PDA

View Full Version : Dibond

Martin Boekers
02-04-2013, 6:09 PM
I was in St Louis today picking up some acrylic and stopped by a friends shop. He had some samples of photographs UV printed
on Dibond either a brushed or satin silver finish. They took my breath away!!!!

A question I have has anyone tried doing CLTT on this material? From quick research I found it is coated with a polyester paint,
so maybe dye sub posibilities?

I am looking to experiment with this material. Does anyone know a vendor for small sizes and quantities?

I have heard it's hard to fabricate and a CNC cut is the way to go. Anyone try to cut this with a band or table saw?

Thanks!

Scott Shepherd
02-04-2013, 6:35 PM
Cuts like butter with any shop tools. I've tried heating it once a few years ago. The plastic core tends to make it bow when heated. It would probably CLTT well. There are also many less expensive brands that look the same. DiBond is a brand name and it's the top tier of the market on pricing. Your CNC router will love it. You literally won't even know it's cutting, it cuts so freely. You can also cut the back side out with a v-bit and fold it into boxes or right angles, etc. They make a special cutter for it that does a better job, but you can fudge through it with a 90 degree bit if you have to.

Ernie Balch
02-04-2013, 6:40 PM
agreed Dibond is easy to cut or rout. Laser Halftone photos look great on DiBond, it makes a nice black image on the white substrate giving photos with great contrast.

ernie

Martin Boekers
02-04-2013, 6:43 PM
So where can I get some! :)

Paul Phillips
02-04-2013, 7:08 PM
Most signs supply houses will have it, check with them first. Or try Mfg website.
http://www.graphicdisplayusa.com/dibond/substrate/?utm_campaign=Dibond-Adword%3A-Brand-Focused&utm_source=Google%20Adwords&gclid=CIm-_ZbxnbUCFWyCQgodCGIAbA

Scott Shepherd
02-04-2013, 8:01 PM
In your area, try Grimco as the supplier. Otherwise, try calling any local sign shops and ask them if they have any smaller pieces they'd get rid of cheap.

Joe Pelonio
02-04-2013, 8:10 PM
In your area, try Grimco as the supplier. Otherwise, try calling any local sign shops and ask them if they have any smaller pieces they'd get rid of cheap.
Yes, I have a lot of scraps of it taking up space in my shop.