PDA

View Full Version : $700 for a 1 month old Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw 10-325. Good deal?

Doug Richardson
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
Opinions? Thoughts? :cool:

Cary Falk
02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
I would say no. Woodcraft has them on sale twice a year for $800 if I recall. Used is used and without warranty.

Danny Thompson
02-01-2013, 11:12 AM
Opinions? Thoughts? :cool:

Reasonable, not good. It has been a couple of years, but that is what I paid for a new one during a Woodcraft 10% off sale.

Richard Coers
02-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Sears has them for $902.49 and free pickup at the store. So if you need one now, $700 looks like a good price to me.

Doug Richardson
02-01-2013, 11:48 AM
I will also add that it was purchased December 31, and that it includes both the receipt and the unfilled out warranty card.....

Mike Heidrick
02-01-2013, 11:50 AM
I dont think $700 for ANY 14" bandsaw is good regardless if they are cheaper than woodcraft or sears. This is exactly the reasoning the WMH saws are over $1000 rolleyes.

Joe Angrisani
02-01-2013, 11:51 AM
$700 is too much. One month age is irrelevant. Used is used, as Cary said. I'd say more like $500 for a used saw that's regularly available new for $800.

Val Kosmider
02-01-2013, 12:08 PM
Not to hijack the original poster's question, but......

In my world, 'used is used'. When considering a price that is reasonable i think about 50% of original cost/replacement. Add 10% for 'good' condition, and likewise, deduct if it is a beater.

However, i notice that virtually everything in the classifieds here, which are generally high quality stuff in good condition, trades at about 75-80% (or more) of cost/replacement. That always strikes me as high, but apparently that is what the market commands. In a way I understand that these are generally strong, tough machines that last decades with proper care, and are generally not in poor condition and can be compared many times with almost new tools. But still....they are NOT new.

So, by those 'market' criteria, your band saw offer is not a complete bargain, but is close to reasonable and will likely trade close to the price--whether you buy it, or someone else takes it.

Either way, i don't think you are getting 'taken', nor are you 'stealing' it either.

Mike Cutler
02-01-2013, 12:26 PM
If the warranty remains intact, than you have a no lose situation,and you can always offer less.
As long as this is a saw that you have already considered you're fine. If you're just trying to buy a 14" bandsaw, regardless of manufacturer, than better deals can be had. It's up to you.
If you want to tilt the deal mentally more in your favor, also realize the tax burdern you aren't incurring. Depending on the state it could be substantial.

John Donofrio
02-01-2013, 1:15 PM
Same here. Got the saw new at Woodcraft for that price. 600 or maybe 650 and I'd begin to consider it.

Doug Richardson
02-01-2013, 1:29 PM
The saw was purchased by a local woodworker who has decided he just does not like the Rikon, and the store has a no-return policy for this brand. The cheapest price I can find for this saw is $800, plus a shipping fee which will be upwards of $100. If I purchase from a local storefront, the price will be more than $800, plus sales tax. In this case, I would go to their home, look at it and see it run. If I like it, hand him the $700, haul it out fully assembled to my van and take it to my shop.

While I understand the the used is used argument, I'd love to know which of you would purchase a new $30,000.00 automobile, and after putting 1000 miles on the odometer, would sell it for $15,000.00 with the full factory warranty.....

Cary Falk
02-01-2013, 2:02 PM
The saw was purchased by a local woodworker who has decided he just does not like the Rikon, and the store has a no-return policy for this brand. The cheapest price I can find for this saw is $800, plus a shipping fee which will be upwards of $100. If I purchase from a local storefront, the price will be more than $800, plus sales tax. In this case, I would go to their home, look at it and see it run. If I like it, hand him the $700, haul it out fully assembled to my van and take it to my shop.

While I understand the the used is used argument, I'd love to know which of you would purchase a new $30,000.00 automobile, and after putting 1000 miles on the odometer, would sell it for $15,000.00 with the full factory warranty.....

You asked for opinions. You got them and are now not liking them? If you think it is a good deal and the seller thinks it's a good then great hand over the $700 and enjoy your saw.

Harry Hagan
02-01-2013, 3:50 PM
$700 is too much. One month age is irrelevant. Used is used, as Cary said. I'd say more like $500 for a used saw that's regularly available new for $800.

A 5-year-old machine belonging to a hobbyist could have less wear and abuse.

Danny Thompson
02-01-2013, 4:11 PM
There are some really nice features in this machine (e.g., high resaw capacity standard; 110v) If the warranty is still valid, and taking Sales Tax into consideration, you come out a nice chunk ahead. If you like the looks of it, you should go for it. Will there be a better deal out there in the next few months? Probably. Are there better deals staring you in the face right now? I doubt it. Buy it; enjoy it; don't look back.

ken masoumi
02-01-2013, 4:30 PM
If the band saw is in perfect working condition,all the problem associated with assembly /defects are all ironed out,warranty is still intact,delivered to your door ,then I would buy it specially if this model is the one you have been interested in and wanted to buy it in the first place.
Now If it's not exactly what you are looking for and you have to convince yourself that it is a good deal ,then walk away.
At 10% discount I will not buy something if it's not what I'm looking for,just not enough incentive.

Joe Angrisani
02-01-2013, 5:37 PM
....While I understand the the used is used argument, I'd love to know which of you would purchase a new $30,000.00 automobile, and after putting 1000 miles on the odometer, would sell it for $15,000.00 with the full factory warranty.....

What's this have to do with anything? You asked about resale on a particular bandsaw, not resale trends in automobiles.

My "used is used" comment referred to the lack of warranty or Rikon backing on a second-owner saw. Feel free to talk yourself into it, but you asked, and $700 is too much for a 10-325 (and will continue to be too much regardless of how many times you ask).

Joe Angrisani
02-01-2013, 5:43 PM
Maybe this is better....

$700 for a 1 month old Rikon 14" Deluxe Bandsaw 10-325. Good deal?

Yes. It is a good deal. For the seller.

phil harold
02-01-2013, 11:50 PM
The real question is why the original owner was not satisfied with it?
and
will you be satisfied with it @ 700 bucks?

Michael Mayo
02-02-2013, 12:23 AM
If the band saw is in perfect working condition,all the problem associated with assembly /defects are all ironed out,warranty is still intact,delivered to your door ,then I would buy it specially if this model is the one you have been interested in and wanted to buy it in the first place.
Now If it's not exactly what you are looking for and you have to convince yourself that it is a good deal ,then walk away.
At 10% discount I will not buy something if it's not what I'm looking for,just not enough incentive.

Agree 100% the saw is basically brand new and hardly used I am sure. Show me someone who buy's something at retail and a month or two later is willing to sell it for 50% of what they paid??? Never gonna happen whether you think it should or not. Heck I see stuff all the time on CL that is years old and the asking price is well above the 50% threshold. I know it is asking price but you are not going to talk someone down that much if their asking price is 75-80% of retail. If it is what you were looking for than go look at it test it thoroughly and buy it. Take it home and be excited about your new saw and if course USE IT!

Denny Rice
02-02-2013, 5:39 AM
The real question is why the original owner was not satisfied with it?
and
will you be satisfied with it @ 700 bucks?

This is the perfect answer to your question. I also think 700.00 is to high. Haggle on the price of the saw with him if he wants to get rid of it he will take a loss on it. Start low and meet him somewhere your both comfortable. Just make sure its all he said it is, look it over good and find out how many hours the machine has on it.

Curt Harms
02-02-2013, 7:59 AM
I'd want to make sure the warranty coverage is still good for a second owner. A call to Rikon should answer that question. Otherwise, I have one and find it a good saw. Someone else may not. Any idea why the current owner is unhappy? If he was expecting MM16 or Laguna 14 SUV functionality, I'm sure he's disappointed. Nothing says you can't offer less and as others have said, no sales tax. Short of connecting a motor wired for 120 volts to 240 volts or similar, how much 'invisible' damage could someone do in a month? As far as a % of new price, I don't think anyone would expect to pay the same price for a 20 year old machine as they would for a 1 month old machine assuming same make & model.

Sam Murdoch
02-02-2013, 9:51 AM
Show up with $ 600.00 cash and bargain yourself a great deal.

Dan Hintz
02-02-2013, 10:02 AM
Show up with $ 600.00 cash and bargain yourself a great deal.

That's a sure way to be shown the door at my place. Anyone who pulls the ol' "I only brought $X with me" is either lying or had no intention of seeing if the item was truly worth what I was asking. Either way, I want nothing to do with them.

Mike Heidrick
02-02-2013, 10:07 AM
Note to self - negotiate with Dan before driving.

Ronald Blue
02-02-2013, 12:14 PM
I am with Phil. Why is he so unhappy with it? That is enough to scare me away. Especially at a near retail asking price. Assuming it was purchased at or through Woodcraft it can be returned although it might be a hassle and could inflict a restocking charge. Seems like there is more to this tale then meets the eye. That being said if your so inclined go have a look and hopefully try it out. If it's in a shop that shouldn't be a problem. See if it works like you want and expect it to. As to the warranty what if he registered online? Most can be done that way. It's your call and I wish you well. It may not be a bad deal if it's exactly what you want. However if you really want more saw then you will ultimately wish you had held out IMHO.

Matt Meiser
02-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Someone is likely to buy it at that price or close given the very limited use. If you want one, its a savings of at least $100 plus tax over what Woodcraft might put it on sale again again in the future but there's no guarantee of that. The tradeoff is losing warranty, but honestly, how often have you made a warranty claim on something? Its pretty rare except an occasional out of the box issue.

What it sold for a year or two ago is irrelevant to current value. There's a lot of good equipment out there that will easily sell for as much if not more than it sold for even a few years ago because there have been some hefty price increases. And apparently other machines who's value is being driven down by what's currently available from what I'm seeing. :(

As to the warranty, at best trying to make a claim would be dishonest.

RIKON Power Tools, Inc. (“Seller”) warrants to only the original retail consumer/purchaser of our products that each product be free from defects in materials and workmanship for a period of five (5) years from the date the product was purchased at retail. This warranty may not be transferred.

Cary Falk
02-02-2013, 12:37 PM
That's a sure way to be shown the door at my place. Anyone who pulls the ol' "I only brought $X with me" is either lying or had no intention of seeing if the item was truly worth what I was asking. Either way, I want nothing to do with them.

That makes me mad also. I have directed more than a couple people to the ATM before. I had one guy say to me that I should just give xyz to them because it looked like I could afford to.(he rolled up to the house in a fairly new F150)

Danny Thompson
02-02-2013, 7:16 PM
Someone is likely to buy it at that price or close given the very limited use. If you want one, its a savings of at least $100 plus tax over what Woodcraft might put it on sale again again in the future but there's no guarantee of that. The tradeoff is losing warranty, but honestly, how often have you made a warranty claim on something? Its pretty rare except an occasional out of the box issue.

What it sold for a year or two ago is irrelevant to current value. There's a lot of good equipment out there that will easily sell for as much if not more than it sold for even a few years ago because there have been some hefty price increases. And apparently other machines who's value is being driven down by what's currently available from what I'm seeing. :(

As to the warranty, at best trying to make a claim would be dishonest.

All good points, Matt.

Alan Melbourne
02-02-2013, 7:21 PM
i would be conserned about why the owner doesnt like it.
id go over there and talk it through and do lots of playing with it. change the blade, tension itdo all the cuts etc. then if its working great consider if it is worth having no warranty.

Doug Richardson
02-04-2013, 12:06 PM
You asked for opinions. You got them and are now not liking them? If you think it is a good deal and the seller thinks it's a good then great hand over the $700 and enjoy your saw.

It was not a matter of me not liking other's opinions. I was just tempting more debate. I ended up not purchasing the saw. I just did not have that "drive" that you get to take the plunge. However, someone else did last Saturday.....

Gus Dundon
02-04-2013, 2:55 PM
It's not a good deal. I suspect the owner is not satisfied with the band saw.

Paul Drake
02-05-2013, 11:56 PM
I'd want to make sure the warranty coverage is still good for a second owner. A call to Rikon should answer that question. Otherwise, I have one and find it a good saw. Someone else may not. Any idea why the current owner is unhappy? If he was expecting MM16 or Laguna 14 SUV functionality, I'm sure he's disappointed. Nothing says you can't offer less and as others have said, no sales tax. Short of connecting a motor wired for 120 volts to 240 volts or similar, how much 'invisible' damage could someone do in a month? As far as a % of new price, I don't think anyone would expect to pay the same price for a 20 year old machine as they would for a 1 month old machine assuming same make & model.

It can be wired either as 120V [default] or 240V (one of those things on my list of things to do).
Still, you're correct in that if someone used the wrong plug ends and didn't jumper it correctly, there could be damage.
I think that powering it up at the site might reveal that telltale bakelite stench that says "this one is done".

Paul Drake
02-06-2013, 12:03 AM
It's not a good deal. I suspect the owner is not satisfied with the band saw.

Considering that the 18" Rikon with another HP was available on sale for less than $1000 from Woodcraft during that promotion ... I have no idea as to what you might be talking about having to settle for only 1.5 HP when resawing.
Still, the GoggleWorks has a 14" Rikon for small stuff and a 20"(?) Powermatic when its time to make some time. One might find room in a shop for both.
I'd hate to have to start the resawing operation at the table saw, taking the hit of a TK blade and losing sight of the blade location in the board due to starting the resaw on the table saw, but its an option.