PDA

View Full Version : Anyone seen flexible crown molding?

Mike Vermeil
05-02-2005, 4:17 PM
I've seen flexible, paint-grade moldings of different types in magazines and on TV, but I've never seen flexible crown molding.

Anyone know of a source?

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Tim Sproul
05-02-2005, 4:44 PM
My lumber supplier has it available. It is VERY PRICEY. $20/ft comes to mind.

Jeff Sudmeier
05-02-2005, 4:57 PM
I have seen it in a house we were working on. No idea of the source. Just wanted to let you know it is out there...

Jim McCarty
05-02-2005, 8:02 PM
I've bought it many times. It is flexible, BUT, the manufacturer needs to know the inside or outside radius. This is because, unlike base or chair rail or some other flat applied molding, crown inside and outside radii (sp?) change with the radius of the wall. It's quite flexible and quite heavy compared to wood or mdf. It cuts ok, though. I live in So.Cal. and we have a couple of manufacturers out here. Resinart is one that comes to mind. You might also give Outwater plastics a call. They have a catalog and I think they will ship anywhere. As far as the price goes, it depends on what size crown you want. $8 to $10 a foot usually works for 3 1/2" to 4 1/2". Bigger crown goes up obviously. Good Luck.

Steve Clardy
05-04-2005, 9:48 AM
Just do a goggle on flex-mold. I've installed some of it. It dimples pretty bad when nailed on. Has to be filled afterwards