PDA

View Full Version : Laser beam producing 2 spots

Walt Langhans
02-01-2013, 4:03 PM
Hey Guys,

So I'm trying to get my laser aligned for the first time, and it puts 2 beams / spots out on the tape it's like the laser beam is split. This is happening before it even hits the first mirror. Any idea what's up?

Thanks

walter hofmann
02-01-2013, 4:28 PM
Hi walt
that a sure sign that the beam hits the holder on a side what means you need to adjust ether the mirror holder ( 45 degree to the tub) or the tube itself
greetings
waltfl

Walt Langhans
02-01-2013, 5:19 PM
At the end of the tube and before the first mirror is the issue, are you saying that the ring around the end of the tube could be in the way?

Neal Schlee
02-01-2013, 6:27 PM
Hey Guys,

So I'm trying to get my laser aligned for the first time, and it puts 2 beams / spots out on the tape it's like the laser beam is split. This is happening before it even hits the first mirror. Any idea what's up?

Thanks

Generally when this occurs it's usually from a bad beam mode. If the laser has adjustable mirrors you may be able to get the beam back to one spot. If the mirrors are not adjustable you're pretty much stuck with it the way it is. You might also check your tube mounting system to make sure it is not affecting the beam alignment from clamping pressure. It does not take much pressure to alter the beam power and quality with a glass tube.

Walt Langhans
02-01-2013, 7:51 PM
Removed all the pressure of the tube, still doing the same thing :(

Walt Langhans
02-01-2013, 11:57 PM
Got hold of tech support (they where great), and it turned out that I had my power set to low to get a good beam, fixed that and everything is groovy :)

Funny how just a few threads ago that was a topic and I failed to put 2 and 2 together maybe I shouldn't have one of these ;)

walter hofmann
02-02-2013, 4:49 AM
Hi walt
very strange ! I never heart or experienced that if the power is set to low the beam comes out the tube splitted if the power is set to low there is no beam generated or verry light what mostly does not even make a mark at paper. I would be carefull if you under waranty because then it is something wrong with the tube allready could be that the internal mirror/lens adjustment is off what you can not fix on a glasstube. I had similar stuff where the beam came out not split but in a big oval what turned out to be the internal mirror/lens and finally the seller replaced the tube
greetings
waltfl

Frank barry
02-02-2013, 6:58 AM
Hi Walt I am glad you got it sorted I colud hear the sigh in Ireland
I am sure you are having a fun day
Frank

Walt Langhans
02-02-2013, 8:26 AM
If I just hit the pulse button quickly it wouldn't burn through the tape and we where getting 2 little pin holes, if I pressed the button for a second it would burn the tape through in a 3 - 4mm circle. With my limited experience and pictures that I've seen here on the creek, I started to think that the hole was too big, and it was possibly just those to points burning long enough to merge. But tech support said that size hole was ok for an 80 Watt tube. I'm going to double check the alignment, now that I've had some sleep lol, and start running some test cuts and see how things turn out, but I'm not expecting any problems.

Dan Hintz
02-02-2013, 8:58 AM
it would burn the tape through in a 3 - 4mm circle.
This is a perfectly acceptable beam size out of the tube.

walter hofmann
02-03-2013, 5:13 AM
hi walt
set your power settings very low and then do the test firing to get a more acurate result. like I said before there should only come one beam out of the tube no mattwer how long you hit the botton or how high the setting. the holw size ( or beam ) is perfectly right by a 80W you can get up to 6mm but it always should be only one circle
greetings
waltfl