PDA

View Full Version : something diffferent

Deane Allinson
02-04-2013, 8:29 PM
It's not to everyones taste, but it was fun to make. I keep enjoying the critique thread, jump in on this one. I made a natural edge bench/coffee table from a big mesquite board and this was from the knarly end. 2" x 14".
Deane

Dennis Ford
02-04-2013, 8:43 PM
I like this piece, it looks simple in the thumbnail but has a lot of things going on. My only quibble is the three small holes; I would have preferred them to look less like nail or screw holes. Based on location and spacing, I am sure they are intentional and appear to be orbiting.

Brian Kent
02-04-2013, 9:11 PM
Well Deane, I bet that creativity was fun. I like the different centers. And I like 90% of the wood. personal taste-wise, I am not yet used to turning over voids like that, but you did it well.

Michelle Rich
02-05-2013, 10:42 AM
having fun is the whole idea! I think this is one I would have to see in person, to get a real feel for it. the wood has a great deal of interest

Rick Markham
02-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Deane, I really like it. I think the flaws and voids work well in the piece, the rugged voided edge is a juxtaposition to the perfectly crafted center (nice, by the way ;).) It's good to relax and just let things flow! This is an beautiful piece!

Deane Allinson
02-06-2013, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the comments! Dennis, I agree with the 3 holes. They were shallow and didn't show up well, I put a drop of stain in them and now they are too dark. I will sand them out lighter and their irregular edges will soften them. Just a little self indulgence, I've been doing several "just for myself" things lately. I'm easily entertained.
Deane

Thom Sturgill
02-06-2013, 12:13 PM
Was this intended to be a wall hanging or a table top to go with the table/bench? Could work either way. nice conversation piece and well done.

Deane Allinson
02-06-2013, 12:32 PM
A wall hanging, to break-up all of the rectangular stuff on our walls. I cut 4 key-hole slots in the back so is can be rotated for a different look.

Jeremy Hamaker
02-07-2013, 1:15 PM
I like this piece a lot. Totally a work of art.

I might prefer to see a bit of different media added in. The wood is beautiful but ...overwhelming...?
Maybe a bit of silver leaf over the center dome, or some offsetting painted pinstripes in a couple of the grooves...

I personally really like the 'nail' holes just the way they are!

Great work.
Cheers!