PDA

View Full Version : Magnetic light and inverter

Denny Rice
02-03-2013, 1:13 AM
Alright guys for about a year I have owned a Jet 1642EVS and love the lathe. I recently purchased at Rockler a magnetic snake light to give me more light at the lathe while turning bowls and other things. After the purchase a friend of mine told me to get the magnetic base off the headstock of the lathe (since the inverter is mounted to the headstock) he said the magnet on the light will interfere with the inverter and cause me problems. I have not had any problems up to this point, but I don't want the inverter to fry either. Has anyone ever heard of this problem? Does anyone own a 1642 with a light mounted on the headstock? :)

Josh Bowman
02-03-2013, 7:51 AM
I've never had a problem with my Harbor Freight magnetic large parts tray.

Reed Gray
02-03-2013, 11:39 AM
I never had any problems with my old 3520A and had the Moffat lamp on the headstock right near the inverter.

robo hippy

Steve Schlumpf
02-03-2013, 12:22 PM
I'm at a loss for words... Denny, use your magnetic based lamp! Everything in the electronics control portion of your lathe is well protected!

Greg Ketell
02-03-2013, 12:44 PM
I've never had issues on my 3520b. But, If you want to reassure yourself... Take a small nail (making sure it isn't magnetized) and see if it sticks to the headstock next to your inverter. If not, no magnetism from your lamp is getting there.

Denny Rice
02-03-2013, 5:16 PM
Thanks guys. It will stay where it's at then

Peter Blair
02-03-2013, 6:25 PM
This thread is giving me pause to reconsider the use of rare earth magnets on the spindle end of my oneway. I have several that hold tools for acessability. Now I am thinking I should rethink their use?

Jeffrey J Smith
02-03-2013, 9:58 PM
When I had my Jet 1642, I had a magnetic light on the headstock along with magnetic tool holder bar, and several smaller rare earth magnets - it was festooned with stuff. Never had a problem in over four years. When I sold it I kept the Moffet light for my new lathe, but the guy I sold the Jet to kept all the goodie holders in place. Haven't heard that its gone up in smoke.

Peter, I don't think your OneWay has its inverter anywhere near the headstock does it? I thought it was down under the ways like the Robust.

Peter Blair
02-03-2013, 11:25 PM
Hey Jeff. Yes the inverter is underneath. Does this mean that magnets on the headstock are too far away from it to be a problem?

Denny Rice
02-04-2013, 1:29 AM
I'm at a loss for words... Denny, use your magnetic based lamp! Everything in the electronics control portion of your lathe is well protected!

Thanks Steve.

Jeffrey J Smith
02-04-2013, 4:49 PM
Hey Jeff. Yes the inverter is underneath. Does this mean that magnets on the headstock are too far away from it to be a problem?

I'd think so. The Jet's inverter hangs off the back of the headstock and is roughly flush with the top - right next to the best place to secure a light (if you don't count the bracket for the cage that everyone throws away when unpacking). Your inverter is far enough away that it shouldn't be a problem. Someone pointed out that the inverter is pretty well shielded in its housing.
I'd guess that if it were a problem, with the number of people happily turning away on Jet 1642's, we would have heard at least one horror story by now. With my luck, and the number of magnets I kept up there for the whole time I had the lathe, it would have been mine that went south.
That said, I'm not an elecrtical engineer, in fact, if I were smarter, fooling with electricity should scare the hell out of me.
Happy turning

Kyle Iwamoto
02-04-2013, 5:28 PM
I have heard this RUMOR(?) before, and after hearing it, I did take my magnetic light tray off my headstock (1642-2). No one has had problems? I wonder where or how this rumor got started..... Cautious people want to know. The headstock is a great place to put a light. Did not want to risk problems.

Thom Sturgill
02-04-2013, 6:42 PM
I would think that if magnetism were a problem, the proximity of the motor to the inverter would be a *real* problem. Obviously, it is not.