PDA

View Full Version : Tool Auction AAR

Fred Moody
05-02-2005, 2:33 PM
I am new to the woodworking world and am trying to build up my hand tools and augment some that I inherited. So I drove up to this auction in <st1:state w:st="on"><st1 ="">Iowa</st1></st1:state> this weekend that had a ridiculous number of antique tools and purchased a few things for my self;). What was great was being able to hold many tools I had only seen pictures of and read about here are a few of the things that surprised a beginning woodworker like me.

<o =""></o>

-I was surprised by how small a #40 scrub plane was. I really expected it to be wider or more robust.

-A #3 is a really small plane I was not able to get three fingers on the tote comfortably (I am a big guy but not that big)

-Antique axes can be expensive. (over 150)

-unusual plumb bob’s can be expensive as well (one went for 250 dollars)

<o =""></o>

All in all I thought it was a great experience to see and touch all of the tools there. I just wish I had more money because the prices where pretty good.

Jim Reed
05-02-2005, 3:34 PM
When you are planing a rough piece of cherry with a #40 and sweat is running down into your eyes, you will wonder why in the world Stanley made those planes so WIDE!