PDA

View Full Version : Southwestern Design Hollow Form

Bill Bulloch
02-01-2013, 3:56 PM
The body of this segmented pieces is Cherry. The feature ring is made up from Mahogany, Holly. The three accent rings are 1/6 inch Aspen Veneer. The diameter is 9 1/2 inches and five inches tall with 324 pieces.

What ya think?

Chip Nasworthy
02-01-2013, 4:10 PM
Looks great bill,is this in your art studio ?

Roger Chandler
02-01-2013, 4:21 PM
I like this Bill! Nice feature ring! Question.....did you hollow it all through the hole or did you do it in halves? Seems to me that on a segmented piece, one could hollow up to the feature ring and then do the other half.......just wondering.......nice joints on the piece and pretty combo of woods........

I hope to get into segmenting in the not too far distant future, myself!

Bill Bulloch
02-01-2013, 5:15 PM
Looks great bill,is this in your art studio ?

Chip, It will be in about a week. The Lacquer finish needs to cure for a few more days before I can rub it out.

Roger: Yes, I turn the inside as I go, [one ring at a time] and glue it up in halves.

Thanks guys for the nice comments.

Russell Eaton
02-01-2013, 5:46 PM
Well done Bill. I am looking for the patience to do segmenting....still have not found it. Yours look great-

Allan Ferguson
02-01-2013, 6:13 PM
Really looks good. But, "what do you put in it"? Ha!

Michelle Rich
02-02-2013, 6:21 AM
Well, I think, it's quite an achievement. Your featureband is well done & pleasing. Your color choices are very nice, and I think I like the shape, tho it's a bit hard to see in the pictures. Overall, I give it a very good grade. Glad you keep at it, Bill. They get better on each attempt.

Richard Jones
02-02-2013, 7:25 AM
Bill,

Overall, I like this piece, as SW forms are very interesting to me. I wonder what this would look like with a somewhat shorter rim, but that may be the camera angle. I would suggest trying various light set ups in your tent to reduce the shadow effect that I'm seeing. One thing I might try is a softer finish, which would be more indicative of a Native American piece........keep in mind that I am not a gloss guy, I like soft...........

Thanks for sharing.

Bill Bulloch
02-02-2013, 8:43 AM
Bill,

Overall, I like this piece, as SW forms are very interesting to me. I wonder what this would look like with a somewhat shorter rim, but that may be the camera angle. I would suggest trying various light set ups in your tent to reduce the shadow effect that I'm seeing. One thing I might try is a softer finish, which would be more indicative of a Native American piece........keep in mind that I am not a gloss guy, I like soft...........

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for the comments Richard. This shape came from a book on South American Pottery that I have. The rib is about 5/16 inches tall and I made a special effort to capture it. There are several pictures of pottery with a tall rims in book. One, I copied a while back, was about 9 inches tall with a rim of about 3/4 inches. I don't know the purpose of the rim, but perhaps these were used as water jugs. As for the photography, I have given up on ever getting better at that. Nothing I do seems to work. I guess I'll never get better at that without investing in special training and equipment. And, this is something I don't want to do [too many hobbies already], so I'll just have to get by with pointing my $89.00 Olympus and clicking.

Steve Doerr
02-02-2013, 10:09 AM
Bill, I like your shape and choice of woods. I think, boy I should try segmenting, then I remember how many piece and all of the cutting and decide, naa, I'll just stay with solid wood. I too struggle with the shadow hallo effect with pictures and I've got a fancy Cannon that I use. Such is life. Too many toys and not enough time to learn how to use them all effectively.
Steve