PDA

View Full Version : Pick Your Team: Left Coast or Right Coast

Rich Riddle
02-02-2013, 7:09 AM
Select your team to take the Superbowl in New Orleans on Sunday. Do you pick San Francisco or Baltimore. I want San Francisco to win. Time will tell.

Harold Burrell
02-02-2013, 7:48 AM
Neither...;)

Rich Engelhardt
02-02-2013, 8:09 AM
I plan to turn on the TV on Sunday to see some clever commercials.
If a football game breaks out, I'll be a little miffed if it interfers with that.....

James Baker SD
02-02-2013, 10:54 AM
I lived near SF in the Joe Montana days. Guess I'm still a little biased.

David G Baker
02-02-2013, 11:01 AM
When I worked in TV in San Francisco I spent a lot of time with Joe Montana and Dewight Clark after Superbowl 16 and I grew quite fond of the 49'ers. I still am.

Jerome Stanek
02-02-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm from Cleveland and anytime a team can beat the Baltimore Browns I mean Ravens I root for them. Also the owner of the 49ers is from this area.

paul cottingham
02-02-2013, 11:04 AM
Sort of lost interest after my beloved Packers got eliminated. Ironically I am left to root for the 49ers, as I live on the west coast. I take solace from the fact that the Broncos are not in the Superbowl.

kevin nee
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
BIG NEWS! New England is out so I will go with the AFC. The BIG NEWS is that in the football pool my numbers are 7-0. Let's hope for no safeties.

Gary Hodgin
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
I'd like to see the 49ers win but the ravens are hot. Any team who can beat Denver (my preference) and New England back to back on the road is tough to bet against.

P.S. My pick is the ravens in a real close game.

Shawn Pixley
02-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Left coast. Niether are my favorite teams but at least the super bowl this year is not of the usual suspects...

Jim Koepke
02-02-2013, 12:42 PM
RRRRRRRRRs

But we likely will not watch the game. Not really that big of a fan.

My friends in the SF area are all having a great time this year first with the Giants and now the 9ers. My memory goes back to their first SuperBowl win. When they won their third game that season I told one of my co-workers they were going to the SuperBowl. He looked at me and told me I was nuts. Some of the other folks in the room also smirked. In their most recent seasons they hadn't won more than two games. To me, winning three games was a sign. The rest is history.

The same kind of thing happened the year the Oakland A's and the S.F. Giants were in the World Series. That was a wild ride in more ways than one. A strange string of events had me just getting off the section of freeway that collapsed by less than three minutes. Because someone had previously told me about their car of the same make as mine having a problem with steering and the radio going out at the same time. This shocked The bejeebers out of me that those two things could be related as it happened to my car. Hitting the scan button brought in a station from another area. When they reported that they had just received information about an earthquake in S.F. it seemed reasonable. Imagine my shock when getting home and seeing the kids watching the coverage on TV showing the bridge and freeway collapses. One can only look up and give thanks at such moments.

The Loma Prieta earthquake of 1989 caused the longest delay between World Series games. What became the second longest delay between World Series games, 6 days due to rain, was between the same two teems albeit in different cities.

Coincidence?

jtk

David G Baker
02-02-2013, 1:47 PM
Jim, I was on the lower deck of Bay Bridge when the section fell. We had just passed the break and were approximately 1/8th of a mile on the Oakland side of the break I was part of a live crew and my partner and I fed all of the live remote video back to KGO, the only station on the air. It was a very exciting day. After it got dark we left the Bay Bridge and went to the Cyprus Structure and spent the night doing live feeds of the rescue efforts to KGO and ABC Network. We thought that there were thousands crushed under the Cyprus Structure but thanks to the World Series there were only a fraction of the fatalities that there could have been.

Myk Rian
02-02-2013, 2:20 PM
I thought the Lions were in it.. :confused:

Jim Koepke
02-02-2013, 2:59 PM
Jim, I was on the lower deck of Bay Bridge when the section fell. We had just passed the break and were approximately 1/8th of a mile on the Oakland side of the break I was part of a live crew and my partner and I fed all of the live remote video back to KGO, the only station on the air. It was a very exciting day. After it got dark we left the Bay Bridge and went to the Cyprus Structure and spent the night doing live feeds of the rescue efforts to KGO and ABC Network. We thought that there were thousands crushed under the Cyprus Structure but thanks to the World Series there were only a fraction of the fatalities that there could have been.

Often when coming home that way I would exit the freeway and take the surface street for that section. That day the traffic seemed light, my world would have been very different if my usual detour was taken. The sky was kind of strange looking west approaching the Cypress structure. I have seen the sky like that a few times before. There always seemed to be an earthquake after seeing the sky looking that way. I hadn't associated it with such until after the Loma Prieta earthquake. There are some in the scientific communities that suggest it is due to a release of gasses from deep in the earth. To me, it is just weird.

I still have a copy of the S.F. Chronicle from the day after. That was the smallest number of pages in an edition they had published in a long time.

jtk

Harold Burrell
02-03-2013, 7:02 AM
I thought the Lions were in it.. :confused:

No, no...that was the Tigers...in the World Series...and they lost.

So you can just go back to sleep...

:p

Don Morris
02-03-2013, 10:18 AM
I'm picking the winner. That way I never lose. My buddies are coming over because LOML has made New Orleans shrimp Gumbo. Good wine will be served, Guacamole with Taco chips, etc. before the Gumbo. Since the Redskins are out and I live in a burb of DC, I guess I'll have to go with the Ravens because so many friends are their fans. But just so everyone knows. RGIII is doing well, sends reports back on an almost daily basis and ya'll better watch out next year; because we almost got there this year, next year we will even be better.

Rich Riddle
02-03-2013, 10:41 AM
I'm picking the winner. That way I never lose. My buddies are coming over because LOML has made New Orleans shrimp Gumbo. Good wine will be served, Guacamole with Taco chips, etc. before the Gumbo. Since the Redskins are out and I live in a burb of DC, I guess I'll have to go with the Ravens because so many friends are their fans. But just so everyone knows. RGIII is doing well, sends reports back on an almost daily basis and ya'll better watch out next year; because we almost got there this year, next year we will even be better.Don, you have gumbo? That might have made a recent trip to Rockville, Maryland much more interesting. I would suppose many in your area are favoring the Ravens for this adventure.