PDA

View Full Version : MiniMax CU300 Smart

Charlie Watson
02-02-2013, 11:42 AM
Anybody have experience with the CU300 Smart?

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_bs.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=35

I always dismissed combo machines as a compromise, you know, they do lots of things but none of them really well. Don't even know where I got that opinion from since I've never owned one. I've been told the CU300 is an exception. I don't really mind the inconvenience that comes with combo machines but I don't want the frustrations that come with lesser quality or poorly designed machines. I know MM has a great reputation but I don't know if that extends to the combo machine. Thanks all.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-02-2013, 12:00 PM
Charlie, when you get to this level of combo machine, I think the compromises end. I've never used the CU300 Smart, but MM has a great reputation, and I suspect it is a good machine. I see it has a 12" planer/jointer though, is that ok or would you prefer a 16"? The 410 is a 16". I wonder how the crosscut fence registers back to square. I saw a couple remarks about having issues getting it back to square after removal, but don't know what machine the poster was talking about. Felder's system is simple and bulletproof, and I suspect MM's is too, but maybe worth a look. For any machine, you are going to want good power feeder integration, make sure you approve of the options.

While you are looking at combos, I strongly recommend at least taking a look at the Felder CF741, just because I'm biased that way...

Chris Fournier
02-02-2013, 1:28 PM
Anybody have experience with the CU300 Smart?

http://www.minimax-usa.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage_bs.tpl&product_id=27&category_id=2&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=35

I always dismissed combo machines as a compromise, you know, they do lots of things but none of them really well. Don't even know where I got that opinion from since I've never owned one. I've been told the CU300 is an exception. I don't really mind the inconvenience that comes with combo machines but I don't want the frustrations that come with lesser quality or poorly designed machines. I know MM has a great reputation but I don't know if that extends to the combo machine. Thanks all.

I have a MM CU410 Elite S. Sure there are "process" compromises to be made when 5 machines are combined into one but machine quality is not a compromise that you have to make at all. You simply won't get as much woodworking machinery in one small space as you can with anything other than a combo machine. After having seen my MM a good friend of mine bought a MM CU 300 Smart and I helped him set it up. It is a very nice, robust machine. Compared to the Hammer, the sheet base is more robust and the castings are heavier and larger by a significant degree.

I looked at both MM, Hammer and Felder before I bought my machine. The MM is as close to industrial as you can get and the value was the best in my books. If you are considering a european combo machine you simply need to do your homework, decide what is most inportant to you and learn to use the machine of your choice. You won't look back.

Mike Hollingsworth
02-02-2013, 1:55 PM
I love my smart. Without it, there would be no way I could fit a shaper, sliding table saw, 12" jointer and planer, 24" band saw, 6x89 sander, full size lathe, cyclone, 20" wide belt, chop saw and full size work bench and tool chest into what used to be a two car garage.

Charlie Watson
02-02-2013, 6:44 PM
Thanks Guys, I thought given the price and reputation this would be a good machine. I will take a look at the Felder as well.

David Kumm
02-02-2013, 7:08 PM
Thanks Guys, I thought given the price and reputation this would be a good machine. I will take a look at the Felder as well.

Take a look at the pictures of the Elite S over on the sliding table shaper thread. Dave

Mike Ruggeri
02-02-2013, 10:09 PM
I have a CU300 Smart and absolutely love it. It is a complete joy to use and, for a hobbyist like myself, change over is no problem. I have the 8ft+ sliding table and I would highly recommend it. I looked at the Hammer, Felder and MM when I was shopping and narrowed it down to the Felder and MM as the Hammer was a bit "lighter" in my opinion. Of my total use, I use the tablesaw all the time, the jointer/planer a bunch, the shaper periodically and really never use the mortiser. In general, you really can't go wrong with european tools of this caliber.

Jim Becker
02-03-2013, 3:55 PM
Combos like the MiniMax CU3xx and CU4xx as well as similar products from other manufacturers aren't really "compromises" in my opinion; rather, they are just a different way to work. You get a ton of capability with significant capacities, all of which would cost you significantly more if you were buying discrete machines of similar capability/capacity. While I happened to go with a separate MiniMax sliding table saw and one of their J/P combos due to how my shop is physically configured, I would have been perfectly happy with one of the combos that included everything. I will not kid you...there is some level of learning curve with these machines, but honestly, I've found that to actually be beneficial because I plan things out better when it comes to workflow. And that little bit of "putting on the brakes" to setup for next steps can be good for safety as it reduces rushing...probably the number one cause of accidents.