PDA

View Full Version : PVC free heat transfer vinyl

Martin Boekers
02-01-2013, 5:36 PM
Just searching some sites for a bit and found out that Magic Touch now carries PVC heat transfer
Vinyl in limited colors so I though I'd pass it on....

www.themagictouchusa.com/p1078/123-Flex-Cut-Material/product_info.html (http://www.themagictouchusa.com/p1078/123-Flex-Cut-Material/product_info.html)

Joe Pelonio
02-01-2013, 7:11 PM
Funny how they call it Vinyl but it's Polyethylene, not vinyl. I guess "vinyl" has now become a generic term for any flexible colored films. Nice to have something that can be laser cut safely for textile graphics for those without a plotter. Thanks for sharing.

Richard Rumancik
02-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Ok, I'm confused . . . the 123Flex looks to be vinyl to me - Joe, where did you read polyethylene? I must have missed something. I did see that they have a product called Premium Flex that is polyurethane.

Greg Holt
02-03-2013, 12:04 AM
My understanding would be that Vinyl is just common a shortening of "Polyvinyl Chloride" or PVC

Mike Null
02-03-2013, 7:56 AM
Isn't that the same material that's available from many suppliers for pressing on fabrics?

Rodne Gold
02-03-2013, 8:16 AM
You do get PVC free sign "vinyl" , its polyester based (3m make it) , most mirrored gold and silver "sign vinyl" is made like that. If your self adhesive sign material has no stretch at all , its most likely PVC free..

Richard Rumancik
02-03-2013, 10:47 AM
Ok, I found this in a FAQ for Magic Touch:

What's the difference between flex and regular vinyl?

TMT cut material is formulated for use with textiles. It is made of polyethylene. Regular vinyl is plastic.

What is the difference between your cut material and others' cut material?

TheMagicTouch USA cut material is polyethylene and was formulated for use on textiles. It comes in a wide variety of colors and fashion designs. It will not crack or fade. It stretches and can be dry-cleaned.

Magic Touch does not do a very good job of explaining and differentiating their products. They say "regular vinyl is plastic" . . as if "plastic" was a unique identifier. But to be fair, the poor and mis-used language is all over the place.

I would not have expected polyethylene to make a good material for transfers. I was thinking that maybe the 123Flex is polyethylene teraphthalate (PET) - similar to a polyester - but they say it stretches and PET doesn't stretch.

Their Premium Flex is indicated to be polyurethane which is a bit inconsistent with the above definition of "Flex".

Mike Null
02-03-2013, 2:50 PM
I can't add any technical detail but I have used the textile material from other suppliers and it is quite good and versatile. It is very thin, flexes and stretches but stays on like it was printed. I cut it with my Graphtec and am very pleased with the result.