PDA

View Full Version : Claro Walnut Box

Timothy Mann
02-01-2013, 8:08 PM
This is obviously very similar to boxes post by Michael and Richard recently. I was inspired by their turnings to try one of my own, I do hope no one is upset that I blatantly copied your works. This is about "5 x "5. Claro Walnut with African Blackwood knob. Inset on the top of knob and under the lid is an amethyst stone in a 14 caret gold setting the inspiration for this is Cindy Drozda of course. I tried to replicate the shape of the lid into the top of the knob. Lacquer & Ren wax finish. First time with the photo tent. The photos came out ok considering the not so great camera we have. C & C are welcome and encouraged.

Thomas Canfield
02-01-2013, 8:25 PM
Very nice job. I think that others would be proud that you thought enough of their work to copy. That seems to be what a lot of woodturning and turners are all about. Lots of nice detail.

Richard Jones
02-01-2013, 10:25 PM
First off, I am honored to have had my name associated with Mr. Stafford's work. Some of my recent boxes have been blatant copies of his, because I think them to be as near to perfect as any I have ever seen, for that particular style, which happens to be my favorite. I don't know why, I just like it. Anyway, thank you for the kind words. I really love boxes. They allow you to make something useful out of a small piece of wood, and give the maker a palette with which to be either ornate or utilitarian, or a mix of both. They are fairly quick to make, compared to some other items, and that really works for me and my brain at this stage in life. Though small, they give the maker the opportunity to practice many different techniques.

Mike gave me a tip the other week that I believe has made my boxes look better, at least to me and the wife. Reducing the diameter of the lid so that it's a bit smaller than the box seems to make the curve from the bottom of the box to the top of the lid flow better. Not always, but most of the time, at least for me. I like the upsweep of your lid, and while I think the top is just a bit too tall, I like the overall shape of the piece, and I also like the pull, both for shape and for contrast. Any larger and it might tend to overpower. If you look at the first picture, I see the whole form, not just the pull. I would probably have carried the curve at the bottom more, it looks almost like you have a foot there, but hard to tell with the pic. I love the detail on the inside of the lid and remember what Mr. Raffan had to say about that (I believe it was in the piece about a wine bottle coaster): You don't have to do something like that, but why not make it harder on yourself, or something to that effect. This is how we all improve, by pushing the limits a bit at a time. Plus, artisans have been putting ornamentation like this on pieces for hundreds of years, something I think about every time I do this. I like that tradition. I would probably not have done that much detailing, not that there is anything wrong with that, but sometimes a small bit of detailing can be better while giving the illusion of there being more than there really is. Can't see the trees for the forest.......

Overall, I really think it's a neat box and the jeweled pull a nice touch.

And again, I am humbled by your words. Thank you.

allen long
02-02-2013, 12:40 AM
Nicely done! I tend to agree with Richard's idea of reducing the diameter of the lid to enance the form. That said, I really like the extra details of the lid interior. I could only wish to match your fit, finish, and technique!

Michael Stafford
02-02-2013, 2:06 AM
Timothy, I think you did a fabulous job with a timber that can be difficult. I like the way claro walnut looks when it is finished but sometimes it can be a pain to turn. I have some wonderful claro walnut in my box stash with loads of curl but it is a bit splintery to turn. The only suggestions I would make is to slightly reduce the height and diameter of the lid so that it will be more in proportion to the body of the box. It is interesting how a lid can affect the appearance of a box. If it is slightly too large it will dominate the appearance and make the box look top heavy.

I like the way you incorporated ideas from Cindy Drozda into your box. The resulting box is distinctively yours and as I always say I own no shapes or styles and anyone can feel free to use my work for inspiration as I probably used someone else's work as well. You did a very good job of keeping the grain aligned at the join and the finish and shape of the interior is well done. I hope you will turn more boxes because I love to see boxes.

Justin Stephen
02-02-2013, 9:30 AM
I also agree that the overall form might benefit from the lid diameter being a bit smaller. It's always good to emphasize the curvature of the body in a box of that style. Overall though, that is some beautiful work. I have a couple of nieces who would scream with joy if I gave them that for a birthday present.

Michael Stafford
02-02-2013, 10:03 AM
Justin, sounds like you need to turn a couple of boxes. I got my nickname from my nieces and nephews for whom I made wooden toys when they were little. Rather than calling me Uncle they just called me Big Mike since I am of such small stature......:p

Timothy Mann
02-02-2013, 8:03 PM
Thank you for the kind words and the critques. Michael and Richard I will take your suggestions to heart and thank you for being honest in your comments. My neice sent me a note this morning and wants me to turn her one similar to this, so I will try to put into practise the suggestions you made here, again thank you all for being honest and for the kind words!