PDA

View Full Version : Splitters: Biesemeyer vs. Merlin

Charles McKinley
05-07-2003, 4:36 PM
Hi All,

The safety thread has me convinced to get a splitter and over head gaurd. I would like to hear the pros and cons of these splitters. The price difference is minimal.

It will be going on a PM66.

Thanks in advance!

Jim Becker
05-07-2003, 5:54 PM
They are both good products from what I've seen. (Own the Biesemeyer and have seen the Merlin at a show) They are both easy to use and do what they are supposed to do.

In some respects, I like the Biesemeyer better in that it does not interfere with the back of the saw like the Merlin does. That's a consideration for any outfeed solution you may already have or are contemplating. It's also a nice heavy product--but is for standard 1/8" kerf blades only. I did find that I had to remove the anti-kickback pawls as they were causing damage to the veneer on sheet goods no matter how I adjusted them or rounded the edges. I can reinstall them quickly if I am going to rip a lot of rough lumber as I sometimes do in batches.

The Merlin is an interesting concept as it "flips back" when you are not going to use it. That's a possible negative with regard to the outfeed situation mentioned above, but a plus for ease of use. It also accommodates thin-kerf blades, I believe.

I have a review of the Biesemeyer on my site along with a review of the Excalibur overarm guard that was also discussed in some other threads.