PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some information

Ron Barnes
02-03-2013, 4:35 PM
I will be purchasing a larger lathe in the near future. I am only learning to turn but know that I will end up getting a new lathe larger than my Delta 46-460. I have thought that I would get the Powermatic 3520 all along. I recently looked at the Grizzly GO694. What are your thoughts on this lathe? I don't want to start wars, just trying to get some unbiased information.

Thanks, Ron

Richard Coers
02-03-2013, 10:13 PM
No comparison, get the Powermatic. It's a workhorse!

Mike Cruz
02-03-2013, 11:34 PM
The Grizzly cannot compete with the PM on quality, stability, and smoothness. The PM can't compete with the Grizzly on price. IF you can afford the PM, get it.

Roger Chandler
02-04-2013, 6:45 AM
While I have the Grizzly 18/47 G0698, and it has been a great performer for me........I have seen the lathe you mentioned with another label on it [Laguna] and it was nice as well.........If you have the funds, the Powermatic is one of the workhorse lathes out there, and it has a 5 year warranty.

The G0694 would no doubt serve you well, but the PM is a more refined machine, and PM really works hard to take care of their customers.......as does Grizzly........

Price point and your budget ........those are the issues.......I think you will be happiest with the PM if you can afford it, but would find the Grizzly a good performer as well. Like driving a Cadillac Vs. a Buick.........both get you to your destination.....one a little more comfortably!

Mike Cruz
02-04-2013, 1:46 PM
Along with what I said in my earlier post... What Roger said is spot on!

Steve Busey
02-04-2013, 2:22 PM
Edited: Private message sent with some info about a 3520 possibly for sale around the Atlanta area.

Ron Barnes
02-04-2013, 6:58 PM
Thanks everyone. I appreciate the help and information.