PDA

View Full Version : Harvey Fien's Incising Technique and Kit

Glen Blanchard
02-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Tonight I happened upon Harvey Fein's technique for using a trim router to embellish a turning. I am very interested. Has anyone used Harvey's system? Are there comparable systems available?

Curt Fuller
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Peter Blair has been doing some beautiful work with that technique.

Michelle Rich
02-03-2013, 6:17 AM
no, there are no other systems, I don't believe. I think Peter made a homemade version..pm him, I'm sure he'll talk with you about how he does his. The router, in this concept is hand held, and you have quite a few restrictions, but for simple things, it would work well.

Bill Bulloch
02-03-2013, 7:58 AM
I have been playing with some of Harvey's designs. I had already made some tables for the lathe and a sled for my trim router copying the design from Ed Caton's DVD, "Simplified Fluting". The problem with using the router for this was depth control. Harvey solved this problem with his, "Follower". I didn't order his kit because I wasn't sure how far I wanted to go with this type work. I did, however, order his "half inch follower" and modified my trim router sled to accommodate it. It works great. And now that I have played with it for awhile, I plan on getting Harveys Jig Kit -- especially now that he has modified his table so that it is adjustable.

Eric Holmquist
02-03-2013, 8:44 AM
I've checked out Harvey's booth at Totally Turning for a couple years, and have been tempted to get his kit. Depending on what you already have on hand, you can get started quite cheaply with his products.