PDA

View Full Version : Overtightened Scissors

John Towns
02-03-2013, 6:08 PM
Went to an indoor flea market yesterday and picked up some files, a couple of Jananese chisels and a pair of Griffon scissors. I wanted the practice sharpening the scissors. They sharpened up well enought so I tried to tighten the scissors using the screw. Could not budge it, apparently someone previous to me had hammered (peened) them and the screw slot is closed a bit, so I did the same. Only problem, I hit one time too many, now they are way too tight. I can use them but it is very difficult.

I have oiled well with not positive result. I suppose I could reill out the screw, but I would not know where to get a replacement.

Is there anything I can do to loosen them up a bit, or have I wasted my investment in the scissors (25 cents!!).

John

Jim Ritter
02-03-2013, 6:58 PM
I guess I would try and hit it again but this time don't back up the screw head, place it over a hole so it is unsupported, and use punch to hit the screw end. The punch should be flat on the end and as small or smaller than you think the root diameter of the screw might be. What you want to do is stretch the screw not compress it any more. That's all I've got. Let us know if anything works.
Jim

Roger Newby
02-03-2013, 7:02 PM
Live with it. Write it off as an expensive (?) lesson learned.

george wilson
02-03-2013, 7:29 PM
That should do it,Jim.

John Towns
02-03-2013, 8:08 PM
I guess I would try and hit it again but this time don't back up the screw head, place it over a hole so it is unsupported, and use punch to hit the screw end. The punch should be flat on the end and as small or smaller than you think the root diameter of the screw might be. What you want to do is stretch the screw not compress it any more. That's all I've got. Let us know if anything works.
Jim

That is a great idea. I will give it a try. Thanks!

John Towns
02-04-2013, 8:12 AM
Tried it but it only got tighter, so I must have been using been using bad form. I will try again tonight.

David Weaver
02-04-2013, 8:48 AM
Griffon!! Griffon made a lot of razors in the late 1800s, unless they cheapened their name at some point later in the company's life, they should be good scissors.