PDA

View Full Version : E-Z Guide Rocks

Bob Noles
05-02-2005, 7:38 PM
A few months ago there was a thread here about the E-Z guide system that prompted me to pull the trigger and purchase one. It has sat in the corner of my shop still in the box since arriving as my busy schedule kept me from using it until now. This weekend my wife and I took a few days to go up and work on a old camper that we purchased as a weekend get away. We had gutted it down to the bare metal walls and 2X2 framing a couple of weeks ago and were ready to begin repaneling with bead board. I had hoped last week that I would have an opportunity to get the E-Z system out and get familar with it here at home in the comfort of my shop, but that was a lost cause, again due to a busy schedule.

Well, I threw E-Z in the back of my pick up along with many other tools as well as my 10+ year old "Skill" saw that is about shot (hoping for a new PC Mag for my birthday next month) :D . I figured I would just have to get to know the system upon arriving at the camper.

I cannot believe it took me only 15 minutes to have the system put together and cutting on the first piece of 4X8 panel. Within another 10 minutes my wife was on the other end of the board helping me clamp the guide prior to each cut (she knows nothing about tools or construction). This system is the cat's meow. I feel sure it cut my saw time in half compared to other methods and I felt very safe using it. I was ripping panels in every direction including some trialgular shaped pieces. It is so E-Z to use and as acurate as anyone could ask for. I think we went thru more than 15 pieces of panel and over 75 cuts during our 3 day working stay. Some of the cuts were even for pieces under 1 square foot and the system handled it so well. I used 2 saw horses and a few sacrificial 2X2's as my work table and had very little problem, although I believe the saw table and guides that Dino offers would have been an even better choice and I will be looking hard at adding this to my system soon.

I say Kudos to Dino for his excellent innovation and quality of craftsmanship.

If anyone is in need of a panel saw system, this is the one for this price range. I am as sold as I can be after putting it thru the paces I did over the weekend.

Oskar Scylla
05-02-2005, 8:07 PM
Thanks for posting that, I am looking for a saw guide system and comparing EZSmart and Festool. Good to know it worked out so well for you!

Greg Mann
05-02-2005, 8:13 PM
Thanks for posting that, I am looking for a saw guide system and comparing EZSmart and Festool. Good to know it worked out so well for you!

Plluuueeeze, tell me you're kidding!!!!:( :D :rolleyes: :p :eek: :eek: ;)

Actually, Oskar, this has been done several times here, and usually evokes passions that are better left alone. If you do a search using Festool and EZSmart you will be able to learn everything you want to know and much more that you don't.

Greg

John Miliunas
05-02-2005, 8:34 PM
Bob, I'm really glad you found it all it's been reported to be! It really IS very EZ! :) But, you mentioned something in particular, which caught my eye. You said your old Skil is on its last leg and are hoping for a new PC for your B-day. No arguments that PC makes a fine circular saw. But my Dewalt was also on its last leg (bad bearings, I think) and I made a slightly different choice. I have to believe our house was built by a crew of half-blind and very hung over carpenters. Nothing is square or level and trying to match anything up when it comes to repair/refurb, is usually accompanied by many not-so-nice words, many of which may still not be listed in Webster's! Hence, I have found a need to even rip 2x material at assorted angles. EZ with my old Dewalt missed cutting completely through by about 1/4". So, flip it over, reclamp and pass over it, usually getting the line in between the two cuts almost invisible and just fine for construction-type work. However, time consuming. So, when it came time to replace the old dawg, I went with a Bosch 8-1/4" circular saw!!! I can now still use the guide and clear cut below the guide a full 1-11/16"!:) Even EZ-er than before, clean, fast and safe! As you say, this system just flat-out rocks!:D :cool:

Bob Noles
05-02-2005, 9:18 PM
Bob, I'm really glad you found it all it's been reported to be! It really IS very EZ! :) But, you mentioned something in particular, which caught my eye. You said your old Skil is on its last leg and are hoping for a new PC for your B-day. No arguments that PC makes a fine circular saw. But my Dewalt was also on its last leg (bad bearings, I think) and I made a slightly different choice. I have to believe our house was built by a crew of half-blind and very hung over carpenters. Nothing is square or level and trying to match anything up when it comes to repair/refurb, is usually accompanied by many not-so-nice words, many of which may still not be listed in Webster's! Hence, I have found a need to even rip 2x material at assorted angles. EZ with my old Dewalt missed cutting completely through by about 1/4". So, flip it over, reclamp and pass over it, usually getting the line in between the two cuts almost invisible and just fine for construction-type work. However, time consuming. So, when it came time to replace the old dawg, I went with a Bosch 8-1/4" circular saw!!! I can now still use the guide and clear cut below the guide a full 1-11/16"!:) Even EZ-er than before, clean, fast and safe! As you say, this system just flat-out rocks!:D :cool:

John,

You have made an excellent point that I had not considered and I can sure see the advantage. Do you know the weight of this model? I have a slight muscle disability and weight can sometimes be a factor in my decision. I hate decisions at my age anyhow :eek:

I sure appreciate your wisdom in the larger blade size.

Daniel Herbert
05-02-2005, 9:33 PM
What is E-Z Guide? Can someone supply a link? Thanks.

John Miliunas
05-02-2005, 9:45 PM

Buty, sent you a PM! :) :cool:

Bob Johnson2
05-02-2005, 9:51 PM
John,

You have made an excellent point that I had not considered and I can sure see the advantage. Do you know the weight of this model? I have a slight muscle disability and weight can sometimes be a factor in my decision. I hate decisions at my age anyhow :eek:

I've had this one for about 15 years, it may be a different model # but it looks identical. I've used it cutting all sorts of 2X material, many wet 2x12" Doug fir without a bind. The only problem I've found is getting my 2nd blade as it's about due, until this post anyway. Just looked up the weight and saw Makita sells the 8.25" TK carbide blade. Weight says 11.7 lbs net @ Makita . com

John Miliunas
05-02-2005, 9:53 PM
John,

Bob, it's 13lbs., running a 15 amp motor. The blade supplied is surprisingly, quite good, as well!:) Haven't use it much yet, but so far, I'm happy with it.:) This isn't where I got mine, but you can get a refurb (mine is a refurb, as well!) for @$135.00 : http://bosch.cpotools.com/reconditioned/saws/circular_saws/1656-46.html?src=google:) :cool:

Ken Salisbury
05-03-2005, 12:51 AM
Here is a link to EZ Smart:

Eureka Zone (http://www.eurekazone.com/)

Moderator note:
In order to be a bona fide member of Saw Mill Creek the Terms of Service requires you to use a real first and last name. Please send Jackie Outten a private message with that information and she will update your registration to reflect your real name.

Thanks in advance.

http://www.oldrebelworkshop.com/misc/moderator.gif

Keith Outten
05-03-2005, 7:13 AM
Dino will be at the SMC SwapMeet on May 14th demonstrating his system. I don't want to give away any secrets but I hear he has improved his system recently. Dino has also offered one of his Smart Systems as a drawing prize so someone will be taking a free system home.

Oskar Scylla
05-03-2005, 8:49 AM
Plluuueeeze, tell me you're kidding!!!!:( :D :rolleyes: :p :eek: :eek: ;)

Actually, Oskar, this has been done several times here, and usually evokes passions that are better left alone. If you do a search using Festool and EZSmart you will be able to learn everything you want to know and much more that you don't.

Greg

Sorry Mr. Mann, I am new here and didn't know this was a big issue. But I still am glad to hear his comments even if they are old to some of you.

John Miliunas
05-03-2005, 8:57 AM
Sorry Mr. Mann, I am new here and didn't know this was a big issue. But I still am glad to hear his comments even if they are old to some of you.

Oskar, NO need to apologize! You're right: Hard to know the history of this one without spending virtually hours going over previous threads! It's one of those things, which has been hashed over many times, with a lot of fervor, if I may say so!:) Leave it at the two systems in question are probably THE two which one wants to consider. They both have their merits and are of high quality. I'm a Festool junkie, but own the EZ Guide. Others have no other Festool equipment, yet own the ATF. :)

I think the most important thing with this decision is that you are considering a safer way of accomplishing what can often be a tedious and dangerous cutting circumstance. The fact that either system is extremely versatile AND portable, makes them that much more attractive! Good luck with your decision!:) I have little doubt that you would be happy with either system!:cool:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-03-2005, 9:26 AM
Oscar, I can't belive nobody noticed! It's your first post! Congrats!

Welcome to SMC! As you know, you have joined a wonderful forum. There are very few things that ever get heated here, guide systems seem to be one of them :) No harm, no foul!

Good luck in your decision. I have the EZ and I could not be happier with it! It does many jobs that are clumsy or down right unsafe by any other means.

Once again, Welcome to SMC, I truely hope you enjoy your time here.

Oskar Scylla
05-03-2005, 9:51 AM
Thanks Jeff, seems like a lot of things to learn here!

Harry Goodwin
05-03-2005, 10:11 AM
OK I too want to know what an E-Z guide is? Where will the answer be? Harry

John Miliunas
05-03-2005, 10:26 AM
OK I too want to know what an E-Z guide is? Where will the answer be? Harry

Harry, here's one place to start: http://www.eurekazone.com/ :) :cool:

Greg Mann
05-03-2005, 10:31 AM

Oskar,
Please call me Greg, and don't be sorry. I re-read you statement and I believe I misinterpreted a little. You stated you wanted to do a comparison, not that you wanted us to help you with it. :o I think it is wise to do a comparison because both systems have a lot to offer. The threads are here if you search. The pros and cons of both have been covered.

Greg

Bob Noles
05-03-2005, 11:27 AM
Oskar,

I too would like to extend a big welcome to you.

As you can see I have only been a member of SMC for a few months and had no idea of this being a heated issue when I made my post. I was just so happy with the product that I wanted to post a personal testimony of my experience with it as I would with any new and worthwhile quality I was pleased with. Through my post I was able to learn something I had not considerated about circular saw size in making a decision on a future purchase. As John said, this is a wonderful forum and a great group of people.

I hope I have not accidently opened a can of worms :confused:

Happy woodworking....

Harry Goodwin
05-03-2005, 2:29 PM
Thanks John for that site. Never have seen anything quite like that before. Harry

Greg Mann
05-03-2005, 2:42 PM
Oskar,

I too would like to extend a big welcome to you.

As you can see I have only been a member of SMC for a few months and had no idea of this being a heated issue when I made my post. I was just so happy with the product that I wanted to post a personal testimony of my experience with it as I would with any new and worthwhile quality I was pleased with. Through my post I was able to learn something I had not considerated about circular saw size in making a decision on a future purchase. As John said, this is a wonderful forum and a great group of people.

I hope I have not accidently opened a can of worms :confused:

Happy woodworking....

Bob and Oskar,

There is absolutely nothing wrong with expressing your pleasure, or displeasure with a product. That is part of the process around here. In times past, this particular Festool vs. Eurekazone issue has generated more heat than light. We even refer to it as F vs. E because everyone knows the history. We just excersize a little more caution these days about not getting started on the comparisons. Not much, if anything, has been left unsaid, so it became counterproductive to rehash things. You will find this forum to be remarkably civil, and when things get overly passionate, a kind of self modulating characteristic takes hold, or the moderators will remind us to mind our manners. Makes it a great place.

Greg

Oskar Scylla
05-03-2005, 3:42 PM
Thank you also for the welcome Bob, and no hard feelings Greg. I searched the postings about this and see how you were feeling about it Greg, as you have said I guess you are an "F" guy:p . Like Harry I'm really impressed with the photos on the "E" website of what you can do with it!

Keith Outten
05-03-2005, 6:35 PM
Woodworkers are often passionate when they find a product that they believe to be nothing short of a fantastic value. When competing products that are very close in design are debated the conversation can get lively. Personally I believe this is a good thing and I don't mind jumping into a thread to throw my 2 cents into the pool.

Generally our members respect each other enough to listen and learn and everyone wins when posts are made by woodworkers who think before they type, this is especially true concerning yours truly. Aaron Koehl and I are rarely the ones to end a lively thread, our members generally let us know when the topic has been beat to death so the self-moderating format works really well here at The Creek.

Dino Makropoulos
05-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Thanks John for that site. Never have seen anything quite like that before. Harry

Thanks Harry.
From all the folks who designed the EZ-Smart. :)

And what you saw was just the first face of the "Dead Wood Concept."
In VA we will see the second face.
Where versatility and speed meets safety and accuracy. :cool:

I hope you can make it at the swap meet.
Thanks again. I will make a poster with your post for
our design team (N.A.S.A.) :rolleyes: ( Not Another Stupid Assecorie) ;)

YCF Dino

Eddie Watkins
05-03-2005, 10:36 PM
I have the EZ guide and have just about quit using my table saw to cut full sheets or cross grain cuts on plywood. It is dead on accurate and creates no chip outs. It is also EZ to use.(Sorry, I couldn't resist:D )

I recently ordered the work case on a Monday with it due to arrive on Thursday. When it didn't show up on the web site as being shipped I sent an e-mail and received and immediate response that it would be shipped that day. I received it 2 days later and it included a couple of extra edges and anti-chip plates. I wasn't in a big hurry so it didn't bother me that it was a little late but I sure appreciated the extras for the delay. Pretty good customer service, IMO.

Dino Makropoulos
05-03-2005, 10:53 PM
I have the EZ guide and have just about quit using my table saw to cut full sheets or cross grain cuts on plywood. It is dead on accurate and creates no chip outs. It is also EZ to use.(Sorry, I couldn't resist:D )

I recently ordered the work case on a Monday with it due to arrive on Thursday. When it didn't show up on the web site as being shipped I sent an e-mail and received and immediate response that it would be shipped that day. I received it 2 days later and it included a couple of extra edges and anti-chip plates. I wasn't in a big hurry so it didn't bother me that it was a little late but I sure appreciated the extras for the delay. Pretty good customer service, IMO.

Thanks Eddie.
We send extra replacement parts to save our customers on future shipping. :cool:
Some times the shipping can be more than the parts. :mad:
We know what you need and if we can save you $$ why not?
Thanks again.
YCF Dino

Oskar Scylla
05-05-2005, 10:03 AM
So I'm trying to make my decision on the two guides. I have been reading from the Festool forum and I think I know what they like so much. But from the SmartGuide users on here, does it really do things so well as they say on their website? Thank you for letting me know.

Oskar

John Miliunas
05-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Yes, it does what it is reported to do, does so nicely and, most probably, more!:) I've had mine for probably close to a year now and it's not let me down, faced with any number of the tasks reported on the site. I have cut down 1/8" plexi and challenged people to pick the factory cut side from my cut. They couldn't! I've cross-cut el'cheopo plywood with NO splintering. I regularly use it to straighten out my rough-sawn boards before processing. It's done it all, saving me great amounts of time and material, while at the same time, allowing me to do the processes safely. Would I do it again??? Heck yeah!:) :cool:

Mark Singer
05-05-2005, 12:20 PM
My Festool saw was rocking also...if you use a clamp it will hold it steady and you can then make the cut...:)

Glenn Clabo
05-05-2005, 12:29 PM
Oskar,
I can honestly say that I have not been disappointed with how any of Dino's products work. In fact... everytime I use them I'm amazed at the quality, ease of use and results. As good as the website is in explaining what it can do...It really doesn't do justice to what happens when you get to use it yourself.

Then there's Dino...who goes beyond anyone I have ever dealt. I don't think I got/get special treatement in anyway...it's who he is. You need to make your own decision about the different products...but Dino can't be beat.

Hoa Dinh
05-05-2005, 2:50 PM
...but Dino can't be beat.
No, I can't beat him for sure :D . Or else who's gonna send me the new-style SRK to replace my old-style SRK?

Thanks again, Dino. Your products are second only to your support.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-05-2005, 3:17 PM
My Festool saw was rocking also...if you use a clamp it will hold it steady and you can then make the cut...:)

Mark, Can you tell me what Festool products you have to buy in order to cut 8 foot lengh sheet goods? You can't with the basic system you buy, right? I'm confused as to what you need to buy in order to do the above procedure. Thanks Alan

Keith Christopher
05-05-2005, 4:16 PM
Just kidding ! You know I love you guys and gals ! But due to this thread I just ordered the 50" EZ guide. Yep just bought it online about 2 minutes ago. Sheesh. I am such a sucker. but truth be told I need one. Most of my next job is sheet goods and I dread trying to cut them on the TS. Anyone know if it works well the PC saws ? Or should I buy the Bosch John ?

Hoa Dinh
05-05-2005, 4:38 PM
Anyone know if it works well the PC saws ?
It works well with my PC saw (http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/hoa_dinh@sbcglobal.net/detail?.dir=63e0&.dnm=842d.jpg&.src=ph).

Bob Noles
05-05-2005, 5:11 PM
Just kidding ! You know I love you guys and gals ! But due to this thread I just ordered the 50" EZ guide. Yep just bought it online about 2 minutes ago. Sheesh. I am such a sucker. but truth be told I need one. Most of my next job is sheet goods and I dread trying to cut them on the TS. Anyone know if it works well the PC saws ? Or should I buy the Bosch John ?

Keith,

I don't believe you will ever be sorry about your decision. This system is so much better and faster than fooling around with a TS. I like it so well that I am giving serious thought to the router plate attachment for dado and rabbit cuts.

Cheers

Oskar Scylla
05-05-2005, 6:34 PM
Mark, Can you tell me what Festool products you have to buy in order to cut 8 foot lengh sheet goods? You can't with the basic system you buy, right? I'm confused as to what you need to buy in order to do the above procedure. Thanks Alan

It seems to me personally that the big advanatges of the Festool is the dust collecting? But what does Alan mean by this? I can't cut an 8 foot sheet of plywood with the standard Festool? The SmartGuide one looks like you can, right?
Sorry to be so confused, I know there has been a lot of arguing about this from what I read here.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-05-2005, 7:18 PM
It seems to me personally that the big advanatges of the Festool is the dust collecting? But what does Alan mean by this? I can't cut an 8 foot sheet of plywood with the standard Festool? The SmartGuide one looks like you can, right?
Sorry to be so confused, I know there has been a lot of arguing about this from what I read here.

I think the standard guide you get with the Festool will only let you cut across the 4' side of a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood. The site only gives measurements in metric but I think I'm right. With the Eureka the standard guide is long enough to cut an 8' sheet or board. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The only reason I asked about this was if you have to buy an extra length guide for the Festool, I'd like to know that up front before I buy. That's all; please don't read anything else into this. :)

Bob Noles
05-05-2005, 7:27 PM
Alan,

The EZSmart system comes in both 50 and 100 inch systems. The 100 inch system is a little more costly than the 50 inch system.

Hope this helps.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-05-2005, 7:31 PM
I think the standard guide you get with the Festool will only let you cut across the 4' side of a 4x8 foot sheet of plywood. The site only gives measurements in metric but I think I'm right. With the Eureka the standard guide is long enough to cut an 8' sheet or board. Please correct me if I'm wrong. The only reason I asked about this was if you have to buy an extra length guide for the Festool, I'd like to know that up front before I buy. That's all; please don't read anything else into this. :)

O.k. I checked another Festool seller and the guide included with the AT55 is 55" long. To add to that guide another 55" piece adds another $60-70 including a connector. This will make cutting 8' ply possible.

So the base system at $410 plus another guide segment brings it all to $480 which after shipping will be around $500.

Greg Mann
05-05-2005, 8:40 PM
So the base system at $410 plus another guide segment brings it all to $480 which after shipping will be around $500.

Which, of course, includes the saw.

Mark Singer
05-05-2005, 8:51 PM
Just a couple of guide rails and 2 joining clamps....Bob Marino took good care of me...!

John Miliunas
05-05-2005, 9:12 PM

Keith, truth be told, just about *any* right cut saw will do just fine. I even had mine rigged up with a cheapie Ryobi and got nice cuts! I know a LOT of folks just plain old happy with their PC saws and I know they work well on the EZ system, as well. My thing with the Bosch is the larger capacity, for which I have a need for. Most folks will be completely happy and satisfied with a 7-1/4" blade. Plus, the bigger blade does come with its own problem: Those blades aren't as readily available, so one needs to plan ahead! Last I checked, my local town hardware store does NOT carry 8-1/4" blades!:( But hey, CONGRATS on the new up and coming tool!:) :cool:

Joseph N. Myers
05-05-2005, 9:21 PM
Alan,

The EZSmart system comes in both 50 and 100 inch systems. The 100 inch system is a little more costly than the 50 inch system.

Hope this helps.

The basic length of the guide system is 50". With the basic system, you get two 50" guides, or 100". But to get a longer guide, just keep adding 50" sections.

I cut a lot of 12'-13' + rough lumber and use three 50" and one 25" section (14'7") to put a straight edge on them. I have a 17" section that I use when cross cutting this lumber - works great.

Bottom line, you can make the guide as long or short as you want, attaching/detaching lengths takes around a minute and there is no "bump" between sections.

Love my system and really looking forward to the new stuff that Dino is coming out with. BTW, when Dino replys with "YCF", stands for "Your Carpenter Friend".

Regards, Joe

Oskar Scylla
05-05-2005, 10:10 PM
So from what I am reading is this right?

The Eurekazone makes cuts on both left and right side of rail, and the Festool only one side?

The Festool only works with the Festool saw and the Eurekazone SmartGuide works with any saw (I guess now also with left blade?)

To make a new edge on the Festool I have to peel off some rubber with a heat gun it says on the user forum? The SmartGuide the new edge just slides in?

If I use my saw with the Eurekazone bottom base I still have "antisplinter" on the saw even when not using the guide but not so with the Festool?

But it seems the Festool special saw has the best dust collector?

But it seems to me very simple that the Festool is much more money for mostly better dust collecting?

Do most of the Eurekazone people here use the SmartRouter also? I have a big Elu router that I think would be nice to have guided.

Oskar Scylla
05-05-2005, 10:28 PM
Now I am more confused even. A person on Festool user forum says this:

I am fesfool newbie, and do not get anywhere near the dust collection that I have read about here, i.e. "virtually no dust". If you would be so kind as to point me in the right direction. I am in trouble with my wife...
I am using ATF55 with CT22. I get a huge amount of dust spewing from the front and side fo the saw. Bob recommended that I cover the side opennings with tape, but while this helps, I am still not anywhere near the "virtually no dust" experienced by everyone else.

And also he says this:

BTW this saw sounds nasty (horrible grinding noise), like it is going to give up and die at any moment. I read a message about this; how can this be normal, even with speed control?

And so someone responds this way:

To get good DC the blade needs to be in the wood on both sides.
That is, there needs to be a waste piece that gets cut off. Without that waste piece covering the right side of the blade, a large amount of dust is thrown off to the right at high velocity,
too fast for the vac to get. If you are re-trimming an edge,
(and your wife won't allow any more dust) secure a scrap of
wood next the piece you are trimming so the blade stays
within the "canyon". It's best to cut that scrap as you trim
the keeper.

So this is telling me I must make another piece or sometimes I will have terrible dust with the Festool also?

I think tomorrow I will call YCF Dino to buy one. Is there a Eurekazone User Forum? Should I buy the router guide also?

M. A. Espinoza
05-05-2005, 11:28 PM
Is it just me or do some of the EZ Guide posts sound like their coming from a marketing dept? Some sound like woodworkers and but some seem hyped.

Kind of like some of the "reviews" on Amazon where the author or publishers employees post raves.

Maybe I'm just too cynical. I don't own either so don't have a dog in this fight.

But I do think the plunge feature is a big one with the Festool. That and the dust collection. To have someone complain about dust on a trim cut seems fishy. Unless you have a full shroud of course its going to spray off to the side.

Dino Makropoulos
05-06-2005, 12:27 AM
Is it just me or do some of the EZ Guide posts sound like their coming from a marketing dept? Some sound like woodworkers and but some seem hyped.

Kind of like some of the "reviews" on Amazon where the author or publishers employees post raves.

Maybe I'm just too cynical. I don't own either so don't have a dog in this fight.

But I do think the plunge feature is a big one with the Festool. That and the dust collection. To have someone complain about dust on a trim cut seems fishy. Unless you have a full shroud of course its going to spray off to the side.

M.
Good thing you step in. I was ready to order one. :confused:
And the guy with the dust problem, he may have the vacuum off.
You never know anymore what is real and what is.. fishy. :confused:
One guy in another forum post that he was having a major problem with the EZ.
So, I send him an email and post in the forum to 'better' explain the problem and return the Ez with the saw and the saw blade. (For one day.) with all shipping paid.

Back to woodworking?
We can spend the rest of our life's debating the ABCD and the E VS F.
At the swap meet i will have 5 Circular saws and 3 Routers and 4 guide rail systems. Few cuts and we can all see what is the Best saw-router-guide rail
etc etc. Best cut- Best reach - Best Plunge , Whatever.
Left bladed Vs right bladed. warm drives VS sidewinders.
And why not? Table saw Vs the guided system.

No more posting from me. last time I ask Greg to help us out with the Left Vs Right bladed saws and I'm still waiting for an answer. :(
I hope we can find a lefty at the swap meet to give us some answers that can help others in making the right decisions :)
Let me go now before I buy another guide system. :confused:
See you all in VA. :cool:

Y (universal) CF Dino :confused:

John Miliunas
05-06-2005, 8:17 AM

M., you are free to read into the remarks made here as you like. Personally, I resent the implications you present, but that's more my problem than anyone else's. I don't know what authors or publisher's employees post reviews at Amazon, either. This I know: I am as passionate about my Festool equipment (I currently have 7 pieces of Festool equipment, *including* another one I just received yesterday!:) ), but in the case of saw guide systems, I chose EZ. The reasons are many, but none of which include my working for or getting paid by EZ to do so!:D BTW, I *can* plunge cut with my EZ, as well.:) If you're seriously looking into getting a SGS, I have little doubt that you'd go wrong with either system! As I stated early on, they BOTH have their merits!:cool:

Glenn Clabo
05-06-2005, 8:44 AM
Personally, I resent the implications you present, but that's more my problem than anyone else's.

Not just yours John. For the life of me I don't understand why discussions about these particular tools brings out comments like that. :( Someone is suffering over the choice and we answer honestly from our perspective....then the acquisitions come flying. Amazing...:rolleyes:

Jeff Sudmeier
05-06-2005, 9:03 AM
I agree with you guys. I own one too. The reason that you get the responses that you do is that the people that own either system truely love them! They are able to do things that they never thought possible or safe before getting the system. Sure I guess you could invest in a panel saw, but that is only about 1/4 of the purpose of these systems.

Either one that you buy has nothing but good said about it. I have read very few, if any complaints about either.

One is made for a specific saw, one is not. I already had a high quality good cutting saw, so I went with the one that made so that I can use my existing tools.

Good luck in anyone's choice. I am sure either system would fit the needs of those using it!

Oskar Scylla
05-06-2005, 9:17 AM
I am grateful to everyone who helped me make up my mind. I bought a SmartGuide since I already have a good PC saw also. I hope this didn't make another fight like the one I read about here but if we aren't going to help with our experiences how is someone else going to learn? Now I have spoent all my money and have to use my new tools! Thank you all!

Oskar

John Miliunas
05-06-2005, 9:19 AM
Congrats on your upcoming tool acquisition! Don't forget to post the "gloat" WITH pictures and please, be sure and let us know how you like it! IMHO, I think you'll do good by it! Have fun, work safe!:) :cool:

Dan Racette
05-06-2005, 9:22 AM
I received my ups tracking number today! My ez smart guide just shipped out!

I know I do not work for the company, nor do I work for Amazon. I have been comparatively shopping for this option, festool, and some other options. This worked out the best for my needs. Plus, I have met John and Jeff in person and they both have said good things, which put me over the top, and I know niether one of them work for those places either!!

Not to mention customer service! I am in the middle of posting this and I got an email checking up on my order. :-)

pics to come! and they will probably have sawdust on the system when I take them!

dan

Frank Pellow
05-06-2005, 9:43 AM
I am grateful to everyone who helped me make up my mind. I bought a SmartGuide since I already have a good PC saw also. I hope this didn't make another fight like the one I read about here but if we aren't going to help with our experiences how is someone else going to learn? Now I have spoent all my money and have to use my new tools! Thank you all!

OskarCongratulations Oskar! My guide sytem is the best tool purchase that I ever made and I hope that you find the same thing. I have the "F" GCS+RS (guided circular saw plus router system) but I am sure that I would also have been happy with the "E" system.

Did you get the router guide as well?

Jeff Sudmeier
05-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Congrats to both Oskar and Dan, be sure to post pics of the gloat!

Alan Tolchinsky
05-06-2005, 12:38 PM

Hi All, The economics of the whole thing is making up my mind. The F system is going to cost me around $500 to get 8' cutting capability. The E system is only $190 for the same capability and I already have a saw. Even if I had to buy a saw(around $100) that only brings the E system up to less than $300. Thats a pretty big difference to me. Both systems sound like they get the job done and isn't that what's important? It's nice to have choices.

M. A. Espinoza
05-06-2005, 7:09 PM
Oh good lord.

I wasn't accusing anyone, its just that message about someone complaining about imperfect dust collection sounded a little fishy and put me over the top. Who wouldn't expect that from a trimming cut? Maybe it was a very green newbie.

I'm sure the EZ Guide works, I'm sure the Festool works. I have a cheap guide from Penn State with a PC Mag-base and it works. Shopmade plywood guides work, its not that hard to accomplish.

My apologies for anyone that was offended by the post. Like I said I don't have a dog in this fight I was just wondering if anyone ever thinks twice about some of the product raves. I guess not.

EZ Guide seems like a good setup, but add the saw and you're not too far from the Festool. And you'll end up with a better saw. Like I mentioned I have a mag-base PC and its OK, but nothing to get goose-bumps over. Some seem to really like it. I haven't shopped handheld circulars in about ten years so don't know if others might be better. But the Festool has my attention with variable speed, plunge and better cust collection than my PC.

I'm just really tired of being "sold" something every time I turn around that I tend to be overly suspicious anymore. And that Amazon story was a real deal and since I've taken overly enthusiastic reviews with a grain of salt.

I wish Dino well, as I do any entrepreneur trying to do an honest business. Hope he continues to succeed.

If he comes up with a faster way to use a guide without having to double-measure I'll be one of the first in line. If Festool does it, same story. I have some thoughts but would rather be building furniture than tools.

So again I want to say it wasn't an attack on your personal integrity. If it sounded like that, I'm saying it wasn't intended.

Best regards.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-06-2005, 7:23 PM
If he comes up with a faster way to use a guide without having to double-measure I'll be one of the first in line. If Festool does it, same story. I have some thoughts but would rather be building furniture than tools.

So again I want to say it wasn't an attack on your personal integrity. If it sounded like that, I'm saying it wasn't intended.

Best regards.

M. A. No hard feelings! That's the problem with online forums, you can't "read" a person as well.

From what I have been hearing, it sounds like only having to measure one side of a cut line is coming. It would be one heck of an addition to speed things up!

Ken Salisbury
05-07-2005, 5:26 AM
If he comes up with a faster way to use a guide without having to double-measure I'll be one of the first in line. If Festool does it, same story.

Then I assume you do not subscribe to "Measure Twice, Cut Once" :D :D

M. A. Espinoza
05-07-2005, 9:24 AM
Yup, the more I use a tape; the more mistakes I make.

I'm on track to put digital read outs on my table saw fence and miter saw stops. Something about reading tapes (or graduated scales), I seem to have a bigger problem than most. I avoid their use as much as I can. Story sticks and go/no-go is much better .

It did sound like Dino is setting up for a faster way to use his guide. Wish he would pre-release the info, I would pre-order. But maybe there is patent stuff going on.

If you can solve that so you can just set the guide, clamp (built-in), and cut then you are really competing with other panel handling systems.

As it is I have setup jigs for my panel system for when I make cabinets since the cuts are fairly standardized. Their just oversized spacers that catch the edge of the sheet. Spring clamp those, push the guide against, clamp and cut. Unless a chip gets in there the rips will be 23". I tape a 1/4 shim if I need 23.25". Saves me having to think about that cut at least. Same with the crosscut to make sides since those are pretty much always the same.

The less I think, the better I produce when the tools come on. If I stop moving and scratch my head because I'm thinking its a killer. I only want to be thinking about the cut, my hands, and the next cut.

I also should have added that I wasn't even specifically referring to the posts about the EZ Guide in this thread. I remember reading some other thread on it and I don't even know if it was this group. Some posts just sounded a little more breathless than what I get from a typical woodworker about a saw guide and it got my ears up about the whole thing.

Rich Konopka
05-07-2005, 12:30 PM
I am probably going to get tar and feathered on this but I have to ask this question.

Why does someone have to always bring up the Festool system when someone mentions EZ?

IIRC, the original post was to comment on the merits of EZ and the very next post had to come out and mention the Festool. Nothing against Festool but it seems there are paid agents lurking.;);););););););) Just kidding.

Dino is OCF (Our Carpenter Friend) and deserves the accolades. Talk about stealing someones Thunder :eek:

I don't have an EZ nor do I own Festool. I own a HD straight edge special that cost just $40 bucks.

Greg Mann
05-07-2005, 1:09 PM
I am probably going to get tar and feathered on this but I have to ask this question.

Why does someone have to always bring up the Festool system when someone mentions EZ?

IIRC, the original post was to comment on the merits of EZ and the very next post had to come out and mention the Festool. Nothing against Festool but it seems there are paid agents lurking.;);););););););) Just kidding.

Dino is OCF (Our Carpenter Friend) and deserves the accolades. Talk about stealing someones Thunder :eek:

I don't have an EZ nor do I own Festool. I own a HD straight edge special that cost just $40 bucks.

Rich,

And the third post was from me imploring that we not go there. There is a reciprocal to your observation. When Festool is the subject, EZ is brought up. This is natural because there is so much overlap. Both work well, but start from different origins. We are lucky to have the choice. Do your homework, make a choice, be happy, case closed.:)

Greg

Ed Blough
05-07-2005, 2:17 PM
M. A. No hard feelings! That's the problem with online forums, you can't "read" a person as well.

From what I have been hearing, it sounds like only having to measure one side of a cut line is coming. It would be one heck of an addition to speed things up!

Help!!!!

I have been trying to figure out which guide system was the best for me. However most of the threads on the forum turns from supplying information into one upsmanship contests which leaves people like me trying to figure out what is what, and sorting through the junk.

Please just facts and first hand observations no assumptions or second hand knowledge.

In this thread I have gotten lost and don't understand two comments.

I don't understand the need to double measure???? I thought the whole idea of either guide system EZ guide or Festool was you measured a cut line, where you wanted to cut the sheet, laid the guide on the line and cut. Are you talking about need to mark both ends of your cut line or is there something else that must be measured before cutting?

Also I thought the both were virtually dust free when used with a suitable vac. If I understand what someone is saying is that there are times when both make quite a lot of dust. Is this fact and can you explain the circumstances to me?

Help me also understand the pricing just when I think I have it figured out someone throws in another clamp, a joint, or another piece of puzzle.

Assume I don't have a saw or vac and want something that will allow me the ability to cut 4x8 sheet stock in both 4 foot and 8 foot directions, and rip and cross cut normal lumber. What will be my total cost for both systems saw, vac and with all needed clamps and accessories?
Again for the EZ guide I'm looking for the saw and the vac that work best together and with the EZ guide.

Thanks for all you help

Frank Pellow
05-07-2005, 2:37 PM

I don't understand the need to double measure???? I thought the whole idea of either guide system EZ guide or Festool was you measured a cut line, where you wanted to cut the sheet, laid the guide on the line and cut. Are you talking about need to mark both ends of your cut line or is there something else that must be measured before cutting?

Jeff, like Ed, I am, wondering what you are talking about.

M. A. Espinoza
05-07-2005, 3:47 PM
"I don't understand the need to double measure???? I thought the whole idea of either guide system EZ guide or Festool was you measured a cut line, where you wanted to cut the sheet, laid the guide on the line and cut. Are you talking about need to mark both ends of your cut line or is there something else that must be measured before cutting?"

Unless I am missing something with both the EZ and Festool and just about any saw guide you need to measure both ends of the cut to accurately make a parallel cut. Or a true 90 degree cut. There is no T-fence or parallelogram feature built in to eliminate the need for this as of yet.

I made a jig for crosscuts that has the T built in and it speeds things up quite a bit. But long rips are another matter. Still measure both ends or use the spacer blocks.

Also regarding why EZ and Festool get caught up in an either/or is it seems like they are directly comparabe systems. They both do the same thing and even look a lot alike.

But yeah, I guess it could be like asking about Porter Cable routers and someone always bringing up DeWalt. Not exactly the heart of the question.

Anyhow a handheld saw guide that can come that much closer to the speed of a vertical panel saw will likely be the big winner. Speed is more important than dust when trying to protect your margins.

It seems like they're about 90% there, eliminating the handheld tape measure and pencil mark is about all thats left.

I have some ideas but will wait to see what Dino comes up with before I start burning time trying to reinvent the wheel.

John Miliunas
05-07-2005, 5:32 PM
Help!!!!

I have been trying to figure out which guide system was the best for me. However most of the threads on the forum turns from supplying information into one upsmanship contests which leaves people like me trying to figure out what is what, and sorting through the junk.

Please just facts and first hand observations no assumptions or second hand knowledge.

In this thread I have gotten lost and don't understand two comments.

Also I thought the both were virtually dust free when used with a suitable vac. If I understand what someone is saying is that there are times when both make quite a lot of dust. Is this fact and can you explain the circumstances to me?

Help me also understand the pricing just when I think I have it figured out someone throws in another clamp, a joint, or another piece of puzzle.

Assume I don't have a saw or vac and want something that will allow me the ability to cut 4x8 sheet stock in both 4 foot and 8 foot directions, and rip and cross cut normal lumber. What will be my total cost for both systems saw, vac and with all needed clamps and accessories?
Again for the EZ guide I'm looking for the saw and the vac that work best together and with the EZ guide.

Thanks for all you help

Ed, I'm not *positive* about this, but I think the "double-measure" is marking your cut line at both ends. (That's the way I'm reading this...???). If something is in the works on the order of a "T" square, it would be easier/faster, but just like M.A. said, for long rips, I would still mark at both ends, regardless! And I'd measure each of those twice, to boot!:D

On the second point, both systems are NOT dust free. The EZ will inherently not capture sawdust, simply due to the limitation of whichever CS you have. If the saw has some DC ability, then you'll get that much of it. I envision that, as sawdust and its airborne particulates become more of a health issue, OEM's may start to pay closer attention to this aspect. I know that many of "our" well-know OEM's (Makita, Dewalt, Bosch, etc...) already market numerous models with improved DC ability, though it's only in the Euro market! (Go figure...) Of the two systems, the Festool has the upper hand in dust collection. That is not by virtue of the guide itself, but of the proprietary saw you purchase with the saw guide system. Part of the engineering and design element of the Festool is indeed to incorporate this dust collection. What someone mentioned is the fact that if trimming away less from a sheet or whatnot, than can be trapped between the good side and the drop side, will cause about as much dust as will any "normal" CS. For such cuts, the sawdust will not be "channeled" toward the DC port, but rather, just spew off to the waste side of the cut as it would on any other saw.

For EZ and "current" production saws and vacs to work as a system? Well, not much choice Stateside (yet) on the saw. For the vac, I use a small Fein, which I got a great deal on. It does not have the auto-start for the vac when a tool is powered up, but a quick trip to Sears and $20.00 solves that part of the problem. The only two CS's Stateside, which I'm aware of with some type of dust collection port are one of the Porter Cables and a Ryobi. I have the Ryobi, which I was experimenting with. Do-able, but needs much more work. Can't speak of the PC. :)

Hope this helps get you through some of the "muck"! :D :cool:

Dino Makropoulos
05-07-2005, 6:32 PM
Anyhow a handheld saw guide that can come that much closer to the speed of a vertical panel saw will likely be the big winner. Speed is more important than dust when trying to protect your margins.

It seems like they're about 90% there, eliminating the handheld tape measure and pencil mark is about all thats left.

I have some ideas but will wait to see what Dino comes up with before I start burning time trying to reinvent the wheel.

Hi M.
The problems with the guide rail systems was:
A. Connection system. Extendibility--Portability--Capacity--Accuracy.
B. Anti chip protection. Quality of cut-- (without expensive saw blades) and
in both sides of the cut. (up and down, left and
right)
C. Universality. Ability to use your existing tools, the $69.00 Ryobi,
the new Hilti CS.$300.00 or a F. plunge saw,
worm drive or the new Metal cutting cs saws etc
http://www.eurekazone.org/photos/dinoproducts_1659.JPG
http://www.eurekazone.org/photos/dinoproducts_1651.JPG
D. All directional cutting. To utilize both sides of the rail to speed up things
and to be at the right side ot the cut.(ergonomics?)
E. Clamping system. The ability to secure any size wood down to
zero without the need for a table saw. or even the
need for a cutting table and saw horses.
F. Material support system. A fold away - portable and extendable
multi purpose assemble and cutting table that
works with your clamps and you don't have to cut in the floor.

Multi tool use not only with the same guide rail, but with the same Assecorie. The SRK supports the use of routers-jointers-belt sanders and reciprocating saws.
And here is Another EZ-Smart First in woodworking History.http://www.eurekazone.org/photos/dinoproducts_1648.JPG
http://www.eurekazone.org/photos/dinoproducts_1647.JPG

If you own the SRK you already have a portable precEZion jointer.
And about measuring once or twice...Why not ...no measuring at all?

I think is time to make woodworking better and stop the typical E vs F.
Thank you all for your support and for making woodworking better.
Without your help the EZ-Smart and the Dead Wood Concept is... Dead.
See you in VA.
Yourcarpenterfriend.
Dino

Rob Blaustein
05-07-2005, 8:21 PM
How's this for diplomacy: there's no reason you can't combine Festool and EZ-Smart, something Dino has said a few times before. The two are not mutually exclusive. If you like the characteristics of the Festool plunge saw, with its great operation and dust collection, but don't want to go with the Festool Multifunction table and guide rail/clamp system, there's no reason why you can't use it with the EZ-Smart rails. Yes, one nice feature of the Festool system is that it is a system with well thought integration, but one need not be tied to it.

Edit: oops, I should have read Dino's comments more carefully and looked at his pictures, since he has already re-iterated this point above.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-07-2005, 8:45 PM
Everyone, the statment about measuring both sides of the cut line was mis-spoken, I should have said a great addition would be to only have to measure one END :)

When you use the guide, today, you have to measure both ENDS of the cut, at the start and the finish, and then line up the guide. I know there has been discussion in the past about this and it was thought that a t square type edge would be great for reducing this "double measuring", at both ENDS of the cut :) Not both SIDES of the cut line.

Sorry for the confusion and on to our regular programming :)

Per Swenson
05-07-2005, 9:22 PM
Ok folks just call me stupid.
Or maybe I really am missing something here.
But I have this multi function tool
you set it once to your size and pretty much all of your
measuring and remembering is over.
Really freinds I am not trying to be coy here.
Even if you don't have either system,
you can slide this baby down the side of a board
with a pencil at the ruler part and get a perfectly
straight line. Cut leaving the line with any circular saw,
and finish it with a ...take your pick.
You all know I am a festool freak, that is just me.
But I do this for food. And I work with what works for me.
Sometimes I think we forget that it is the end product,
that gathers us here in the first place.
Oh yeah , here is a picture of the multifunction tool.....
Per

M. A. Espinoza
05-08-2005, 1:19 AM
I'm not trying to get into a big thing here but taking the time to mark your line is what I'm talking about. Doing that for every cut in a cabinet job adds a significant amount of time.

A lot of this is my personal issue I'm trying to tackle. If I had the room in my funky shop for the infeed/outfeed-material handling of a cabinet saw with a 52" fence I wouldn't even be thinking about this. I just can't cut down full sheets with my table saw or I would.

I do this for a living as a furnituremaker and formerly as a cabinetmaker so I'm comparing my times sizing sheet goods with a guide vs. a cabinet saw. I don't expect to ever match it but want to get as close as possible. If it could be comparable to using your rip fence on a cab saw then you would really be cooking.

I use a saw guide because in my situation I have to so I have to deal with it. Now I've heard with the Festool that you don't have to clamp it, that the downpressure holds it. If thats true thats a big deal to me. Any time saved per cut is a big deal when you consider the multiples of cuts in a typical kitchen job.

As far Dino's comment of not having to measure at all I'm not sure if his system has some sort of built in scale or if he was being sarcastic. But yeah, I measure as little as I can get away with. Story sticks and go-no-go when I can. Any time I measure its an opportunity to make a mistake so that gets doubled if I'm measuring both ends of a cut.

Just like anyone else I want my tools to help me be efficient and I've been doing it long enough to know what to try to avoid to keep my workflow happening.

Thought I would add that probably the most used measuring tool in my shop is a 4" double square and most of the time I'm not even looking at the graduations. Just to transfer depth or offsets when doing joinery.

I'm not trying to claim I'm Yoda or anything and use the Force to set my cuts but I do try to think about numbers as little as possible in the shop. Probably why I like chairs so much, it just has to feel right.

Dino Makropoulos
05-08-2005, 9:37 AM

""As far Dino's comment of not having to measure at all I'm not sure if his system has some sort of built in scale or if he was being sarcastic. But yeah, I measure as little as I can get away with. Story sticks and go-no-go when I can. Any time I measure its an opportunity to make a mistake so that gets doubled if I'm measuring both ends of a cut."""

M.
I have the same feelings about measuring. Our very first patent application was for an integrated measuring system.
But then we thought that we need an integrated clamping system and miter capabilities on the same gadget. And even repeatability on the cut-off side of the blade to make edge banding with the same gadget without measuring.

The only delay in production is to make sure that we include all features in only one unit that is modular and the costumer can buy only what he needs but he can add on this unit other features later.
Similar to SRK and Similar to Clamps and the smart clamping system.

Take a look at this link.http://www.eurekazone.org/photos/dinoproducts_1659.JPG
What you have here is the SRK that becomes the EZ Smart Planer.
Same tool. and the cost? From zero to $15.00

Back to your question.
Can the EZ Smart outperform in speed the sliding table saw and the panel saw in cutting panels?

The answer is YES and not only.
Take another look at the above link. you can save some time and wood with this Jig. never mind the quality and safety. This is just a bonus of the Dead Wood Concept.
Thanks.
YCF Dino

Kelly C. Hanna
05-08-2005, 10:49 AM
You wouldn't happen to have the older one with the 108" rail would you M.A.? They stopped selling that one just as I was going to buy it.

Dino Makropoulos
05-08-2005, 11:43 AM
You wouldn't happen to have the older one with the 108" rail would you M.A.? They stopped selling that one just as I was going to buy it.

The new one is better. I have one and you can have it after the swap meet.
YCF Dino

M. A. Espinoza
05-08-2005, 11:48 AM
No, what I have is the Penn State thing. Carriage with roller guides. Not too elegant but it works. I don't think they show it on the website but you add a piece of 1/4" ply and it acts as the cut marker/zero-throat.

With a good blade and properly adjusted saw you get very little fuzzing of the cut.

Dino-

"Can the EZ Smart outperform in speed the sliding table saw and the panel saw in cutting panels?

The answer is YES and not only ."

OK, Dino, you have a very good product and folks have reported good things from your company. But claiming your saw guide is faster than sliding panel saws is really pushing it. You should be proud of your product and company and seem to be.

By making that kind of claim the marketing hype starts to go over the top. The whole "sky is green" selling that isn't helpful. I'm sure your system can produce comparable quality cuts to other methods but just from a material handling and cutline marking I don't see how you can make that claim.

Yes you could jig up to do a repeat cut, "Deadwood". I checked your site again and still don't see how your saw guide would be faster than a slider or even a standard cabinet saw.

I have professional experience with sliders and standard cabinet saws. I now use a saw guide in my shop, though not yours. If I had known of yours I probably would be using yours, but I already own one. I just don't see how yours is different enough of a saw guide to support the claim that its faster than a sliding panel saw.

I only take this up because it seems there are newbies that would accept that claim as fact without knowing that its a tall claim. It may be true I just don't see it yet. I think you can match the quality with your guide, but speed is another thing.

If it is true you'll have my money. I don't have any personal problem with you.

Alan Tolchinsky
05-08-2005, 12:02 PM
""As far Dino's comment of not having to measure at all I'm not sure if his system has some sort of built in scale or if he was being sarcastic. But yeah, I measure as little as I can get away with. Story sticks and go-no-go when I can. Any time I measure its an opportunity to make a mistake so that gets doubled if I'm measuring both ends of a cut."""

M.
I have the same feelings about measuring. Our very first patent application was for an integrated measuring system.
But then we thought that we need an integrated clamping system and miter capabilities on the same gadget. And even repeatability on the cut-off side of the blade to make edge banding with the same gadget without measuring.

The only delay in production is to make sure that we include all features in only one unit that is modular and the costumer can buy only what he needs but he can add on this unit other features later.
Similar to SRK and Similar to Clamps and the smart clamping system.

Take a look at this link.http://www.eurekazone.org/photos/dinoproducts_1659.JPG
What you have here is the SRK that becomes the EZ Smart Planer.
Same tool. and the cost? From zero to $15.00

Back to your question.
Can the EZ Smart outperform in speed the sliding table saw and the panel saw in cutting panels?

The answer is YES and not only.
Take another look at the above link. you can save some time and wood with this Jig. never mind the quality and safety. This is just a bonus of the Dead Wood Concept.
Thanks.
YCF Dino

Hi Dino, What is the blue and silver thing in the pic? A new circular saw. It looks like it's a pluge type but I'm only guessing. Are you offering a circular saw that goes with your EZ system? Alan

Dino Makropoulos
05-08-2005, 12:09 PM
M.
Think about for a second.
If you don't have to measure and you don't have to push the panel on the table saw or even on the sliding table saw....What you have now?
A CNC. But is only manual.

The space that you need is the size of the panel (and not dedicated space)
The efford is lot less. And you don't have to handle the panel 10 times.
Take a look here.
http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gallery/router1/big/ezrouter_1432.jpg
And here
http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gallery/plexiglassshop/big/extrasupport4.jpg
You only handle the panel once.And you can do multiple pieces at once.
Even without the Guide Control Unit the Ez Smart is faster than a cabinet saw. The Dead wood concept works very good on panels.
And soon it will work very good on solid stock too.
M. Have your credit card ready and don't worry about your money.
They will go to a good cause.
Thanks.
YCF Dino

Kelly C. Hanna
05-08-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks Dino! I'll pay for shipping it to me (I'll pm my address to you). That's very nice of you and I appreciate it greatly!

Dino Makropoulos
05-08-2005, 12:28 PM
Hi Dino, What is the blue and silver thing in the pic? A new circular saw. It looks like it's a pluge type but I'm only guessing. Are you offering a circular saw that goes with your EZ system? Alan
Hi Alan.
The Blue CS is a metal cutting saw. With features that a regular CS needs.
The handle is tiltable (like the Milwakee) and you have better reach than any other regular CS.
Our own saw is at (working ptototype stage) but far away for production prototype. I can tell you that is not a plunge saw or worm drive or a regular Sidewinder.
So, don't count on our own tools. Any CS works fine with the EZ.
Some better than others but they all get an instant uplift on the Ez.
Thanks Alan.
YCF Dino

Alan Tolchinsky
05-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Hi Alan.
The Blue CS is a metal cutting saw. With features that a regular CS needs.
The handle is tiltable (like the Milwakee) and you have better reach than any other regular CS.
Our own saw is at (working ptototype stage) but far away for production prototype. I can tell you that is not a plunge saw or worm drive or a regular Sidewinder.
So, don't count on our own tools. Any CS works fine with the EZ.
Some better than others but they all get an instant uplift on the Ez.
Thanks Alan.
YCF Dino

Thanks Dino, I'm in the marked for a CS and wondered what you'd recommend as best to use with the EZ. I know you need a right blade. I did look at the Milwaulkee with tilting handle, Porter Cable, and Hitachi. Is the tilting handle that good? I want to get whatever works best with the EZ and is not super heavy. Thanks Alan

Dino Makropoulos
05-08-2005, 1:15 PM
Thanks Dino, I'm in the marked for a CS and wondered what you'd recommend as best to use with the EZ. I know you need a right blade. I did look at the Milwaulkee with tilting handle, Porter Cable, and Hitachi. Is the tilting handle that good? I want to get whatever works best with the EZ and is not super heavy. Thanks Alan

Alan.
When you cross cut 48" you need all the help that you can get from the saw. The tilt lock from Milwaukee is good to have for that reason.
But the PC Mag 325 is no bad on the reach.
Then you have the dust problem to deal with. The Mag 325 with a dust shield is the better choice.
If you don't want to use a vacuum . Build a shield to keep the dust down and not in your face. Then I go for the tilt lock.
But in both cases I will invest on the electric brake. Is good to have.
The 325 comes with the electric brake. The Tilt lock you have to specified
or ask for the model.
But you can extend your choices to the ATF and Hilti any time you want.
With the ATF you will lose some benefits (depth of cut and the unique tilting) but you gain all the other EZ stuff and have the best dust collection.
I will say the Mag 325 is the one that works better on and off the Ez without counting out any of the others. This is why I'm going to VA with 5-6 circular saws 4 guide rail systems and 2 routers. My choice in routers is the new Festool and the Dewalt.
But if you like to get the Ryobi tools, is fine with the Ez.

Dino Makropoulos
05-08-2005, 1:43 PM
Thanks Dino! I'll pay for shipping it to me (I'll pm my address to you). That's very nice of you and I appreciate it greatly!

So, Kelly.
If i can't sell you an Ez Smart, I send you the PSI and make few bucks on shipping. :D :D
Any time my friend. We test other guide systems every other month.
Then we give them out. Any guide system is safer than a table saw and this is what counts .Today is PSI tomorrow comes the F-EZ. :D
Thanks Kelly.
YCF Dino

M. A. Espinoza
05-08-2005, 4:51 PM
M.
Think about for a second.
If you don't have to measure and you don't have to push the panel on the table saw or even on the sliding table saw....What you have now?
A CNC. But is only manual.

The space that you need is the size of the panel (and not dedicated space)
The efford is lot less. And you don't have to handle the panel 10 times.
Take a look here.
http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gallery/router1/big/ezrouter_1432.jpg
And here
http://www.eurekazone.com/images/gallery/plexiglassshop/big/extrasupport4.jpg
You only handle the panel once.And you can do multiple pieces at once.
Even without the Guide Control Unit the Ez Smart is faster than a cabinet saw. The Dead wood concept works very good on panels.
And soon it will work very good on solid stock too.
M. Have your credit card ready and don't worry about your money.
They will go to a good cause.
Thanks.
YCF Dino

Dino,

You have me thinking in a new direction. And I am glad to hear you are working on a new CS design. I will wait to see your design and will gladly buy a CS specifically designed for this application. You seem to have a good sense of what features enhance the use with a guide.

I was considering the metal cutting saw or trying to find a Hilti but I'm interested in your ideas. Do you have a time frame for your tool?

Like I said I have a system that works for me right now. I'm trying to get away from cabinets so I'm going to wait and see how much of an issue this continues to be in my production over the next few months.

By the way, hats off to your offer to send the PSI for shipping. Any guide is safer and after using the PSI you'll likely still have him as a customer. Its what I use and I'm still considering your Smartguide.

Best regards,

Alan Tolchinsky
05-09-2005, 12:00 AM
Alan.
When you cross cut 48" you need all the help that you can get from the saw. The tilt lock from Milwaukee is good to have for that reason.
But the PC Mag 325 is no bad on the reach.
Then you have the dust problem to deal with. The Mag 325 with a dust shield is the better choice.
If you don't want to use a vacuum . Build a shield to keep the dust down and not in your face. Then I go for the tilt lock.
But in both cases I will invest on the electric brake. Is good to have.
The 325 comes with the electric brake. The Tilt lock you have to specified
or ask for the model.
But you can extend your choices to the ATF and Hilti any time you want.
With the ATF you will lose some benefits (depth of cut and the unique tilting) but you gain all the other EZ stuff and have the best dust collection.
I will say the Mag 325 is the one that works better on and off the Ez without counting out any of the others. This is why I'm going to VA with 5-6 circular saws 4 guide rail systems and 2 routers. My choice in routers is the new Festool and the Dewalt.
But if you like to get the Ryobi tools, is fine with the Ez.

Dino, Thank you for all the great ideas. I greatly appreciate it.