PDA

View Full Version : Besides Corn, what should we see in Iowa?

Matt Meiser
02-03-2013, 9:15 PM
We are planning a trip to Kansas City this summer to visit family. The Iowa route is about the same as the St. Louis route and we want to stop at John Deere in Moline on the way. We'd probably leave on a Friday and make it most of the way to Moline that night. We could take up to a couple days to get to KC if desired. What's worth seeing in Iowa? We drove through Iowa when I was in high school and there was seriously a LOT of corn there!

Is it worth timing our travels to make it to The Woodsmith Store in Des Moines? Its a few blocks off the freeway right on the way it looks. LOML jr has a friend who moved to Des Moines so we'll probably be making a stop there for at least a meal regarless.

We'll probably take the Missouri route home and visit family and maybe my boss in the St. Louis area on the return trip. I lobbied for a via-Springfield route and LOML asked if that meant we should take the truck instead of the car. That sounds like an invitation, doesn't it? http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/eek.gifhttp://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/smilies/biggrin.gif (but seriously, driving the car and having something shipped would actually be cheaper.)

Rick Moyer
02-03-2013, 9:19 PM
Soybeans!.

Matt Meiser
02-03-2013, 9:21 PM
Most years I can go to the back of my own property and see those all day long!

I should mention, we'd be going I-80 to I-35 if that wasn't obvious.

Shawn Pixley
02-03-2013, 11:48 PM
I recommend visiting the Merchants' National Bank in Grinnell, Iowa if you are interested in Architecture. It was designed by Louis Sullivan. Another place might be the Des Moines Art Center. It has wings by three eminant Architects: Eliel Saarinen, I.M. Pei, and Richard Meier. It also has a nice collection.

just a thought.

Kevin L. Pauba
02-04-2013, 7:25 AM
Tha Amana Colonies (about 1/2 hr west of Iowa Cities off of I80) are a nice stop ... great food and they have a blacksmith and woodworking shop there too. I believe there is also a big hand tool show there this spring.

Howard Garner
02-04-2013, 8:14 AM
Also Pella Iowa. The largest windmill operated mill in the US.
The Little Brown Church (in the Vail) is also a nice stop, but a little out of the way.

Howard Garner

Kevin Bourque
02-04-2013, 8:55 AM
People don't normally go to Iowa ,ON PURPOSE, to see stuff.

KC on the other hand has amazing barbeque:)

Rick Hutcheson
02-04-2013, 9:00 AM
The Woodsmith Store is something you should stop and see. It has all kinds of tools you dream about having. You could stop by my place and see the over 200 antique scrollsaws I have here. The collection has been in a few magazines in the past. I am about 6 miles from the Woodsmith store, 3 miles off the interstate.

John Pratt
02-04-2013, 10:01 AM
I agree with most of the other suggestions as an Iowa native (now living in Oklahoma).

A couple I would add:

1. Iowa 80 truck stop (worlds largest). Sounds silly but this place is Huge and has stuff you never thought you would see at a truck stop.
2. Jethro's BBQ Restaurant in Des Moines (recently featured on United States of Bacon).
3. Living History Farms in Urbandale. They have old school black smiths and wood working going on. You will have to check the schedule on thier website.
4. The Machine Shed Restaurant (also featured on United States of Bacon). Don't go for the Bacon there, get the Iowa Chop.
5. The Des Moines Botanical Gardens.
6. The capital building in Des Moines is one of the most beautiful in the Country.

BOB OLINGER
02-04-2013, 10:30 AM
We are planning a trip to Kansas City this summer to visit family. The Iowa route is about the same as the St. Louis route and we want to stop at John Deere in Moline on the way. We'd probably leave on a Friday and make it most of the way to Moline that night. We could take up to a couple days to get to KC if desired. What's worth seeing in Iowa? We drove through Iowa when I was in high school and there was seriously a LOT of corn there!

Is it worth timing our travels to make it to The Woodsmith Store in Des Moines? Its a few blocks off the freeway right on the way it looks. LOML jr has a friend who moved to Des Moines so we'll probably be making a stop there for at least a meal regarless.

We'll probably take the Missouri route home and visit family and maybe my boss in the St. Louis area on the return trip. I lobbied for a via-Springfield route and LOML asked if that meant we should take the truck instead of the car. That sounds like an invitation, doesn't it? :eek::D (but seriously, driving the car and having something shipped would actually be cheaper.)

Hi Matt,

I live in Ames which is 30 mi. north of Des Moines. IMO, I would suggest stopping at the Amana Colonies which is only about 30 north off I-80 between IA City and Des Moines. Although there are several colonies, Amana is the center of attraction with a lot of shops. FYI, I'm quite certain they closed the woodworking shop a while back (as they had an auction). None-the-less, you can get tourist info by contacting them or the tourism dept. at the State of IA. Living History Farms on the Northwest corner of Des Moines is a big attraction. IMO, I wouldn't waste time at the Woodsmith Store. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful store (I bought my Sawstop and joiner there), but it's just a store with good quality tools, etc. If you're a baseball fan, the Bob Feller Hall of Fame is west of DM a few miles (although I've not been there, I plan to someday). If I think of more good suggestions, I'll let you know.

Mel Fulks
02-04-2013, 11:08 AM
Miss Iowa. Saw her on TV. She's pretty!

Kevin L. Pauba
02-04-2013, 12:53 PM
If you have enough spare time, the covered bridges in Madison Country (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_County,_Iowa#Covered_bridges) are also nice, if you're into the heavy timber kinda thing. Just West of Des Moines around Winterset.

Mark Patoka
02-04-2013, 2:59 PM
I believe Wood Magazine headquarters is in Des Moines also and they invite people to stop by.

Brian Libby
02-04-2013, 3:23 PM
John Deere! :D

Jim Matthews
02-04-2013, 5:45 PM
Unlike the enormous facsimile featured on Billy Connolly's Route 66,
this one is functional...

http://www.worldslargestthings.com/iowa/rocker.htm

Larry Frank
02-04-2013, 7:49 PM
The Field of Dreams in Dyersville, Iowa

Art Mulder
02-04-2013, 9:06 PM
Matt,

Back in the early 80s my college roommate was from western Iowa. I remember that he always looked forward to seeing a serious electrical storm when he was back home in Iowa. He didn't think much of the storms in Michigan (We were at Calvin College.)... :p

Todd Willhoit
02-04-2013, 9:48 PM
I'll second a visit to Pella. If you can be there in early May they have an amazing tulip festival. Definitely worth the drive.

The historic American Gothic House located in Eldon, IA is an interesting visit too. They loan clothes and a pitchfork so you can take a photo like the painting.

If you do get to Eldon, hop over to Ottumwa to the Canteen Lunch in the Alley for a loose-meat hamburger. Best sandwich in town.

While I don't know the status of the Amana furniture shop mentioned earlier, you can visit Schanz Furniture (www.schanzfurniture.com (http://www.schanzfurniture.com)) in South Amana. It is a sixth-generation family owned shop. I used to live in the area and knew Mike Schanz. He is a great guy and he might give you a tour if you ask!

John Pratt
02-05-2013, 9:27 AM
If you do get to Eldon, hop over to Ottumwa to the Canteen Lunch in the Alley for a loose-meat hamburger. Best sandwich in town.

Blasphemy!!

Everyone in Iowa knows that the best loose-meat sandwich is at Maid-Rite. Several locations around Iowa including my hometown of Marshalltown and at the welcome center at exit 4 on I35 on the sourthern border. The Welcome center also has a large selection of Amish handmade products for sale to include baskets, quilts, candles, etc.

Antoher blasphemous act would be to ask for ketchup/catsup while at the Maid-Rite restaurant.

Todd Willhoit
02-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Blasphemy!!

I've had both. While Maid-Rite kept me full, the Canteen kept me happy! It is truly one of a kind. ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canteen_Lunch_in_the_Alley
http://newyork.grubstreet.com/2012/04/the-best-places-to-eat-in-every-state.html#photo=16x00038

Jim Rimmer
02-06-2013, 1:33 PM
Lots of good suggestions. My votes:

1. Amana (even if the wood shop is closed; great German food)
2. Pella
3. Living History farm. They take you out on a tractor pulled trailer and you walk back through farm settings at different times in history from the original Indians to 1950's farm house. In the summer the reenactors will probably be there.

Roger Newby
02-06-2013, 1:39 PM
The Des Moines Zoo. Only has one animal.............a pig with a thousand disguises.:eek::D

Shawn Christ
02-06-2013, 6:46 PM
Matt I live in Moline and am from this area. I definitely agree with all the suggestions here. The two furniture makers in Amana have some amazing quality stuff (with less than amazing prices though). If your family likes to shop, a cool sporting goods store is Scheel's in Coralville and Tanger outlet mall in Williamsburg, both are on I-80 near Iowa City. There is also Adventureland in Altoona, near Des Moines, which is Iowa's micro-version of Disney World. You will see Casey's General Stores (gas stations) everywhere -- it is an Iowa staple -- good pizza. Hy-Vee grocery stores are everywhere too.

Since you intend to stay in Moline, I would recommend you stay downtown at the Radisson or Stoney Creek Inn, both are near the John Deere Pavilion with is definitely a must-see. There are some great restaurants nearby all within walking distance, let me know if you have something in mind. If you like craft beers go to Bent River (if you like beer and coffee try the Uncommon Stout!). If you like candy check out Lagomarcino's, a 100 year-old chocolate shop. John Deere's world headquarters campus is a short drive away on the outskirts of town and it also has a museum. If you are a military history buff: the Rock Island Arsenal. A gambler: Jumer's in Rock Island (for non-smokers) or the Isle in Bettendorf, IA (for smokers). Bowling and laser tag: QC Entertainment Center. A cyclist: 60-mile paved great river trail from your hotel upriver to Savanna, IL. Concerts: i-wireless Center.

PM me if I can help with your stay or trip thru eastern Iowa. And one last suggestion, I-80 and I-35 can be pretty bland outside of the towns. If you have any extra time, take a detour along the Mississippi River -- always scenic -- especially north of the QC which I don't think is on your way.

phil harold
02-06-2013, 7:38 PM
Many good thing in Iowa, as some mentioned
a couple others would be

Bily Clocks Museum & Antonin Dvorak Exhibit Spillville
Effigy Mounds Harpers Ferry, Iowa

then just because they are there
Winnebago Industries Factory Tour Forest City, Iowa
Largest Strawberry in the World 111 E. Mission St., Strawberry Point, IA

Quinn McCarthy
02-08-2013, 11:36 AM
+1 for Amana. My sister in law live there. Spent a lot of time there. Make sure to see the smokehouse butcher shop and millcreek micro brewery there. There is a vinyard trhat is just west of Amana that has tours and wine tasting.

Quinn

Matt Meiser
06-23-2013, 4:27 PM
We are about 10 minutes from home on our way back. John Deere was fun as was lunch at the Iowa-80/World's Largest Truckstop and a quick visit to the trucking museum there. We were really disappointed by Amana. A significant number of the shops were selling the same stuff touristy shops everywhere sell, much of it imported from Asia. We did get some tasty wine at one of the wineries,but we were done there after about 4 hours, not including dinner and our stupid waiter put a serious damper on that. We had plans to stay in Cedar Rapids and go back, but just blew right by on the way out and went on to Des Moines. I wish we'd switched our reservations to Des Moines as we could have done even more there with a little planning. We hit the Machine Shed resturant for dinner and breakfast, went to the Woodsmith Shop, went to the Living History Farm, and relaxed at the pool and our upgraded room. Looks like there were several other things we could have done. Still an enjoyable diversion from our main plans for the trip.

Edit: oh, and we saw surprisingly little corn--we were told it's way behind this year due to a cold wet spring.

Ken Fitzgerald
06-23-2013, 5:25 PM
You probably missed the soy beans too!

ray hampton
06-24-2013, 8:22 PM
We are about 10 minutes from home on our way back. John Deere was fun as was lunch at the Iowa-80/World's Largest Truckstop and a quick visit to the trucking museum there. We were really disappointed by Amana. A significant number of the shops were selling the same stuff touristy shops everywhere sell, much of it imported from Asia. We did get some tasty wine at one of the wineries,but we were done there after about 4 hours, not including dinner and our stupid waiter put a serious damper on that. We had plans to stay in Cedar Rapids and go back, but just blew right by on the way out and went on to Des Moines. I wish we'd switched our reservations to Des Moines as we could have done even more there with a little planning. We hit the Machine Shed resturant for dinner and breakfast, went to the Woodsmith Shop, went to the Living History Farm, and relaxed at the pool and our upgraded room. Looks like there were several other things we could have done. Still an enjoyable diversion from our main plans for the trip.

Edit: oh, and we saw surprisingly little corn--we were told it's way behind this year due to a cold wet spring.

too bad about missing the corn , BUT this give your family another good reason to go BACK