PDA

View Full Version : Running 50Hz blower on 60Hz circuit

Cyrus Brewster 7
02-04-2013, 12:12 PM
I got my hands on two UK sourced blowers - however , the motors are designed for 50Hz. They are also dual voltage.

After doing some research, it appears that raising the frequency, in general, is not a problem with induction motors??? What I did come across though, is that it can be a problem with motors that are designed to reach there hp rating under load - a blower being one of them.

Would changing the voltage to 220V help?

David Kumm
02-04-2013, 12:31 PM
The problem is more a matter of increasing the amp draw rather than the hz. If the impeller and system together are designed to hit FLA at 50 hz, speeding up the rpm can overload the motors. If there are enough restrictions in the system to allow for the additional speed you should be fine. Reducing the voltage increases the amps so that is hurting rather than helping the problem unless you are running 208. You could put the motor on a VFD- I'm assuming it is three phase- and adjust the hz to either match the motor or to the speed that delivers the correct amp draw at full load. Most impellers are rated for a maximum rpm so you want ot be sure not to exceed it . Dave

Cyrus Brewster 7
02-04-2013, 12:34 PM
Dave,

It is a single phase motor.

David Kumm
02-04-2013, 1:29 PM
Dave,

It is a single phase motor.

When you said dual voltage were you referring to 110-220? I tend to think in the 230-460 world. Fully loaded amp draw is still what will determine whether you can go to the higher speed. Many dust collector motors run enough under their limit that you might get away with it. Really need to put an amp meter on it. Dave

Mike Henderson
02-04-2013, 2:37 PM
A 50 Hz motor will run on 60 Hz without any problems, but it will run at a higher RPM. However, the HP needed for a fan increases with the RPM. So your motor may draw excess current with the existing fan on it, depending on how close it was to max current at 50 Hz.

Mike

Cyrus Brewster 7
02-04-2013, 2:48 PM
David and Mike, thank for the input. I will wire it for 220V (110/220V) for a lower amp draw. I will also hook amp meter to verify current draw.