PDA

View Full Version : Jessem Mast-r-slide

keith micinski
02-01-2013, 7:32 PM
After seeing the Jessem Mast-r-slide in a previous post I am obsessed with it. It looks it would be perfect for must of the crosscutting I do. I don't know why but I have never wanted to make a sled and store it somewhere, actually I think it is because most of the people I have seen that built a sled use it for a little while and then they don't use it for two years. Plus I have been doing a lot of dadoes for bookcases lately and this would be the perfect accessory for cutting the dadoes in the 5 to 7 feet long pieces. I saw mixed reviews to positive reviews overall so far, would someone please tell me how awful one is because I haven't been able to stop thinking about getting one all day and its killing me that I cant just go out and by one.

Alan Bienlein
02-01-2013, 7:57 PM
Sure wish I could tell you how awful it is but that would be a lie!

I've had mine since October 2009 and won't go back to a sled. The widest I've cross cut with it so far was 42". When I have to re install the fence I use a speed square against the fence rail and the miter slot to line it up and it's good to go. That's about the only flaw I can see with it as it has a little too much slop in the hold downs until they are tightened.

Peter Quinn
02-01-2013, 8:01 PM
I've had one in the box for several years, looks great in person, I haven't found the time and will to make the necessary mods to the fence and back rail. I saw one in action, though it felt great, bought this one when rockler was divesting of Jessum stock. There it sits. I'm telling myself this is the year I put it on, though I'm also considering putting it on a shaper. I get by with a sled or two. Its a great work out hoisting the big sled up un the saw....:rolleyes:.

Peter Kelly
02-01-2013, 8:09 PM
I actually scored a new old stock one recently on Amazon and set it up a few weeks ago. Installation takes a very long time mainly due to the way the sliding mechanism was designed. Trying to level the sliding table carriage without distorting it's ways is very difficult to do. There also seems to be some amount of play when the table is fully extended that I can't seem to eliminate. Definitely better than a sled and takes up much less space than an Excalibur sliding table.

Overall, nicely made but you're going to be disappointed if you've owned or used a "real" sliding table saw in the past. Made me realise how much miss my old Hydro 3200.

Ah well.

keith micinski
02-01-2013, 8:15 PM
I haven't used a "real" slider and the cost of them means that I probably never will so I would probably be really happy with a lesser version. Does anyone know what brand this one is?

Alan Bienlein
02-01-2013, 8:25 PM
I've used real sliders ( Altendorf, SCMI and Holz-Her) since the early 80's all with 10' rip capacity and 10 hp main motors with 14" and 16" blades and a scoring blade. If you do alot of sheet goods then they are beneficial. I still prefer a cabinet saw over a slider.

I didn't by the jessum to try and make my saw into a slider. I bought the slider attachment as I was unhappy with the cross cut sled and how unsafe they could be with larger pieces.

joe milana
02-01-2013, 8:30 PM
That looks like Laguna's offering.

keith micinski
02-01-2013, 8:37 PM
I like that one in the photo because it looks like you can leave the left side wing on.

Robert Chapman
02-01-2013, 8:41 PM
I have used my Jessem Mast-r-slide for a number of years on two different table saws. It is a great addition for a number of reasons. I requires no additional leg[s] for support. Mine is made to close tolerances - no slop. It stays in accurate adjustment once accurately installed. It is essentially maintenance free. It is ruggedly constructed. The really bad thing about the Mast-r-slide is that Jessem doesn't make them any more. I would not be without mine.

Cary Falk
02-01-2013, 8:53 PM
Keith,
Sorry I did that to you.:D As I said in the other thread, I love mine. It is a little of a pain to align but it is smooth and when I remove the fence it goes back exactly where it came off. There is one locally, or there used to be). If you are interested let me know and I will see if I can get it. You might call Jessem and see if they are going to make them again. Grizzly and Laguna sell a small on as in the picture above but it has legs wouldn't work very well if your saw is on wheels.
Cary

keith micinski
02-01-2013, 8:57 PM
Yes Carry, I am interested if you could look into it for me that would be great. I like that Laguna one quite a bit but your right it is supposed to have legs on it. I dont move my saw around so that wouldnt be a stopper for me but I do like the compactness of the Jessem.

Tim Janssen
02-01-2013, 9:00 PM
I haven't used a "real" slider and the cost of them means that I probably never will so I would probably be really happy with a lesser version. Does anyone know what brand this one is?

Laguna sells these so does Grizzly, check it out here: http://www.grizzly.com/search/search.aspx?q=T10223&cachebuster=8332511614514332
I installed one on my SawStop PCS.

Tim

Mark Carlson
02-01-2013, 9:07 PM
I bought one as soon as they came out. Its great, really sturdy, and stays aligned. I don't make sleds anymore. I didn't realize they weren't available anymore. I recently saw a video on askwoodman.com where he made one out of 80/20 extrusions and linear bearings. I think a series of videos on how to make one is coming. You could go that route.

~mark

David Nelson1
02-01-2013, 9:15 PM
Keith,
You didn't mention what type saw you had so....... I installed the Laguna slider see this thread (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?161194-Need-Some-Feed-Back-Installing-A-Slider-for-the-T-S&highlight=) for a few comments and photos. The one I installed claimed to fit most cabinet saws and it does mean cabinet saw not a contractor wanna be like I have. The biggest problem was the top thickness, not enough room to mount the slider level with the top of the saw. I now have an extra inch space I have to use an Aux on every cut. For cross cuts up to 49 inches it great and reliable.

David Nelson1
02-01-2013, 9:20 PM
Yes Carry, I am interested if you could look into it for me that would be great. I like that Laguna one quite a bit but your right it is supposed to have legs on it. I dont move my saw around so that wouldnt be a stopper for me but I do like the compactness of the Jessem.

If you don't move the saw the legs are not a problem. With the slide locked it barely impacts the foot print. You do have to whack the rails so if you decide to bite the bullet keep that in mind.

keith micinski
02-01-2013, 9:41 PM
I have a Grizzly 1023 like in the photo and I like the fact that the left side table can apparently stay on and I dont have to cut my fence rail which isn't an issue because I don't need the extra rail on the left side of my blade since I haven't cut over there in the 5 years I have owned the fence but I still don't want to cut it if I don't have to.

Cary Falk
02-01-2013, 9:52 PM
Keith, If you are refering the the photo of my saw, the left wing is removed and the fence was shifted over so I did not have to cut it. I will call the local store when they open tomorrow at 9AM and send you a pm with the info.
Cary

keith micinski
02-01-2013, 10:24 PM
THanks Carry the photo I posted with the Laguna one has the wing still on it.

Mike Cutler
02-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Okay, the awful things:

1.) There is a slight crown to the sled which if you don't notice it right off, you'll set the slider too high and have problems with a square cut.
2.)The outrigger support is a little flimsy and doesn't line up exactly perfectly in plane with the top of the slider table. A little shim stock and the problem is solved.
3.) Setting the sled for a perfect 90 takes a little doing until you realize that the two fence locking knobs sort of fight each other. Use feeler gauges and set one, the rear, stop block, then get the 90 and lock the 2nd forward stop block, remove the feeler gauge, loosen the rear and slide it up to the front, and then lock them in place again.
4.) If you move the fence to do and angle cut, make sure the sliding track is clear of dust when you set it back, or the 90 will be off.
5.) Setting it up by yourself is sort of a pain. it's got some weight to it.
6.) It hurts if you come around the end of the saw with the fence sticking out.:eek:

The good;
1.) It's very repeatable and accurate, way more than the cheesy tape,and protractor scale is comes with is capable of. Use quality measuring tools with this fence.
2.) It's robust and well made. Jigs and clamps can easily be affixed to it.
3.) There are a lot of bearings in the mechanism. It slides true the whole stroke.

I've had one on my saw since they first came out, and consider it probably one of my best purchases. It makes an average saw, like mine, much better.

Cary Falk
02-02-2013, 12:22 PM
Hey Mike,
No go on the Jessem at the local store. They don't have it anymore. Y ou cold call Jessem and see if they are going to make them again or go for the Grizzly/Laguna. It's the same slider so I would buy it from Grizzly for better CS. They do show up on E-bay every now and again.

Robert Chapman
02-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Just stumbled onto this product - www.busybeetools.com/products/SLIDING (http://www.busybeetools.com/products/SLIDING)- Table-ATTACHMENT-FOR-CX200.htlm Looks a lot like the Jessem product but bigger and has legs. Not a bad price. I do not rep this company.

Stephen Cherry
02-02-2013, 1:07 PM
this would be the perfect accessory for cutting the dadoes in the 5 to 7 feet long pieces. .

How about the radial arm saw for this? It has the advantages of climb cutting the dado for reduced tearout, and you could reference the bottom of the pieces from the fence stop.

keith micinski
02-02-2013, 3:06 PM
Stephen don't ruin my tool buying opportunity:) I just bought a radial arm saw a few weeks ago almost exclusively for this purpose but I haven't gotten around to making a good long fence for it yet that I can attach stops so I can make repeat dadoes for each side. I probably should have just made the fence and then cut the Dadoes on the radial saw because I was itching to try it but just wanted to get the bookcase done since I am making it for a friend and therefor almost losing money on the project. The other problem with this is that I always have a dedicated ripping blade on my table saw and am lazy about swapping the blade out plus I already have a 12 inch sliding monster Milwaukee mitre saw that I do my cross cutting on and I just bought the Radial arm saw which currently has no use but again I don't want any of that to stand in my way of buying yet another tool.

Vic Damone
02-02-2013, 11:35 PM
Anybody have an idea what a used Jessem Mast-R-Slide would cost?

keith micinski
02-03-2013, 12:13 AM
I am hoping no more then 300. It might even be less since some of these were had on pretty sever closeouts.

Mike Heidrick
02-03-2013, 7:51 AM
I am hoping no more then 300. It might even be less since some of these were had on pretty sever closeouts.

With as rare as they are $475 would be my asking price. Just because there was a sale 5 years ago that you missed out on does not mean the seller owes you to make it cheap. And any person that buys into the 50% new model is a ,, well there is one born everyday. Rolleyes.

These are niche and there are not any better sliding tables out there without legs that are this precise.

Find one new.

Mike Cutler
02-03-2013, 9:39 AM
Anybody have an idea what a used Jessem Mast-R-Slide would cost?

Vic

If you find one that is complete, and unaltered, I think it' going to cost you.
They were pretty expensive new,and when you look at the actual parts and quality, I'm not sure the profit margin was as high as JessEm anticipated.
They were dumped because JessEm seemed to be a little sketchy for a year or two, and there was rumor that they may go under, and they were expensive. Anybody that got one on blowout pricing was very fortunate. I paid full price for mine,and would again.
They also got some bad reviews early on because there was a "crown" problem with the sliding table piece. I'm not sure if it was an intentional crown, or an unavoidable crown, but mine has a slight crown to it. It makes the setup a little difficult, because the crown has to be level with table saw top, and not the edge which is what you would intuitively want to do. Two strong backs, a couple clamps and some motor mount shim stock were required to get mine aligned. the motor mount shim stock is to compensate for the difference in 90 degree angles of the Slide, and the table saw casting. It's a critical dimension to making the slide and saw work properly.

Peter Kelly
02-03-2013, 12:07 PM
Like I said, I bought a new old stock one on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/JessEm-07500-MAST-R-SLIDE-Sliding-Attachment/dp/B000G1KNXC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top) back in December. If you keep watching that page or add the term "Jessem Mast-R-Slide" to Google Alerts, you'll find one eventually. They seem to appear on the Swap Meet forum of Canadian Woodworking pretty regularly too.

Expect to pay around $500.

Cyrus Brewster 7
02-03-2013, 12:57 PM
With as rare as they are $475 would be my asking price. Just because there was a sale 5 years ago that you missed out on does not mean the seller owes you to make it cheap. And any person that buys into the 50% new model is a ,, well there is one born everyday. Rolleyes.

These are niche and there are not any better sliding tables out there without legs that are this precise.

Find one new.

Actually, the discontinued Dewalt slider is/was fantastic. Dead accurate, no legs, and cast iron. I found one for sale on CL for $200 - 7 years old but still in the box. however, i am guessing these would be hard to find.

Peter Kuhlman
02-03-2013, 1:25 PM
So do you have to remove the side extension of the table top to install the Jessem?
How far out does it extend?
How far out does the fence stick out when retracted?

I ask because I have one still in a sealed box that I never installed in my tiny shop. If it doesn't take up much space, I just might get aroung to installing it! Otherwise I will just hang onto it until I either move or build a bigger shop.

Vic Damone
02-03-2013, 2:07 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. The reason I need a reasonable price is I'll be selling my contractor saw soon and I'm undecided as to how much to ask as its pictured below.

Even though the Rigid trued up nicely it's still somewhat of a pedestrian tool. I managed to seal the box using magnetic sheet and a plastic bottom and dust collection plumbing which works surprisingly well. I also added the small green outfeed table and relocated the power switch.

Cary Falk
02-03-2013, 3:52 PM
Jet also made a small on that was probably like the DeWalt. It was well received. It was CI if I recall. I have seen thme listed on CL and Ebay for around $200

keith micinski
02-03-2013, 4:12 PM
There is a reason they don't sell to many of these tools no matter how good they are. It is a Niche market which doesn't mean high dollar on resale value, it means not very many people want what you have no matter how good it is. I wouldn't consider paying over 50 percent for a used tool unless it said Festool on it and I wouldn't expect more then 50 percent if I was selling a used tool that I didn't need or no longer used anymore thus the reason for selling it. I also don't "Expect" someone to sell something cheap because they got a good deal on it but when you have less money invested into something it makes it easier to justify selling it for less, again the reason someone is selling an item is because they don't need it, aren't using it, or replaced it with something else and it is probably taking up space that is more valuable to them then the item they are selling. I have yet to come across someone that says I love this item and it is the best but for some reason I just want to sell it. Most of these units new were around 600 and apparently can still be had new for a discounted price, expecting more then 50 percent for it is unreasonable especially when you figure unless you get real lucky locally your going to have to ship this item which adds a whole other dimension to a sell.

Mike Heidrick
02-03-2013, 5:16 PM
Jet also made a small on that was probably like the DeWalt. It was well received. It was CI if I recall. I have seen thme listed on CL and Ebay for around $200

My buddy had one on a proshop or whatever Jet called them - That littlle table was beefy!

Mike Heidrick
02-03-2013, 5:26 PM
Respectfully Best of luck to you on the search - and I'll keep a look out too for new/used ones for you. If you find a source for some, after you buy yours :) , post it up here. I have a feeling several guys would like one.

Mike Heidrick
02-03-2013, 5:27 PM
Actually, the discontinued Dewalt slider is/was fantastic. Dead accurate, no legs, and cast iron. I found one for sale on CL for $200 - 7 years old but still in the box. however, i am guessing these would be hard to find.

Yep, forgot about that one too! Have not seen it in awhile!

Cary Falk
02-03-2013, 5:29 PM
Amazon has a used Jet for $190. It says in very good condition. A Jet and DeWalt sliding tables on CL in Cali for $200. Maybe they whould ship.

Joseph Tarantino
02-03-2013, 5:54 PM
Thanks for the quick responses. The reason I need a reasonable price is I'll be selling my contractor saw soon and I'm undecided as to how much to ask as its pictured below.

Even though the Rigid trued up nicely it's still somewhat of a pedestrian tool. I managed to seal the box using magnetic sheet and a plastic bottom and dust collection plumbing which works surprisingly well. I also added the small green outfeed table and relocated the power switch.

nice set up. almost looks like the accessories (incra fence and miter slider) would be worth more than the TS they're mounted to.

keith micinski
02-03-2013, 7:16 PM
After seeing the Laguna and one called a Craftex cx200s I am really liking the added size of those units plus it looks like cutting 45's on those unit might be a little better.

Tim Janssen
02-03-2013, 8:34 PM
After seeing the Laguna and one called a Craftex cx200s I am really liking the added size of those units plus it looks like cutting 45's on those unit might be a little better.

Here is a thread that covers the installation of the Grizzly unit, same as the Laguna. In Canada, King Tools sell the same unit under their brand name.
http://forum.canadianwoodworking.com/showthread.php?39180-Sliding-Table-Attachment.
Hope this helps you making a decision.

Tm

Bernie Kopfer
02-03-2013, 9:12 PM
I just today used my Mast-r-slide to cut a dozen tenons and the smoothness and repeatability always amazes and pleases me. However i think that Jessum no longer makes them, they are not listed on their website any more. Get one if you can, you won't regret it.

Mike Cutler
02-03-2013, 9:31 PM
There is a reason they don't sell to many of these tools no matter how good they are. It is a Niche market which doesn't mean high dollar on resale value, it means not very many people want what you have no matter how good it is. I wouldn't consider paying over 50 percent for a used tool unless it said Festool on it and I wouldn't expect more then 50 percent if I was selling a used tool that I didn't need or no longer used anymore thus the reason for selling it. I also don't "Expect" someone to sell something cheap because they got a good deal on it but when you have less money invested into something it makes it easier to justify selling it for less, again the reason someone is selling an item is because they don't need it, aren't using it, or replaced it with something else and it is probably taking up space that is more valuable to them then the item they are selling. I have yet to come across someone that says I love this item and it is the best but for some reason I just want to sell it. Most of these units new were around 600 and apparently can still be had new for a discounted price, expecting more then 50 percent for it is unreasonable especially when you figure unless you get real lucky locally your going to have to ship this item which adds a whole other dimension to a sell.

Keith

I would agree with you normally, but every now and then a tool comes along that sort of skews the curve, and I think that in time, this may be one of them.
Much like the original Delta Tenon Jig, which still sells for over twice it's original retail price, after about a zillion other tenon jig/system have hit and dropped out of the marketplace that perform the same function. This is an accessory that may join that crowd. Only time will tell.
If I could find one for $300.00, NIB, I'd buy it and mount it to my other table saw.
Any tool/accessory is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, and what someone is willing to sell it for. If it's truly not worth more than $300.00 to you, then don't buy one. Many other slider system are available. Find one that suits your purpose and you are willing to buy, because that's the only one that will ever be worth it to you.

I'll tell you about an "odd" tool I own, sort of like the Mast-R-Slide. The INCRA Model 2000 Miter.
I have this miter,and I hate it! I truly do. I would rather spend three days making a jig than use this miter. If I could justify it, I'd throw it in the river behind the house. But it works!! It flat out does everything INCRA said it would do, but I still don't like it, never have. I do use it,but for some reason I just hate setting it up and aligning it on each machine I want to use it on. It is incredibly accurate and repeatable, but it just doesn't work with the way I work.
Some folks love this miter, me I hate it. Each person is different though, and when I do see one for sale, it is often near the new retail price that I paid for one. Which is probably what prevents me from throwing it in the river.
I think I use it still because it's worth $$$. I'm messed up.:eek:

keith micinski
02-03-2013, 9:59 PM
Dammit Carry, I have spent more time over the last three days researching a slider attachment for a table saw. I need an 8 inch jointer really bad an instead I am obsessed with this thing. The good thing is I am sure I want the Grizzly, Laguna version now so that makes it a little easier since they still make those.

Mike Heidrick
02-03-2013, 10:07 PM
You can make sled LOL get the jointer!!

keith micinski
02-03-2013, 11:28 PM
While I don't disagree I know that every time I drug the sled out it would irk me. I am a little concerned about some of the reading I have been doing about people having to re square there fence every time they move it and some of them are saying the mitre bar has to much slop in it. One thing I won't be doing is breaking out the square and doing a bunch of adjustments every time I want to use it. I'll have to look into that more. Maybe I will be back looking for a Jessem master slide after all.

Rick Potter
02-04-2013, 2:21 PM
Just to add another direction to this thread, I have both the Jessem and the smallest Excalibur slider. Currently the Jessem is on the saw, but I actually prefer the Excalibur and will put it back on the saw one of these days. Of course, I do not move my saw, so the legs don't bother me.

Rick Potter

Kevin Guarnotta
02-04-2013, 2:37 PM
I've got the sawstop pcs 1.75HP, and was about to start on a sled when I saw this thread. What do you think, would you recommend it? Do you move your saw around? I have my saw on wheels, and do move it maybe twice a month.

Dave Anthony
02-04-2013, 4:07 PM
I've had the Jessem for several years and like it a lot. It's currently mounted on a Sawstop PCS, previously it was on a contractor's saw. You need to remove the left wing of the saw and cut or move the rails. I bought the Sawstop new and cut the rails to make room for the slider before I made the 1st cut with the saw, which gives you an idea how much I like the slider. It takes ~ 1-2 hours to get it aligned and setup properly, after which it's maintenance free. I can cut perfect miters using stop blocks, and get accurate 90 and 45 degree cuts using only the scale. I've used it for everything from small boxes to mitered cabinet doors, to a large fireplace mantle. My shop is a 2-car garage and the saw faces the door to allow for long rips. I routinely rotate the saw 90 degrees to cross cut long pieces, and haven't used my miter saw for years. It can't compare to a true slider for processing sheet goods, but works quite well for the type of work I do.

Kevin Guarnotta
02-04-2013, 6:45 PM
Just an FYI on this, I called Jessem today to find out about this item. They said they no longer carry it, and have not immediate plans for carrying it in the future. They said they were having issues with quality control-so they stopped making them.

I admit-I never heard of or saw one of these things before, but was just researching sleds, as I need one for a piece I want to make, and stumbled on this thread. The thing looks great, so I'll be scouring the net(like the rest of you) looking for one. Any of you guys that have one sitting in a box, that have never opened, and don't think they will realistically get around to installing it, let me know...:cool: