PDA

View Full Version : Critiques

Dale Miner
02-02-2013, 5:13 PM
Following up on Roger's thread,

Here is a piece that was recently finished.

Critiques encouraged. Atta boy's accepted. Honesty appreciated.

Michael Gibson
02-02-2013, 5:38 PM
Dale, l am impressed with this piece especially the body In my opinion l think the balls that hold the handle are just a little too big and l would like to see the handle a little higher. Michael

Dale Miner
02-02-2013, 6:09 PM
Dale, l am impressed with this piece especially the body In my opinion l think the balls that hold the handle are just a little too big and l would like to see the handle a little higher. Michael

Thank you Michael.

Brian Kent
02-02-2013, 6:57 PM
With that unique design, all I ha e is an "atta boy!"

Did you turn, then cut apart and re-assemble?

Michael Stafford
02-02-2013, 7:24 PM
Dale, I like this pot a lot but the handle bail does not appear to have enough clearance over the lid. The other thing that bothers me, and this is a personal thing, is that the tea pot appears unbalanced because there is not a handle opposite the spout. I always look for the symmetry of things and without a handle there is no symmetry.

It is beautiful and I love the way you put it together.

Timothy Mann
02-02-2013, 7:32 PM
I dont have the experience to critque this. All I can say is well done that is beautiful.

Jerry Marcantel
02-02-2013, 8:04 PM
Dale, you get an Attaboy from me. You did a quality job, but as others have said, the balls look strange. You've got plenty of clearance under the handle, but those balls........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Michelle Rich
02-03-2013, 7:12 AM
I cannot critque it as I have never made a tea pot, and I have little idea on what it takes to make one. What I can tell you is: Interesting construction..very cool neck/lid..very cleanly finished, lovely wood, and that I find it pleasing.

Dale Miner
02-03-2013, 12:55 PM
Thanks to all for the comments and critiques. You folk are a lot easier on me than I am on myself. There are a several things that I would do differently on the if and when next teapot. A swinging handle is a bear. There are five separate pieces to the handle and mounting, and each has to have a pretty good degree of precision. The handle on the teapot is the fourth one made for the pot. Without my better halfs encouragement, the pot would have never been finished as a result of the frustration from the handle.

Mike S, Thanks for the comment. I had never considered the visual symetry regarding the handle oposing the spout. Food for thought.

Regarding critiques in general; When a person asks for a critique, and then is given one, the person giving the critique has taken the time to evaluate the piece comparing it against some criteria that they hold. They then take the time to put their evaluation and opinion into print. The time they spend doing the critique is at the least, a few minutes of their life that they are giving to the person requesting the critique. The recipient can agree, disagree, or consider the evaluation, but should always be appreciative of the time/gift that they recieved.

There is difference between critisism and critique. A critisim would be a statement similar to "I don't like the shape of the lower section." A critique would be a statement similar to "In my opinion, the shape could be improved by continuing the curve of the sidewall and in so doing, reducing the size of the foot."

A critique should pass along information that in the giver's opinion, would improve the piece.

Thanks again to all.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-03-2013, 1:26 PM
Dale,
Sorry not to have a critique. Mine is without question accolades. This is a wonderful piece of work. I love the fact that you combined joinery with turning, particularly good joining I might add. I don't expect this tea pot will ever actually make a cup of tea nor does it need to. It will just look amazing wherever it is displayed.
faust

Rick Markham
02-03-2013, 2:29 PM
No critique from me! It's a spectacular piece. Excellent craftsmanship, the square lid, and form really set it apart.