PDA

View Full Version : Undermount drawer slide

Lee Schierer
02-01-2013, 9:48 AM
I want to add a drawer to a cabinet with adjustable shelves. Ideally I would like to either mount the slide on the top of an existing shelf or use the existing 1/4" shelf pin holes to mount the slides so the new drawer can go anywhere in the cabinet. The drawer will hold less than 50 pounds. The existing shelves are 3/4" think solid hardwood. Does such a drawer slide exist?

Also, the existing shelf clips are the 253117 1/4" pin angle type. Does anyone know a source for a plastic clip that will clip onto the shelf so that when the drawer extends the self won't tip?

Jeff Duncan
02-01-2013, 2:17 PM
I don't know about mounting the slides to a shelf as most are side mounted?

As for the plastic clips you won't need them if your using the pins you have pictured. See the hole on the bottom......that's for the screw to go into the shelf so it won't tip.....or move in any other way;)

good luck,
JeffD

Lee Schierer
02-01-2013, 3:25 PM
I don't know about mounting the slides to a shelf as most are side mounted?

As for the plastic clips you won't need them if your using the pins you have pictured. See the hole on the bottom......that's for the screw to go into the shelf so it won't tip.....or move in any other way;)

good luck,
JeffD

Yes, I know that the hole can be used for a screw, but in at least one location I won't be able to reach to put screws in the holes.

Nick Lazz
02-01-2013, 4:30 PM
The KV 8405? I thought you could use these slides in the horizontal / flat position and which could be used on top of a shelf. Weight is a limiting factor but I think they are rated for about 50lbs in that position.
I can't find any literature but I know I have seen it. If I find it I will post.

As for clips...why not use the same kind you have above the shelf? They would be easily removable and prevent the drawer from tipping. Just set them up as above so the bottom of the clip is resting on top of the shelf. Obviously you would have to drill some more holes...but how often are you really going to move the shelves?

Nick

Kesh Ikuma
02-01-2013, 5:20 PM
I've been looking for undermount sliders, too. I think "center mount drawer slide" is what you are looking for. The one I saw at Woodcraft (Accuride 1029) has 35lb rating. So, if you use 2, you get your 50lb spec. If you look up WC site, it has the cross section of the slide and the ball bearings are mounted at an angle to make this unit usable horizontally (at least that's my educated guess)

Sam Murdoch
02-01-2013, 5:32 PM
I've done exactly what you are proposing to do - setting a drawer on an adjustable shelf. I used the Blum Tandems with their universal bracket kit -

Here is one source but I get mine through my Blum dealer. This is just a google with the correct photo and description -http://www.drawer.com/market/hardware/drawer-slides/undermount/blum/mounting-brackets/universal-bracket-kit

I then used the kind of shelf pin you show and did screw the shelf pin to the shelf for obvious reasons.

Sam Murdoch
02-01-2013, 11:01 PM
Look what I found in my design folder - this from August, 2000 :D I used a different shelf pin after all, but you get the idea. This was before I was introduced to Sketch Up. The 2" distance from the side wall is top make certain the pullout clears the doors.