PDA

View Full Version : Motors stopped working on Shenhui Laser

Jim Bowen
02-02-2013, 10:08 PM
Hey everyone,
been a long time lurker here and read alot of this forum before I took the dive and ordered a G350 60W Shenhui Laser.
Your posts have been very informative and helped me alot in this new world of lasers.

But now I have hit a bit of a roadblock:
This morning I had loaded up an image and started engraving it on a piece of wood and found that the settings were leaving the image a bit too dark, so I clicked stop before the process had finished. And now I have lost access to the motors completely...

I reset the machine, expecting the motors to go back their reset position, but they didn't move...
In laserworks I tried controlling the laser position and found that it thinks it is moving it around but nothing is happening mechanically.
I presume this is a motor driver problem?

If so, has anyone come across this and could anyone shed some light on how to go about this? Any things I should try? I only bought this laser in the last couple of months so it should be covered by warranty?

I don't quite know what to do. Please help :)

Rodne Gold
02-03-2013, 1:53 AM
There are 2 stepper motor drivers , its highly unlikely that BOTH died , did you click a software "stop" or did you use the big red button on the machine , if you used the red stop button , it's likely that it is faulty. I assume you "unswitched" the emergency stop button?
Try Yarde_feng on skype for tech problems.
Try get an answer quickly from china , it is their new year in a day or 2 and a lot of companys will be closed and their staff gone for up to 2 weeks.

matthew knott
02-03-2013, 6:44 PM
first thing to check is are the motors powered, they should both be stiff when the stepper drivers are enabled, you will struggle to move the axis when they are powered. Also most of these Chinese lasers (that i have seen) use 2 independent stepper drivers, so odds of both going are slim, check the 24vdc power going to the stepper drivers! if the motors are powered but still not moving then its likely to be the control board not giving a step signal, theres really not much to go wrong on these, stepper motors are very reliable and the drivers are pretty good, weakest point is probably the power supply so start there.

Jim Bowen
02-04-2013, 3:21 AM
Thanks for your replies.

I got it fixed! I'll go through what happened to add back to the pool of info that is already here at sawmillcreek.

There are 2 stepper motor drivers , its highly unlikely that BOTH died , did you click a software "stop" or did you use the big red button on the machine
I had clicked on 'Stop' in the Laserworks software and since then it wouldn't move the motors even after a reset.

first thing to check is are the motors powered, they should both be stiff when the stepper drivers are enabled
I checked and could indeed move the motors by hand

I got onto Yarde_feng and he was helpful. Having had this machine for only a couple weeks, I didn't quite know what I was looking at/for beforehand.
I ended up checking the power supply output (the metal box with 'ventilation' holes at the bottom of the machine) to see if 24v was coming out of it and it was. Though there was no green lights on either motor driver (2 small black boxes with a red and green LED)... Checked them with a multimeter just to make sure, and no power. So something was up with the cable in between them. And sure enough it was the 2 cables coming from the power supply output end which had to be reseated better. Then all of a sudden the green lights came on and the machine sprang back into life.

Weird to think that the cables got knocked out abit after having clicked Stop, but there you have it.

Thanks again for your help guys

Rodne Gold
02-04-2013, 4:23 AM
Glad you found the solution..Yarde is a good support guy.