PDA

View Full Version : Bench Grinder Recommendations

Douglas Robinson
05-02-2005, 12:56 PM
I was wondering if you had recommendations for a bench grinder for sharpening turning tools. I have heard that the Wolerine system is noce but what would you recommend for the grinder and with what wheels?

Andy London
05-02-2005, 1:11 PM
I picked one up from Woodcraft, 8" slow speed. I forget the cost but it was a lot better than I can do where I live. It came with white wheels which were good but soft, I replaced them with the Oneway wheels and they are great, also have the Wolverine system with the Vari grind attachment....works like a dream.

Andy

Carl Eyman
05-02-2005, 1:16 PM
Is the low speed (1725) job from Woodctraft @ $95. You may hear they vibrate - mine doesn't. You may read that the 3400 rpm is less likely to burn - a concept I've never understood. You may hear the tool rest is NG - buy the wolverine. The wheels that come with it are good; so it becomes a very economical choice. IMHO, that is.

Robert Cox
05-02-2005, 1:20 PM
I like my woodcraft jobbie.

Made my own Wolverine type jig for it.

Don't forget the diamond wheel dresser, on sale right now, you're gonna need it.

Chris Lee
05-02-2005, 1:20 PM
Doug,

The Woodcraft slow speed is a great grinder for the money and the white wheels are great. I would recomend you get some type of jig for sharpening. The Wolverine as mentioned is great and is probably the most popular, but there are others if you look around.

Good Luck,

Chris

Kurt Aebi
05-02-2005, 2:29 PM
8" 1725 RPM (or 2-Speed), white, pink or blue wheels 40-60 grit on one side 80-120 on the other. (If you buy a Wal-mart special - the gray wheels will be too coarse no matter what the grit for your purposes. They fill up with the metal you are removing way too much to be effective. You'll have to replace them fir your HSS chisels - they can still be used for your lawn mower blades, etc. I keep one on one side for big time material removal and use a white 120 for my gouges final grind.)
Wolvering (store-bought, home-made, whichever).

Then: Practice, Practice, Practice and don't be afraid to experiment with different grind profiles and styles until you find what is right for you!

Good Luck - everyone above have good advice - listen to them as they are the word of experience!

Matt Meiser
05-02-2005, 2:38 PM
Another vote for the Woodcraft. I had a 6" high speed one for several years, then got the Woodcraft. What a difference. I rarely turn and with this grinder and the Wolverine jig, I can get a usable cut.

Woodcraft puts the grinder on sale for $75 frequently.

Carole Valentine
05-02-2005, 2:46 PM
Woodcraft slow speed and Wolverine w/ Varigrind here. After truing the wheels on that grinder, mine passed the nickle test. Best bang for the buck IMHO. Seems to me in the Woodcraft flyer I got last week, they are on sale for $75.

John Shuk
05-02-2005, 4:19 PM
Woodcraft has their's on sale through May 31 it is item# 144290 reg. price is $94.99 on sale for $75.99. I have no affiliation I just have the Woodcraft flyer in front of me. By all accounts it is a good deal since it includes the white wheels in the price. It is also a slow speed grinder which seems like a good thing to me even though I have a high speed Delta.
John

Jim Becker
05-02-2005, 6:27 PM
In case you're wondering about the overwhelming recommendation for the Woodcraft setup, it's largely because you get both the grinder and the friable white AO wheels for that very attractive price. Most grinders come with the non-friable grey wheels which are fine for the lawn mower blade and hedge shears, but totally inappropriate and unworkable for sharpening turning tools.

Can you guess what grinder I'm recommending?? ;)

Ken Garlock
05-02-2005, 8:07 PM
Either at the old Pond or over at WC I made the statement that an author I had read said to not use a 3400 RPM grinder, and that 1700 RPM was greatly prefered. That was a mistake :o

I was quickly taken to task by Forest Addy, a machinist by trade. He said that a 3400 RPM grinder gave excellent results, and that 1700 RPM was not at all required. His reason was that most people do not properly dress their grinding wheels, and clogged up wheel is what burns the tools. In his opinion a diamond dressing tool is a requirement for any tool grinder. When dressed the wheel RPM is of little consequence. He added that he has always used a 3400 RPM grinder at work, and will continue to do so. After reading Forest's comments I went over to MSC Supply and bought a 4 carat diamond dressing tool. :cool:

Addy protocol: I don't not yet own a dedicated tool grinder, just a 6" 3400 RPM Grizzly that has the original gray and white wheels. On sharpening, I only know what I read ;)

Mike Ramsey
05-02-2005, 9:05 PM
I like my woodcraft jobbie.

Made my own Wolverine type jig for it.

Don't forget the diamond wheel dresser, on sale right now, you're gonna need it.

Picked up the WC slow speed grinder onsale for $75 but still need the jigs.
Robert care to share the jig you built?

Carl Eyman
05-03-2005, 8:40 AM
Mike, if you can't find the plans elsewhere, send me a message and I'll look for them. I have had them and they must be still around.

keith zimmerman
05-03-2005, 4:03 PM
Douglas,
I use a regular speed 6" Delta grinder with the wolverine/varigrind. I have no problems with using a regular speed grinder with HSS tools, heat does not hurt them, and they are not on the grinder very long. I do have to much more diligent with carbon tools though, as it is quite easy to overheat them.

keithz

Scott Coffelt
05-03-2005, 4:40 PM
Woodcraft, and the flyer I got shows it on sale for $75. I have the wolverine set up and it works good on lathe tools.