PDA

View Full Version : Home corner post installation question

michael skehan
02-03-2013, 8:54 AM
I'm not sure if this qualifies as a wood working post, if not, I apologize for posting. I own a Cape Cod style home that I would like to add some architectural details too, specifically, corner posts. Here is picture of what I would like to end up with (grey one):

http://www.progressivefoam.com/cape-cod-home-style

Right now I have that house with shingles up to the corners so I'm guessing that I need to do is cut off the areas where the corner posts go, make sure underneath has house wrap (probably going use rubber flashing under posts) nail on wood pieces, and caulk.

I'm just double checking that I'm not missing anything? Open to any and all comments or advice.

Thanks

Brian Libby
02-03-2013, 12:28 PM
If I understand your post right, yes put on corner boards and butt shingles up to it and then caulk.Best to leave a little space for the caulking and expansion.

michael skehan
02-03-2013, 1:13 PM
If I understand your post right, yes put on corner boards and butt shingles up to it and then caulk.Best to leave a little space for the caulking and expansion.

Thanks, assumed it was straight forward but also good to double check.

Jay Jolliffe
02-03-2013, 1:44 PM
The way I did it was to back prime the boards that your using for the corner boards. Remove the shingles to the next whole shingle. Use what ever your planing as house wrap on the corner making sure it's getting under the existing shingles. I put the corners together first then nail to the house with stainless nails. You can calk against the corner board before you shingle but not really necessary. You want the water to get out if any gets in. The shingles are going to shrink no matter how dry you think they are. If they are really dry & have been stored inside you may want to leave a 1/16th space between them. If you paint them you'll always be painting them.

Lee Schierer
02-03-2013, 6:23 PM

They just did this on This Old House. You need to insure that your house wrap is around the corner. Then you put up the corner posts, typically they use PVC boards for this. Then you lay a heavy bead of caulk along the post edge just before you put the shingle in place. You want to prevent eh water from getting behind the corner post and each shingle.