PDA

View Full Version : Black Currant Tea

Michael Gibson
02-02-2013, 10:04 AM
Since moving from the UK and living in the South l am disappointed at not being able to find Black Currants here, one of my favorite fruits, so imagine my joy when Cynthia stuck her head around my workshop door and said the “AAW is having a juried exhibition for the National Symposium in Tampa called Currents, better get on it”, and l immediately immersed myself into this piece. l cannot believe they spelt it wrong.
Comments and Critique’s more than welcome. Michael.

Allan Ferguson
02-02-2013, 5:23 PM
That is just fantastic. I hope the judges will also appreciate it as much as I do..

David DeCristoforo
02-02-2013, 5:24 PM
This is a super cool piece. One could go on and on about it but what I like best is the play on words.

Glen Blanchard
02-02-2013, 5:32 PM
Exquisite !

Dale Miner
02-02-2013, 5:39 PM
"Since moving from the UK"

Michael,

That answers the question. I've wondered about all the 'Great Britain' photos on facebook.

The teapot is super! The currants are the berries. I assume the handle and spout are bandsawn out, and then rasps, files, etc. to get to the sanding stage.

You are the Hans Weissflog of teapots, nothing to critique as far as I can see.

You know how the Yanks are, can't spell or pronounce their words correctly.

Mind if I email you with a few questions?

Dale M

Bob Bergstrom
02-02-2013, 5:47 PM
That is one beautiful tea pot. Tell us more about currants. Is there really a tea. They look like small blueberries or huckleberries. I don't drink tea or coffee so I am totally knowlegdgeless. ( I think I made that word up?)

Roger Chandler
02-02-2013, 6:27 PM
Beautiful work, Micheal! Turning, is well done, and your artistry in embellishment is superb!

Timothy Mann
02-02-2013, 8:06 PM
Beautiful. I have been showing my finacee the works you and your wife do together and she is as amazed as I am.

Tim Browne
02-03-2013, 8:23 AM
Beautiful work, just brilliant (as my grandfather would say). When I read the title I almost expected something about twinings blackcurrant breeze.

art pfenn
02-03-2013, 8:46 AM
Unbelievable!

Michael Gibson
02-03-2013, 9:32 AM
"Since moving from the UK"

Michael,

That answers the question. I've wondered about all the 'Great Britain' photos on facebook.

The teapot is super! The currants are the berries. I assume the handle and spout are bandsawn out, and then rasps, files, etc. to get to the sanding stage.

You are the Hans Weissflog of teapots, nothing to critique as far as I can see.

You know how the Yanks are, can't spell or pronounce their words correctly.

Mind if I email you with a few questions?

Dale M

Dale, Thank you for your kind words, l do cut most of the handles and spouts on the bandsaw, but prefer to power sand/carve into shape. On this piece l turned the currants.

Look forward to your email. Michael

Michael Gibson
02-03-2013, 9:40 AM
That is one beautiful tea pot. Tell us more about currants. Is there really a tea. They look like small blueberries or huckleberries. I don't drink tea or coffee so I am totally knowlegdgeless. ( I think I made that word up?)

Bob, Thanks for your comment, surprisingly there is a Black Currant Tea although l have never tried it. Black Currants are very popular in the UK but not so much here, they are similar to blueberries, you may find them in jelly or in Jams as we say in the UK. It was more a play on words more than anything. Michael.

Greg Ketell
02-03-2013, 11:23 AM
Wait, you Turned the currants?!? I thought it was amazing before but that is just the icing on the cake!! Awesome job and I pity the other contestants!