PDA

View Full Version : Pulley ?

jason walcott
05-02-2005, 8:53 PM
How difficult is it to bore and key a pulley? Grizzly sells pulleys with no bore, My problem is that my new Jet motor has a odd shaft it is 15/16in. I have contacted WMH Tool Group extensively and they say I cannot use the 3 1/2in pulley that comes on there tablesaw motors. Can anyone tell me why my 3hp motor that came out of a shaper doesn't have the same shaft size as the 3hp that comes out of there unisaw? It looks just like the unisaw motor.

thomas prevost
05-02-2005, 9:39 PM
perfect centering? how you going to balance it when you are done?

lou sansone
05-02-2005, 9:53 PM
I can not specifically answer your question, but I can say that if you want to put a pully on the 15/16 motor shaft then that is pretty easy. You can use a taper lock pully system sold by browning, woods, martin sprocket, dodge and other pully mfgs. they are available from your local bearing distributor or from mcmaster carr. That same group of companies also sell "fixed bore" sheaves in the same size range your are looking for.
lou

John Hart
05-02-2005, 10:10 PM
Jason,

With all the pulley manufacturers out there, you'll probably be able to find the right OD pulley with a 15/16ths bore. Boring a precision hole for a shaft is no small task with concentricity being extremely important.

What OD are you after?

Brad Olson
05-02-2005, 10:49 PM
either grainger.com or mcmaster.com may have what you need. If not you will need to consult a machinist

jason walcott
05-02-2005, 10:52 PM
John I'm after a 3 1/2in double or triple pulley.

Keith Outten
05-03-2005, 7:49 AM
Jason,

If you cannot locate a 15/16" bore pulley you can use a larger bore size and purchase a brass insert to adapt the bore size to your motor. The brass inserts are available for smooth bores or cut for keyways.

Anyone with a metal lathe could bore a 7/8" pulley out to 15/16" for you if there is enough material in the center to accomodate the larger bore. The keyway is another animal and requires more effort to cut or recut, that is why I would look for an adapter sleave.

John is right though, you should be able to find the pulley from any number of sources, possibly even a local bearing supply distributor.

John Hart
05-03-2005, 1:19 PM
<NOBR>Jason,</NOBR>
<NOBR>I checked out the McMaster site...Like Brad was saying, </NOBR>
<NOBR>these guys or Grainger have most everything</NOBR><NOBR>. </NOBR>
<NOBR>It looks like they carry a wide variety </NOBR>
<NOBR>sizes and styles and materials in the 15/16 bore range and your diameter.</NOBR>
<NOBR>www.mcmaster.com (http://www.mcmaster.com/)</NOBR>
<NOBR></NOBR>
<NOBR></NOBR>
<NOBR>But like Keith was saying...There are machine shops that do this sort</NOBR>
<NOBR>of thing. You can check the Thomas Register and find Everyone.</NOBR>
<NOBR>www.thomasregisterdirectory.com (http://www.thomasregisterdirectory.com)</NOBR>
<NOBR></NOBR>
<NOBR>looks like you'll find something in the $20 range though</NOBR>
<NOBR></NOBR>

Tim Morton
05-03-2005, 2:44 PM
pm me and I'll give you an email of the guy who got my pulley for me. I sent him and email and it arrived 2 days later...easy as pie. You can search for Hollarelectric.com and find it yourself...he was fast and cheap. its a cast pulley instead of machined, but it was a nice pulley and it will at least get your saw running while you locate a machined pulley.