PDA

View Full Version : Any appliance repair technicians here?

mreza Salav
02-03-2013, 10:32 PM
In case there is anybody with kitchen appliance repair knowledge:
A close friend has a Whirlpool electric stove/oven and the oven has stopped working after using the "self-clean" cycle (I never use that myself).
I suspect it is the door latch mechanism that is bad since the oven light is constantly on (as if the door is open) and when you
try to start the oven (bake) it gives "door" on the control panel and the elements don't heat up, but I can hear the convection fan running.
All the time the oven light is on and I cannot turn it off.
I played with the door latch a bit and it moves by hand. When I push it by hand to the position of "lock" the oven light turns off and the elements start heating.

I have found the part for the latch and was thinking simply ordering/changing that part. Or maybe he should give a call to an appliance repair shop...
I have the model number in case it matters. Any help would be appreciated.

Andrew Arndts
02-03-2013, 11:54 PM
Google the model and model number along with Repair problems, you might just discover if you have actually discovered the cause. a bad switch Might be the right repair

mreza Salav
02-04-2013, 12:43 AM
I have done that, found the part # for the latch (which has a motor) and it seems to me that's the problem; just want to confirm that's what's needed to order/replace before doing that.

Dave Verstraete
02-04-2013, 7:23 AM
I'm no expert but have a thought. Was the clean cycle stopped during its cycle or was it allowed to end? I'm wondering if the oven is still thinking that the door needs to be locked. Just a thought.

Steve Schlumpf
02-04-2013, 7:29 AM
I think Dave brings up a good point, it could be something goofy in the 'logic' circuit of the stove. If it was me, I would throw the breaker to remove power to the stove, wait 10 to 20 seconds and then power it back up. If it was a 'software' problem, that should reset things. If it is a hard fault - meaning something actually went bad - the problem will remain.

Good luck!

mreza Salav
02-04-2013, 11:11 AM
Thanks. I did try cutting the power but it didn't solve the problem. If you try to put it into self-clean cycle again it gives the same error of "door" as if the door is open.
I'm thinking the latch (which also has door switch) is the problem; here is the part for it: http://www.appliancepartspros.com/whirlpool-latch-door-w10195934-ap4429328.html
My suggestion to him is to get that part and I'll replace it for him.

Lee Schierer
02-04-2013, 2:07 PM
I saw something just the other day on television and they were talking about self cleaning ovens. They said there is a safety device that shuts off the oven if the temperature exceeds some predetermined level above the normal self cleaning temp. This safety device can only be reset/replaced by an authorized service technician.

Jim Koepke
02-04-2013, 2:48 PM
For me, this is the indicator:

A close friend has a Whirlpool electric stove/oven and the oven has stopped working after using the "self-clean" cycle...

None of my ovens ever prevented me from turning on the heat with the door open.

Is the oven light and the lock switch the same unit?

Not ever using a self cleaning oven, my knowledge is insufficient to say whether or not the light is on during the cycle. It could be on to prevent heat related issues with the lamp.

There may be a switch to indicate the self clean door lock is in the fully off position that is messing with the works.

jtk

John McClanahan
02-04-2013, 3:48 PM
I saw something just the other day on television and they were talking about self cleaning ovens. They said there is a safety device that shuts off the oven if the temperature exceeds some predetermined level above the normal self cleaning temp. This safety device can only be reset/replaced by an authorized service technician.

I saw the same thing. It was on "Ask This Old House".

John

mreza Salav
02-04-2013, 4:35 PM
I know there is usually a thermo-switch that would shut the power if it gets too hot (e.g. during self-clean) but it doesn't seem to be the case since the elements will heat up if
I manage to fool it to believe the door is close (by putting the latch into lock position). That thermo-switch usually needs a reset and for that you'd need to open up the back of the oven (or wherever it is located).
I couldn't find any light switch (those push-in types you'd typically see on the frame of an oven which will be pushed in if you close the door); the latch had two hooks (or legs) as in the picture I linked to. I think one of those is the light switch and for some reason it may not be working.
Our own oven will easily turn on even if the door is open, so I don't understand why this particular oven complains about "door" when you try to turn it on.

ray hampton
02-05-2013, 3:04 PM
Our own oven will easily turn on even if the door is open, so I don't understand why this particular oven complains about "door" when you try to turn it on.

IF YOU got nosy children , then this may be a safety to stop someone hand from getting burnt, this could apply to bigger dogs too after a human open the door to the oven

Jim Koepke
02-05-2013, 3:47 PM
IF YOU got nosy children , then this may be a safety to stop someone hand from getting burnt, this could apply to bigger dogs too after a human open the door to the oven

Things to prevent children from learning about such things is likely why we are starting to have a preponderance of adults being stupid in their actions and beliefs.

Besides, the burner turning off when opening the door is not going to make anything in the oven safe to touch in a short time.

jtk

Jim O'Dell
02-05-2013, 5:57 PM
It seems pretty telling that if you fake the switch into thinking the door is closed, the light goes off and the element starts to heat. Now, is the switch bad, or does it need to be adjusted so that closing the door actually makes it engage? What is it you have to do to fake it into working? If just pushing a little further, it may just be an adjustment. You'd have to take it apart to replace the part anyway, right? It's not working now, so it's not like leaving it in pieces for a few days while the part comes in is going to put them in more of a bind than they are already. Worth a shot. Jim.

ray hampton
02-05-2013, 7:06 PM
Things to prevent children from learning about such things is likely why we are starting to have a preponderance of adults being stupid in their actions and beliefs.

Besides, the burner turning off when opening the door is not going to make anything in the oven safe to touch in a short time.

jtk

the preponderance made my day , I look it up but still am confuse

Jim Koepke
02-06-2013, 1:08 PM
the preponderance made my day , I look it up but still am confuse

"Preponderance: the quality or fact of being greater in number."

Today we seem to have a greater number of adults, who were likely over protected as kids, who have no idea what is going to happen when they do something dumb.

Just imagine today's kids who have very little physical activity outside. They will most likely be more prone to injury by doing dumb things kids of my generation learned before the 5th grade.

jtk

ray hampton
02-06-2013, 4:20 PM
"Preponderance: the quality or fact of being greater in number."

Today we seem to have a greater number of adults, who were likely over protected as kids, who have no idea what is going to happen when they do something dumb.

Just imagine today's kids who have very little physical activity outside. They will most likely be more prone to injury by doing dumb things kids of my generation learned before the 5th grade.

jtk

when one generation of kids are over-protected have kids who are under - protected , WHO WILL WIN, I kept my son from being hurt sometime but allow him to suffer at other times, and I hope that he will pass it on to all of his kids

mreza Salav
02-06-2013, 4:21 PM
Well I went yesterday and tried one more thing: tried pushing the latch by hand (while the door open) into lock position and fooled it as if the door is closed; then put it into "self-clean cycle" again. I could hear the latch gear moving and it showed "locked" on the control panel. Then I canceled it shortly after and it apparently did the trick and solved the problem. My friend thanked me a lot for saving him a couple of hundred dollars. My advice: never use that "self-clean" feature; some people think it's a dish-washer that will literally clean it whereas all it does is just make it super hot and burn all the things inside but you still have to clean it...

Dave Verstraete
02-06-2013, 5:07 PM
Sounds like he owes you a "cold one"