PDA

View Full Version : Saw Vise

Richard Gillespie
05-02-2005, 3:33 PM
Made a saw vise that's clamps to my work bench. Used 5/4 Ash planned down to 1-1/8" thick. The side stretchers and the front have mortise and tenon Joinery. The mortises were cut with a Delta dedicated mortise but the tenons were cut by hand. The tenons going into the back risers are not attached. In fact they are planned down to be loose and wax was added. This was done so the vise could be taken apart for any future modifications.

The tenon sizes I used were for the sides 7/8" deep x 1-1/2" wide x 1/2" thick. The front tenons were 1" deep x 2-1/2" x 1/2" thick. I've included some pictures of the completed vise. I found it very tedious ripping the faces of the tenons with my Adria dovetail rip saw. That saw has 14 tpi. Could a small panel saw be used for that type of operation? I have two 20" panel saws with 10 tpi and could change one of them to be a rip saw.

Some might wonder why the knobs are so large. The reason is I had the wood and my turning skills are not that good plus I have large hands with arthritis in the fingers.

Alan Turner
05-03-2005, 11:41 AM
Nice piece of work. Use it well.

Jerry Palmer
05-03-2005, 1:34 PM
Great Job on that. Saw vises usually go fairly cheap on e-bay and I picked up one there. Nice thing about a shop made one is you can make it longer than the store bought ones and not have to be adjusting the saw in it to file the full length.

Robert Weber
05-03-2005, 2:03 PM
Sounds like you need a couple of dedicated tenon saws - 12-14", 10-12 pts, one filed xcut, one filed rip. You could do it with a small carcase/panel saw, but where's the fun (tool acquisition) in that?

Grease, grease, PUSH...