PDA

View Full Version : CBN Wheels Part 2

Reed Gray
02-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Well, I found this very interesting. A link to Cindy Drozda's blog, and it goes into areas that I didn't consider....

http://cindydrozda.blogspot.com/

robo hippy

Dennis Ford
02-04-2013, 12:56 PM
I have been holding off getting a CBN but want one now after reading that.

David C. Roseman
02-05-2013, 10:39 AM
Very interesting indeed. Great blog from Cindy Drozda. This may explain why our Crown powder metallurgy bowl gouges don't seem to hold an edge much longer than HSS unless I hone like heck with a diamond stone. I'm using aluminum oxide wheels.

So much to learn.

David

Thom Sturgill
02-05-2013, 1:27 PM
Very interesting, I honed my Thompson (V10) gouges with a diamond hone after sharpening on my 120 grit white wheel, and found that it helps give me a sharper, longer lasting edge. I have not found honing needed as much since I bought a 180 grit CBN wheel. Now I understand why, and why its not just the difference in grit.

Ralph Lindberg
02-05-2013, 2:17 PM
It's goes back to what I have said, over and over... HCS is -easier- to get scary sharp then M42/V10, etc, but you can get those scary sharp, and they stay scary sharp longer when you do. It's not that HCS is, inherently "sharper" then HSS or PM

bob svoboda
02-05-2013, 3:53 PM
Interesting and informative blog. Tried a search for Henry Taylor V10 tools and came up empty. Anyone?