PDA

View Full Version : A plane I made as a retirement gift

Leigh Betsch
02-01-2013, 10:14 PM
I made this plane and gave it away tonight. Cut from solid cast iron round stock (Durabar). Brass details, bronze acme screw, walnut wood.

Brian Kent
02-01-2013, 10:25 PM
That is really stunning. I am impressed both with the metal work and the complexity of the fit of the walnut. The interface of the cap screw is interesting. I assume that anchors the blade in place and doesn't push it back as you tighten it.

allen long
02-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Leigh,

Absolutely stunning (Brian already stole the best description!) I love the design esthetic. Has a retro/futuristic feel (I try to put into my own work - which could only hope to aspire to the craftsmanship in your plane!) Well played, Sir! You are a good friend for sure . . .

Sam Murdoch
02-01-2013, 10:39 PM
What a piece of work that is. Hey, I could be retiring someday - hint, hint :D.

Very lovely gift and tool.

Leigh Betsch
02-01-2013, 10:41 PM
Yup, locks down tight as a bug. I blued all the interface fits to assure every thing registers correctly. The blade makes full contact to the sole mouth opening. All surfaces ground on my surface grinder and fit well within .001.

Leigh Betsch
02-01-2013, 10:47 PM
A close up of the rope knurl. For those of you that go for that sort of thing.

Gary Herrmann
02-01-2013, 10:58 PM
Beautiful work, Leigh. Very impressive. That is some fantastic walnut too. The recipient must be giddy.

Leigh Betsch
02-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Yeah it's a piece of Bastogne walnut. I had to to do a lamination cause I didn't have a thick enough piece. But heck Holtey laminates his too! The base is made from solid, no dovetails for me! Made out of 2 3/4 round stock, thus the radius sides. Although I cut flats on the sides, so it can also be used on a shooting board. And blood grooves just for character. The sole is 3/8" thick. The mouth piece is adjustable. Fully closed it is fit to a .005 opening. I didn't have time to make an adjuster so I made a hammer head for him also (posted in another thread). I have two more of the same design 90% done. One more as a gift and one for me.

Phil Thien
02-01-2013, 11:42 PM
That thing is too beautiful to use!

Brent VanFossen
02-01-2013, 11:43 PM
Beautiful! I haven't seen many with adjustable mouths. Nice work.

george wilson
02-02-2013, 7:31 AM
You must have had a PILE of chips making that!!! What kind of mill do you have,Liegh? Great work!! Dura bar is not cheap stuff!

Mike Cozad
02-02-2013, 8:00 AM
That is amazing craftsmanship. Looks museum quality to me. Great work! How many hours do you have to put into artwork like that?

David Weaver
02-02-2013, 8:35 AM
Very crisply executed, Leigh. Really nice!

Leigh Betsch
02-02-2013, 10:31 AM
You must have had a PILE of chips making that!!! What kind of mill do you have,Liegh? Great work!! Dura bar is not cheap stuff!
A pile of chips is right. Actually several piles. Here is the pile beneath my mill. It's a small Clausing horizontal. I used a shell mill on the back side of the mill to hog the channel out. Then I finish milled with a stagger tooth side milling cutter. I used a gear cutter to cut the blood grooves. The fine work in the mouth on the Moore jig borer, curvy work on the little Max CNC mill, then I finish ground all surfaces with my 6x18 KO Lee. Here's a few construction pics. I took a bunch of pics and video of the process, thought I'd start a thread in the metalworking forum. If I can figure out how to post videos.
I got lucky and found two feet of 3" Durabar at the surplus store for $35. The stuff is very heavy and dense, cuts wonderfully but it is dirty. Its not stainless so it will rust if not taken care of but because of its density I think it will make a great plane body. Lots of clean up when you cut the stuff. When the weather warms up so I can open the doors and use fans I'm gonna wash my entire shop down.

Leigh Betsch
02-02-2013, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE! How many hours do you have to put into artwork like that?[/QUOTE]
I lost track of the hours but it took most of my spare time. I have two woddies for the Great Woodie Build Off thread that have been waiting for wedges since April. I stopped everything, even posting here just to get these finished. I would guess that I have 500 hours into the three of them. I'm sure a few folks here could have whittled them out with a pocket knife in a weekend but I gotta build the way I know how.

Gordon Eyre
02-02-2013, 11:00 AM
To say I am impressed would be a gross understatement. You are a true craftsman.

Jim Koepke
02-02-2013, 1:38 PM
Wow! A great inspiration.

jtk

Steve Rozmiarek
02-03-2013, 3:03 AM
Leigh, that is an awesome plane! Love the look!

Leigh Betsch
02-03-2013, 9:47 AM
Just remember Steve, you started it and it's all your fault! I didn't even own a plane when you were here.
Hows the Oliver treating you? I'm planning a road trip to pick up a 1939 Rivett metal lathe in CT. The sport goes on........

Pat Barry
02-03-2013, 9:56 AM
Fantastic work. I suspect a true and realistic price for that creation would be $35,000.

Leigh Betsch
02-03-2013, 10:11 AM
I suspect a true and realistic price for that creation would be $35,000.
Ha, wouldn't that be great. At the retirement party another woodworkers wife whispered that she wants to buy one for her husband. I told her to look me up later and we'd discuss. I know she has no clue about how much it will cost. I like to make things, but not many people will pay what they are worth. So I mostly just give them to friends and family members that will at least value them for what they are worth.

Steve Rozmiarek
02-03-2013, 12:00 PM
Leigh, I would say you took the slippery slope to a whole new level! The Oliver is currently giving me a guilty conscience because it is sitting in a messy shop/staging area waiting on the new one to be finished. One of these days...

I know you have a reason to pick each tool, why did you pick that particular lathe?

Matthew N. Masail
02-03-2013, 1:54 PM
Niicceee! That's special. I really like how it kinda looks like a carving, a piece of art not just a mare tool. I especially LOVE the front knob.

I do think the screw can be a little shorter.

Klaus Kretschmar
02-03-2013, 2:05 PM
Man Leigh! That's something special for sure. A beautiful plane and a very unique one that clearly shows that a lot of thoughts went into. Lucky guy who will get this piece of artwork.

Cheers
Klaus

Leigh Betsch
02-03-2013, 8:34 PM
I know you have a reason to pick each tool, why did you pick that particular lathe?
Well I do metal work just as a hobby these days, so I don't have to worry much about high metal removal rates. The Rivett 608's were made super precise and they are just way cool. Once restored they are just beautiful. They are simple to restore and maintain. I've used 1/2 dozen Hardinge HVL lathes and they would be my choice if I needed to use it to make money. If I wanted a big project I'd get a Monarch 10ee, but the electronic drives are complicated and I just don't want a big project. I really don't need a lathe bigger than a 9 1/2 swing, my SB is a 13" swing and I really never come close to needing the capacity. Did I say they are just beautiful. Here's a few pics of a couple of restored ones.

Did I say they are way cool?

Leigh Betsch
02-03-2013, 8:58 PM
I do think the screw can be a little shorter.
Finally some good contructive criticism. You are right the screw is too long, the clamp is also too vertical. Both of these are because I made it to have a 1/4" thick blade but ran out of time to make one. So I bought a 3/16" thick one from Lee Valley. This caused the clamp to tilt further forward, thus the longer screw. I could have made the foot ( I think a screw without a foot looks unfinished) longer but that would also look out of balance. So I settled on leaving the screw a bit longer. Good eye.

Matthew N. Masail
02-04-2013, 11:48 AM
That makes sense. I useally don't get why makers leave it so long, and let the cap screw go to such a high angle,
yours if almost vertical! but it's not how you meant it. I think this one is better balanced http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fyWnPCACV0

I do think your foot idea is genius