PDA

View Full Version : What can I use to rough cut high pressure laminate/formica to size?

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2013, 11:35 AM
In a couple weeks I will be starting a new router table using Norm's revised plans. I purchased some formica to cover the table top and the faces of the fence parts.

It's been nearly 30 years since I worked with formica. What can I use to rough cut it oversized? I plan trimming it to final shape and size with a flush trim router bit.

Can I use a carbide bladed scribe like I use for scribing and snapping wonderboard backing for tile?

Can I get a special blade for my angle grinder?

Bill White
02-02-2013, 11:45 AM
Thin kerf high tooth count TS blade.
I have a steel "ply-tooth" blade that I have had for years. Not carbide, but cuts the really thin stuff well.
Ya just have to apply a temporary face to the fence to keep the laminate from getting caught underneath the fence.
Wear hearing and eye protection. Hope this helps.
Bill

Steven Hsieh
02-02-2013, 12:01 PM
Your regular table saw blade will work fine.

Matt Meiser
02-02-2013, 12:10 PM
A 3rd vote for the TS. Just make sure it can't slip under your fence like Bill said--some sit up a little off the table.

Keith Outten
02-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Ken,

What are the dimensions of your router table top?

Howard Acheson
02-02-2013, 12:48 PM
Use your carbide blade with the highest tooth count. The only issue is that the thin formica will want to slide under your fence. Clamp a board to your fence that fits tightly down onto your saw table.

Dick Brown
02-02-2013, 1:08 PM
Table saw, clamp a piece of 90 degree flashing to your fence, horizontal flange tight on the table top so your laminate slides on top of it. I use 2"x2" and bent a tab around the ends of the face of my Biesemeyer fence rather than clamps so I just slip it on. Works great and takes two seconds to put on/take off.

Andrew Fleck
02-02-2013, 1:12 PM
I rough cut all of mine with a pair of tin snips. Works great for me. I just built the router table you are about to build and I'm glad I went with the formica. I think it looks great.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2013, 1:19 PM
Keith....the finished table top will be 36" by 26". I bought the formica late last fall. I have plenty. I haven't cut any formica since I redid our kitchen 28 years ago. I honestly don't remember how I cut the formica to rough size then. It's old age.......

John Piwaron
02-02-2013, 1:40 PM
I built that very table, well the top, sorta, last spring. I had a 4' x 8' sheet to start with, I thought it was too floppy to use the TS. I used a jig saw to break it down to more manageable pieces, but I probably wasted more than most people would want to. I left each piece several inches over size for the part I intended to use it on.

FWIW, I used aluminum T track instead of a T track bit in my top. Same with the miter gauge slot. I don't have experience with a bit like that and I like the look of the aluminum pieces.

Ken Fitzgerald
02-02-2013, 2:00 PM
John...I have combination side-by-side T-track and miter track for the miter slot and like you I have t-track for the fence.

Michael Dedon
02-02-2013, 2:34 PM
I've always used a crosscut hand saw. Easy and comfortable strokes.

Jim Andrew
02-02-2013, 3:09 PM
There is a scribing tool you can buy. Has a carbide tip, looks like a utility knife. You start off just scratching it, then press a little harder and after a few strokes you can just break it off, or cut it clear through. Back the cut up with some plywood or other scrap. And use a straight edge on the piece you are saving, so if you slip it doesn't scratch the piece you are using.

Rod Sheridan
02-02-2013, 3:14 PM
Ken, I just cut it on the table saw using a fine carbide blade............Regards, Rod.

Chris Fournier
02-02-2013, 7:11 PM
Sadly I've used alot of this stuff in the last two years. I break it out using my slider and flush trim with a carbide insert router bit. Honestly there's no need to be fancy about the blade, carbide because it holds up well and anything other than a ripping configuration with work well.

I'm not a fan of exposed TS blades but I do recommend that you raise the blade higher than you normally would for a given material thickness as the laminate likes to pop up at the worst times. I'd have my blade 0.75" to 1.0" high.

Steven Hsieh
02-02-2013, 7:39 PM
I think you can do it on the bandsaw also.

lowell holmes
02-02-2013, 7:45 PM
+1 for the carbide scribe.

The table saw works as well, but some large pieces makes ne nervous.

Mark W Pugh
02-02-2013, 9:06 PM
Lay formica on your piece/s with an 1"/1.5" over hang on two sides. Use a router with flush trim bit and cut out on the other two sides. Now you have a piece that is 1-1.5" wider on each dimension. Be careful when you first start and end the plunge so you do not wonder in too far. Do that with all your pieces. For the sides, use a piece of scrap board a little longer than you need. Cut out strips a little wider than you need.

M Toupin
02-02-2013, 9:22 PM
The simplest and quickest method is to score it 2 or 3 times from the back side with a utility knife and snap it. Just did some last night.

Mike

Mike Manders
02-04-2013, 3:34 PM
The simplest and quickest method is to score it 2 or 3 times from the back side with a utility knife and snap it. Just did some last night.

Mike

+1 - I just used a sharp utility knife and scored it deep enough to break. It doesn't matter if the cut line is rough or ugly since it will be routed flush anyway. Tin snips work well too.

Mike Heidrick
02-04-2013, 5:08 PM
TS is all I used, Cut to rough size, and then flush trim with a handheld router. Was not even a good flush trim bit lol.

Best investment - true J-roller.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-27-2013, 5:04 PM
Thanks folks!

I used a tablesaw and it worked great!

Daniel Atkins
03-27-2013, 5:36 PM
Table saw works as has been said. Tin snips also, but you can easily cause an unintended crack. I prefer laminate shears, like tin snips with a double jaw on one side so they nibble out an 1/8" piece.

Chris Rosenberger
03-27-2013, 6:45 PM
After 40 year, the easiest way I have found to cut laminate is a sheet of 3/4" or thicker styrofoam larger than the sheet of laminate & a track saw.
Lay the styrofoam on a flat surface, lay the laminate on the styrofoam, set the blade depth about 1/8" below the laminate & cut away.
Any carbide blade will work, but a triple chip carbide blade works the best.

nilo villaflor
03-29-2013, 7:13 AM
I use mine with the diamond blade used for cutting ceramic tiles mounted on makita angle grinder. I made a jig mounted on the grinder where it only protrudes around 2 mm to cut the formica, it makes a clean cut...

Harry Niemann
03-30-2013, 8:49 PM
I have always used a tin shears.