plenty of light. The only difference that might come into play you have works areas along a couple of walls and I can see the need for additional overhead lighting there or you'll be working in your shadow.

Jim Neeley
02-05-2013, 11:12 PM
I'm looking at the same or a few more lights...

My existing garage has two switches. To up it to four, I'm looking at replacing the two switches with two like this:

Which will break my lighting into 4 separate controls. They're about $9 each at the BBS...

Jim

John Hays
02-06-2013, 3:14 AM
I think you'll be pretty happy with that lighting plan, Charlie. My shop is roughly the same square footage and I used twelve 4' strips with T8s. Since my shop has an odd layout, 8 strips are on one circuit and 4 strips are on another... which actually works out pretty good.

After installing all of the fixtures and turning them on, I thought someone moved the freakin' sun in there, but now I'm finding that there are still some spots that will require a bit of task lighting.

michael osadchuk
02-06-2013, 8:09 PM
Charlie,

I can't figure out how many four foot long fluorescent tubes you are planning for from your description..... but if it's 48 then you are in line with Jack Lyndsey's recommendation..... note two thirds through Jack's article he makes the point that of every 200 foot-candles radiated from a ceiling fixture only 100 are calculated as illuminating workbenches, etc.; it is this second calculation of 100 foot candles Jack is recommending.

I have about 34 or 36 four foot T8 tubes in my 500 square foot basement workshop and I am happy and wouldn't want less...... one of the outcomes you want is no shadows being cast in more critical areas of the workshop... tablesaw, workbenches where you are faced with situations such as exactly on which side of a pencil line are you lining up your handsaw or tablesaw blade.

One issue to give some thought to is the Kelvin colour, how 'warm/red' or 'cool/bluish' the light is ..... this is a personal preference. I found that when I switched from T12 tubes which were 'cool white' (likely 5000K) to 3500K I much preferred the the warmer light over the bluish/emergency room lighting.

good luck

michael

Charlie Watson
02-07-2013, 10:15 AM
Thanks Michael. There are (12) 8', 4 lamp strips for a total of 48 lamps (32w, 2800 LM ea, color temp 3500k electronic ballast) which will be wired on 3 different circuits. Sounds like this will be the ticket to a well lit shop

Jim Neeley
02-07-2013, 2:25 PM
Charlie,

An idea for your consideration:

You are installing 48 lamps.

Might you want to purchase a pair of bulbs in each of several temperatures and play with different conbinations to see what you like before buying so many?

Jim

Larry Whitlow
02-07-2013, 10:07 PM
Holy Moly - 48 lamps in a space that is a little over 25' square! I currently have four 48" 2-bulb fixtures in my 2-car garage shop. Going to have to check into adding some circuits. I wish I had never read this thread.

Bruce Wrenn
02-07-2013, 10:15 PM
Our local YMCA is doing a lighting upgrade. They are replacing their t-12's with t-5's. The recessed four foot fixtures receive a conversion kit (new ballast, bulbs, sockets and reflector.) It night and day difference in light level. Worth looking to.

Jim O'Dell
02-07-2013, 11:26 PM
Doing the math, your set up comes out to 13.54 sq ft per bulb. My shop, when I finally purchase those last 3 4' fixtures, will be 16.78 sq ft per bulb. I'm approaching late 50s and I really like having a lot of light. Mine is fine for me. The arrangement of bulbs is heavy over the middle section where the two table saws are, and a little lighter towards the corners and sides where not as much goes on. It is those 2 areas I'm missing fixtures at this point. I do have 6 halogen aim-able recessed spots, and 2 incandescent drop type rotating spots that I use, two over one of the TS, 2 over the BS, 2 over the RT and 2 over the SCMS that help if I need extra. This works very well for me. It sounds like your plan will work very well. Now I'm using much brighter bulbs than most people. This is the bulb I got: http://www.businesslights.com/tcp-31032850-f32t8-850-linear-fluorescent-lamp-25-pack.html and I really like the bright whites. I got a few daylight T-8s at HD, and they are yellow compared to these. Many people feel this is too bluish white, but it is perfect for my eyes. Jim.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-08-2013, 10:47 AM
Our local YMCA is doing a lighting upgrade. They are replacing their t-12's with t-5's. The recessed four foot fixtures receive a conversion kit (new ballast, bulbs, sockets and reflector.) It night and day difference in light level. Worth looking to.

I'm a fan of the T5, but...

I've been messing with them in my new woodshop, and they are so bright that it is distracting if mounted too low. I have one at almost 9', and in my opinion it is not high enough. Think of driving into the sun. It messes with your eyes when they are in your line of vision. I put it at 10', and no issue though.

My fixtures are 6 bulb with reflectors.

Steve Goetz
02-08-2013, 10:52 PM
Steve,
How big is your shop? I am also in the beginning stages of determining a lighting plan for my 24x32 pole barn. It has 12' sidewalls. I was looking at the T5's but didn't know how many I would need.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-08-2013, 11:27 PM
Steve,
How big is your shop? I am also in the beginning stages of determining a lighting plan for my 24x32 pole barn. It has 12' sidewalls. I was looking at the T5's but didn't know how many I would need.

Steve, I'll attach a link to a thread I started about it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?196427-Shop-pics

It's L shaped, I have 10, 6 bulb fixtures for it, 2500ish square feet. If it wasn't odd shaped, less would work fine. It's still in construction, will be for a good long while still I think. My contractor is pretty busy ;)

We have them in two other shops on the farm too, one 60x80, one 40x60. 10 fixtures in the bigger building, 8 in the smaller. The smaller has 12 foot ceilings too, and it is nice and bright.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-09-2013, 10:37 AM
Steve, I'll attach a link to a thread I started about it.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?196427-Shop-pics

It's L shaped, I have 10, 6 bulb fixtures for it, 2500ish square feet. If it wasn't odd shaped, less would work fine. It's still in construction, will be for a good long while still I think. My contractor is pretty busy ;)

We have them in two other shops on the farm too, one 60x80, one 40x60. 10 fixtures in the bigger building, 8 in the smaller. The smaller has 12 foot ceilings too, and it is nice and bright.

I'm senile, there are actually 12 fixtures in my big shop.

Jack Lindsey
02-11-2013, 5:47 AM
The layout looks fine. I think you'll be happy with it.

Steve Goetz
02-11-2013, 10:47 PM
Thanks for the info. Steve!