PDA

View Full Version : New Bowl

Thomas Heck
02-01-2013, 12:07 PM
This was part of a knot, I think it was a burl, but might have been a grown over limb, not for sure. I got it from a logger this summer. Seems he told me it was a type of oak. I had it cut sort of square with a chain saw and it took over an hour to get it round. It was the hardest thing I’ve ever turned. Any clues to if it is a burl and what type? It is 6 1/2 across the top and about 4 high. I slung it out of cole jaws while working on the bottom. It hit the lathe hard, then the floor and barely made a dent near the top. So, I had to rechuck it and change the top slightly.

Roger Chandler
02-01-2013, 12:16 PM
It is oak....what kind I am not certain, perhaps red oak. It does have some burl figure in it.......sometimes a grown over limb will have some burl figure, but is not the same as a full burl knot ......that is a pretty nice form. I see you left the walls a bit heavy, looks good as you have rounded over the rim area some and it looks nice.....should be a useful utilitarian bowl with some pretty figure.

Glad you were not injured when it came out of the cole jaws........been there, done that one! I now use a vacuum chuck with tailstock support as long as I can before turning away the last bit of nib that is left on the center.

Nice work, Thomas!

Thomas Heck
02-01-2013, 12:46 PM
Thanks Roger. I was blessed and have been several times in the last year since I've been turning. I would have liked for it to been more round and curved, but there was some splitting and I had to get all of that out and this is what I ended up with. I have been looking at vacuum systems and also the holdfast system. It seems simplier, since I've never built a vacuum system. Just not sure which route to go right now. Which kind do you have? This was the 1st bowl that I have lost on the cole jaws, I think it was in part to the rounded edge at the top. Thanks again, Thomas

Roger Chandler
02-01-2013, 1:33 PM
I have the Holdfast, and it does a decent job......a good way to go if you already have a compressor.

Thomas Heck
02-01-2013, 2:25 PM
I have a small sears compressor. It think it is a 3 gal. and goes up to 3 cfm at 40 psi. My buddy emailed me and thinks it is chestnut oak burl. Did you make your own chucks or buy one from them.

Roger Chandler
02-01-2013, 2:27 PM
I have a small sears compressor. It think it is a 3 gal. and goes up to 3 cfm at 40 psi. My buddy emailed me and thinks it is chestnut oak burl. Did you make your own chucks or buy one from them.

I have theirs and a couple os shop made ones .....sized between the two Holdfast sells.

Thomas Heck
02-01-2013, 2:43 PM
Thanks for the info. Roger