PDA

View Full Version : Plastic boxes

Tim Goins
02-04-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm cleaning up my shop and I noticed that I have about 10 to 12 plastic boxes. They came from tools that I have bought. You know saws drills and sanders. My question is what do you do with them? Keep them or recycle them. I don't keep my tools in them they take up to much room. Besides I would never be able to find them so I was just wondering what does everyone do with them?

Steve Rozmiarek
02-04-2013, 10:46 AM
I put mine in the attic so when I sell a tool, yea right, I have the box to send it in.

Brian Tymchak
02-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Kinda hard for me to pull the trigger and actually trash the plastic containers. I actually keep the smaller tools like jigsaw, nailers, ros, dremel, etc in the boxes and then in drawers. To some degree, this helps keep associated parts/accessories together as well. I don't use them every day or even every week, but, if I did, I might adopt a difference perspective, and have the tools out on shelves ready to work. The larger boxes for the circ saw, router kit, etc I keep in a store room, just in case I need to take the tool on the road, or move, etc. And as Steve mentioned, if I were to ever sell the tool (I'm snickering about that even as I type), then it would help that cause.

Rod Sheridan
02-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Since I don't have a use for the boxes, I toss them.

You may be able to sell them on Ebay to contractors who pack their tools in a truck.............Rod.

Wade Lippman
02-04-2013, 1:56 PM
I have sold two on ebay for $10 (probably more trouble than it is worth), cut the partitions out of one to use as a brief case (too much work to be practical) and recycled the rest.

Lee Schierer
02-04-2013, 2:14 PM
Since I sometimes travel to my kids homes and help them with their projects, I find the boxes work well for insuring that I take all the accessories with me to the job site. My jig saw, hammer drill and multi tool all stay in their plastic containers, which stack nicely in a drawer. My soldering iron and propane torch also reside in boxes so I don't have to search for their accessories when I need to use them.

Alan Melbourne
02-04-2013, 2:40 PM
i usually store them in the attic but iv been thinking about dumping them.
but in the back of my mind is that if i sell the tool it would be nice to have the box

jim vancampen
02-04-2013, 6:40 PM
I will sometimes leave them on the sidewalk or hallway of my building. They're always gone by the next day.

Steve Kohn
02-04-2013, 10:48 PM
Normally I have been finding a corner to store the cases in. In general, since a vast majority of my work was in the shop, the tools were in the shop cabinets. I retired 6 months ago and have started to do volunteer work at other peoples homes. Then I needed and bought a Dewalt Impact Driver. It came in a plastic case that had metal clips to hold the case shut. I got out my Dremel multitool with a offset word cutting blace and cut out most to the internal moulded dividers. This left me with a sturdy plastic case where I can put much of my drill and driver bits.

As long as the case is sturdy and will last you can always repurpose it.

John Hays
02-05-2013, 12:42 AM
In the past I've always kept them, since I tended to move quite often. But now that the wife and I have settled into our last house, I may get rid of them to free up some space in the shop... still debating that though. LOL

Rick Potter
02-05-2013, 2:12 AM
A red one that came with one of my Milwaukee 12V drills was the perfect size for a first aid kit in my Jeep. Other than that, I have about a dozen that I will probably give away someday. Just taking up space.

The only one I actually use to store a tool is the box that came with my DeWalt track saw system. I call it my 'De-tainer':cool:.

Rick Potter

Steve Rozmiarek
02-05-2013, 2:41 AM
I will sometimes leave them on the sidewalk or hallway of my building. They're always gone by the next day.

Now that's clever!!

ray hampton
02-05-2013, 2:42 PM
the plastic boxes is good if the tool comes with a handfull of tools for your drill or what ever

Richard Jones
02-05-2013, 3:22 PM
I throw them from a fast moving car on a lonely road late at night...............

Oh, wait, that was Ed Zern. I've kept mine up until now, but thinking about tossing them so as to have more room in which to put more crap................

john davey
02-05-2013, 6:47 PM
Recycle bin for me. Just no room and if I take a tool out of the shop it goes in a tool tote I made with all I need for that job. But I rarely take them out of the shop.

glenn bradley
02-05-2013, 8:00 PM
I strapped them together with duct tape, used them for a raft and took LOML on a vacation in Jamaica. I tried to give them away at a garage sale and finally recycled most.

Chris Padilla
02-05-2013, 8:09 PM
I keep my stuff stored in them...works for me anyway. :)

Jim Andrew
02-05-2013, 10:07 PM
I keep them in a row under one of my benches. A couple weeks ago, I decided to advertise a set of battery tools, and cleaned up the box and put the tools in it, sold the stuff very well. It had a big box, glad it's gone.

Paul M Miller
02-06-2013, 11:48 AM
I toss them. And every time I do, I wish that there was an option to buy just the tool for $5 or $10 less.

Paul

Chris Padilla
02-06-2013, 1:09 PM
It seems most of you do not use your plastic cases. How do you store your tools that came in them? I honestly don't know where I'd put my biscuit joiner, my sawzall (a nice metal case, Milwaukee), or all of my Festool tools. Let's see, what else: Kreg jig PARTS (I have the Kreg mounted on a board hanging overhead), my Grex pin nailer, my PC nailer, my PC router, my Bosch Colt Router. The cases allow me to stack them somewhat nicely under the bench and it helps keeps the items that they often come with together. It also keeps them somewhat clean and free of dust.