PDA

View Full Version : Used TS: Griz G1022 vs. Hitachi C10FL

Kesh Ikuma
02-03-2013, 9:37 PM
Since my last thread a little while back (asked about a much cheaper TS, which was recommended by many to pass), I've been keeping my eyes on local CLs and 2 just recently popped up back to back: Grizzly G1022 ($300) and Hitachi C10FL ($250). I've done some research on both and frankly don't know which to go with. G1022 seems to be a bit expensive to others listed elsewhere but have better fence and table extensions than C10FL, and C10FL seems to have better dust collection mechanism.

What do you guys think? Also, if you have any experience with either of these saws, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

Rich Riddle
02-03-2013, 11:16 PM
I am guessing you want a contractor's saw based upon the listings you show. Neither of those two saws to answer your question. The devil is in the details.

The only thing the seller discusses in the Grizzly ad is the price is firm at $300. The saw looks like it hasn't been maintained since the day it left the factory. He shows the name badge in the primary picture and then a rusted out saw in the second. The seller says nothing about the saw, just the money. Guess what the only thing he cares about is? Avoid this one like the plague.

The Hitachi saw looks to be in better condition and has a bit of rhetoric other than price. It's not been well-maintained either as proven by the rust spots. It looks to be a better buy though. What is your budget for a saw?

scott spencer
02-04-2013, 6:10 AM
I wouldn't offer $300 for that Griz. If you could get the C10FL for $200, it might be a decent deal if it's in good running condition....check the elevation mechanism. Ever think about a new R4512 with a 20% HF coupon for ~ $400?

Kesh Ikuma
02-04-2013, 9:19 AM
Rich,

If I jump now, $300 is the max. If I pass them, I'd be willing to go up to $500 used. I've been going back and forth about Grizzly G0715P ($894 shipped). I've also contemplated about a used cabinet saw, but in near future, I will need to do substantial repair of the workshop shed (water-damaged floor) so, for now, I'd rather get something that's more manageable to be carted out of the shop. May be in 10 years...

I thought of the manner the Grizzly seller posted, too. But I thought I can just go check out the saw and see how it runs and have a point of comparison for Hitachi.

Curt Harms
02-04-2013, 9:25 AM
The Griz pics are kind of interesting. The close up of the front looks pretty clean, the pic of the whole saw looks like some liquid ran down the front. Makes me wonder if it's the same saw. The fence on the Griz looks like the one that was original to my G1023. It was not a gem:rolleyes: but I already had a replacement. If I were looking at the Griz, I'd certain plan for a new fence so all of sudden that's a fairly expensive neglected saw. No idea about the Hitachi.

Kesh Ikuma
02-04-2013, 9:27 AM
Scott,

C10FL for $200

That's what I thought would be a good price, too. However, I've also noticed that it comes with "blades". So, if they have a decent set of blades, especially a dado set. I thought $250 would be an OK price. Although based on the condition of the sawtop, I'm not too optimistic...

R4512

After reading Fred's R4512 thread, I'm giving a serious thought about it. My 1st choice would be a used R3550/3560 in $200-$300 range but it hasn't turned up around here since I missed one in Nov.

Robert McNaull
02-04-2013, 12:46 PM
I owned that exact Hitachi model for four months until I stumbled into a general international saw at an auction for $400. I had bought the Hitachi for $300 still new in the box off craigslist, sold it to my neighbor for $400. It is a decent saw, the fence isn't overly strong but it is effective. Blade changing is nice as it has a blade lock requiring only one wrench to change the blade. The base is pretty flimsy however, I bought light angle iron and braced the four legs together at the bottom to stiffen it up. The stability is really noticed when you turn the saw on, the whole thing swivels back and forth on the legs until it comes up to speed. The caster system is really nice, I had it in my basement and was slick to just pop the casters down and roll the saw anywhere needed.

This is pretty much the same saw that is available at Lowe's I believe now labeled under porter cable. My 2 cents.

Bob

James Hendrix
02-04-2013, 1:09 PM
I just purchased the Griz 1022 a couple of weeks ago for $135 off CL an thought that was a fair price. I will be upgrading the fence with a Vega as
the Griz fence is pretty weak. Am in the process of tuning up the saw and I think it will last me for awhile.

Kesh Ikuma
02-04-2013, 1:59 PM
Robert, How easy/difficult was Hitachi to tune up? I saw a review on a current PC TS, in which the reviewer was having rough time getting it done.

Kesh Ikuma
02-04-2013, 2:02 PM
Griz 1022 for $135

Yeah, that sounds more reasonable price for that saw. If I go with either of these saws I'm considering, I'm planning on upgrading to at least T2 fence.

Barron Shaw
02-04-2013, 11:05 PM
I own the C10FL and I like it. The belt eventually wore out and I upgraded it. Now I can stand a penny on it while running. The fence has 3 nice holes which allow you to attach a sacrifical fence without those silly brackets. And the micro-adjust mechanism on the fence works just fine. THe blade lock is nice as mentioned above. The casters are good though they don't lift it very high so any sawdust will prevent movement. The dust collection is good especially if you tape up the air cracks, but it is a good idea to blow it out every so often. I've ripped miles of cedar at the deepest setting at a very quick pace. I think this is a really good saw for the money. One downside is that you'll need to build your own zero clearance insert because it sits on shoulders and won't accept typical inserts. But that didn't take too long to fashion.

Robert McNaull
02-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Rookie route, didn't tune the saw. Looks like the one you are looking at is missing the casters.

phil harold
02-05-2013, 7:27 AM
Last edited by Bruce Page; Yesterday at 12:17 PM. Reason: Removed active CL links.

craiaglist links are bannned?

Rich Riddle
02-05-2013, 7:40 AM
Last edited by Bruce Page; Yesterday at 12:17 PM. Reason: Removed active CL links.

Except in the deals section, yes Craigslist links are banned.

Curt Harms
02-05-2013, 8:14 AM

If it's the same deal as Ebay links, you can copy the text. You just can't make it 'clickable'. Keith posted the reason for that policy at one time but I don't recall what it was.