PDA

View Full Version : Lathe lighting

Mike Cruz
01-31-2013, 10:45 PM
In light (no pun intended) of a recent thread addressing the ever important lighting obsticle that we turners have to overcome, I'd like to pose a plea to everyone to post pics of their lighting setups. It started already on the other thread, but that thread was a developing thead about lights. I think it ran its course, and developed into what I'd like to see...a thread about how YOU LIGHT YOUR LATHE...whereas the ideas might get lost in the other thread.

Noah, this is no slight to you or your thread. I was watching it very closely as I am very interested in the subject right now. Pics of people's setups is how I learn what might work for me, and how I can learn to adapt those set ups for my circumstances.

So, have at it ya'll...post some pics....please!

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Thanks Mike. I was wondering about the same thing.

Roger Chandler
01-31-2013, 11:33 PM
Mike.....it is 11:30 pm.......pics will have to wait until tomorrow.........I think my setup is pretty good for both lathes!

John Spitters
02-01-2013, 12:39 AM
I have a lighted magnifier lens that I can swing overtop when I am turning smaller items such as finials, then for bowls I also have a lamp with a 100w bulb that I can swing in place for more concentrated spot lighting. Mounted to the ceiling above the lathe I have 2 double 4' florescent fixtures, plus another single 100 watt florescent bulb.
Not the best picture but you get the idea.

John

Mike Cruz
02-01-2013, 8:37 AM
Great John, thanks. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to see some more up close pics to see how you have them mounted. That seems to be the trick...

Doug W Swanson
02-01-2013, 9:10 AM

Here's the light I have mounted by my lathe. I picked it up on craigslist for $40....

Prashun Patel
02-01-2013, 9:54 AM
Mine's the same (not as pretty) as Doug's. We call those things Nerd lamps. Mine was $20 on AMZN. One bit of advice: Like Doug's, get one without a rim in the inside. Mine has a rim and it's forever catching shavings and dust.

Justin Stephen
02-01-2013, 10:12 AM
Mine's the same (not as pretty) as Doug's. We call those things Nerd lamps. Mine was $20 on AMZN. One bit of advice: Like Doug's, get one without a rim in the inside. Mine has a rim and it's forever catching shavings and dust.

Prashun, can you provide a link to this light or something like it on the site? I'm not finding it. Thanks!

Greg Ketell
02-01-2013, 10:35 AM
Just for you, Mike... Here is my post from the other thread.

It turns out that the garage door track had a piece of angle attached as a "stiffener". I mounted a 4' track-light rail to that using two 1" PVC couplers as spacers. The kit from Lowe's came with 3 GU11 Halogen mini-spots. I added the white flex spot from another set of lights I had. It has a GU11 5w LED bulb that is far brighter than the Halogen bulbs.

Then on the tailstock is a Rockler magnetic lamp with a costco PAR30 75w LED spot light.

Lastly, there is a Rockler 7-LED flex light clamped to the cage. This is almost useless.

Ok, this is the setup with everything off, just a little natural daylight coming through the windows in the garage door.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=252944&d=1359648253

This is with just the Rockler mag-base lamp turned on.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=252945&d=1359648254

This is with just the track light turned on.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=252946&d=1359648254

This is with both turned on.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=252947&d=1359648254

NOW I'll be able to really see what I'm turning when I get to turn again.

Roger Chandler
02-01-2013, 10:41 AM
Mike.......you have been in my shop. Overhead my big lathe I have 4 ft. shop light with daylight florescent tubes, and a swing lamp with spiral daylight florescent light in it [similar to John Spitters lamp in above pic] For my midi Delta 46-460 I have a lighted magnifying lamp that will swing over the entire length of the lathe........my two lathes are positioned close together, so I get the benefit of the overhead florescent tubes.

I can see well and adjust for hollowing and such. Pretty basic, but effective!

Greg Ketell
02-01-2013, 10:42 AM
I'm guessing he means something like this:http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-G2540-B-Swing-Lamp-Black/dp/B001DNFLYS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1359732995&sr=8-5&keywords=adjustable+arm+lights $15-$25

The one Doug shows is most similar to the "Double Strut Adjustable Arm LED Light" on Amazon: $279. http://www.amazon.com/Vestil-Double-Strut-Adjustable-Loading/dp/B005JC5CDY/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1359733248&sr=8-42&keywords=adjustable+arm+lights

Prashun, can you provide a link to this light or something like it on the site? I'm not finding it. Thanks!

Justin Stephen
02-01-2013, 10:59 AM
I'm guessing he means something like this:http://www.amazon.com/Alvin-G2540-B-Swing-Lamp-Black/dp/B001DNFLYS/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1359732995&sr=8-5&keywords=adjustable+arm+lights $15-$25

The one Doug shows is most similar to the "Double Strut Adjustable Arm LED Light" on Amazon: $279. http://www.amazon.com/Vestil-Double-Strut-Adjustable-Loading/dp/B005JC5CDY/ref=sr_1_42?ie=UTF8&qid=1359733248&sr=8-42&keywords=adjustable+arm+lights

Thanks, you reminded me to check Northern. I found something much closer to Doug's (and much cheaper at $49.99) on their site:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331279_200331279

It's called a "loading dock light". Judging from how much these Fostoria lights cost elsewhere, this looks to be a good price.

Mike Cruz
02-01-2013, 3:11 PM
I LOVE where this thread is going! Thanks for all the pics and links so far. And keep them coming! I'm getting great ideas...

Justin Stephen
02-01-2013, 3:37 PM
Here's a link to Fostoria's lighting catalog. They sell some pretty cool stuff, including lights that look very much like the Moffat magnetic-base lights:

http://www.fostoriaindustries.com/FlipBooks/TaskLights/Lights/index.html

The stuff isn't super cheap though. However, this one strikes my interest for sure:

http://www.heater-store.com/incandescent_loading_dock_light_tpi_13091_prd1.htm

Full 60" from the wall with horizontal and vertical adjustment. The one that Northern sells looks like it is only 18" or 24", which is way too short for most lathe uses if it is connected to a nearby wall.

There is another company called Vestil that appears to make similar lights for similar prices, but theirs do not appear to have vertical adjustment.

Noah Barfield
02-01-2013, 5:29 PM
Thanks, you reminded me to check Northern. I found something much closer to Doug's (and much cheaper at $49.99) on their site:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200331279_200331279

It's called a "loading dock light". Judging from how much these Fostoria lights cost elsewhere, this looks to be a good price.

The Docking Arm is not included. Add the price of the docking arm and it's comparable.

Noah Barfield
02-01-2013, 5:40 PM
Keep those pictures coming! As a person who's still setting up his shop, I appreciate being able to see what others have done to light their work areas.

Noah

Sean Hughto
02-01-2013, 6:29 PM
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5092/5490692064_c37c2c358c_z.jpg

This is a bit dated. I have a dust collection set-up now on the back wall, but this shows the lighting at least.

John Aspinall
02-01-2013, 6:32 PM
An old Luxo desk lamp, with a piece of 2x4 replacing the original clamp-on pivot socket. Adjustable in both height and distance from the wall, although you've got to have the pivot fairly far from the wall so the "elbow" joint doesn't hit the wall. Plus: offers a place to hang a few things that you only use at the headstock (like chuck wrenches and the knockout rod). Minus: more surfaces to collect dust.

- John

Mike Cruz
02-01-2013, 6:36 PM
Justin, I was thinking about the Northern one, and attaching it to my tailstock with rare earth magnets. Then the 18-24" reach shouldn't be a problem since I can move my tailstock closer in than a wall. But good point about 60" reach being much better. Just can't flip the bills on the 60" one.

John Spitters
02-01-2013, 6:56 PM
Mike
Check out the rehab stores, or second hand stores.
I've picked up all of my lamps at these places ( other than the magnifier one) and I believe the most I've paid for any of them was $5

john

Greg Ketell
02-01-2013, 6:58 PM
Wow! If you ask me that is false advertising: show a picture of a light and arm and then, as the last bullet in the description, say arm not included. $50 for a lampshade and socket. What a rip off!

The Docking Arm is not included. Add the price of the docking arm and it's comparable.

Jamie Donaldson
02-01-2013, 7:33 PM
Good task lighting is a requirement that not all turners fully appreciate, but as we get older it become more and more important. I have articulated lamps at every work area in my shop, and overhead fluorescent fixtures with daylight corrected tubes for general illumination.

Fred Belknap
02-01-2013, 7:57 PM
Mike here is a pic of my lighting, it is the dock light. I think I got it from Northern Tools. The one on top of the lathe has a magnetic base that actually stays where you put it, got it at Woodcraft.

Dick Mahany
02-01-2013, 8:34 PM
My shameless copy of a great idea that I first saw here on the Creek and over at the AAW. Covers the entire length of the bed and moves with headstock. (With the right bulbs, I can work on my tan while turning :D)

Mike Cruz
02-01-2013, 10:35 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, John. What do you mean by rehab/second hand stores? I'm guessing Salvation Army for second hand? What rehab stores are there?

Mike Cruz
02-01-2013, 10:38 PM
I like it, Dick. Looks like if you are going to "build it yourself", square tubing is the way to go. I did something like this with 1" EMT (I think that is what it is called) tubing. No matter how hard I clamped down on the knobs, it just wouldn't hold in the long run...

Jerry Marcantel
02-02-2013, 8:13 AM
I like it, Dick. Looks like if you are going to "build it yourself", square tubing is the way to go. I did something like this with 1" EMT (I think that is what it is called) tubing. No matter how hard I clamped down on the knobs, it just wouldn't hold in the long run...

Mike, anytime you start clamping any thing hollow, like your emt, it actually squeezes' the metal, and you lose the torque you had. Whenever possible, cut round tubing the length of the OD of your round stock, or the length or the square tubing, drill holes in said materials, slip round tbubing into drilled holes, put your bolts in and you won't lost the torque you started with. Welding the tubing to the material your using would be much better........

Now to Lathe lighting. Mine is solar powered. It's near the south end of my patio roof and I get all the light needed, except anytime after 2pm in the summer... After that time in the summer, it's too hot to work outdoors anyway. No work done at night because as soon as the sun goes down, the bugs come out in swarms and hang out at the lights if I had them........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Jerry Marcantel
02-02-2013, 9:56 AM
Mike, small update here. I had a brain fart earlier, and should have realized, we are all wood workers, be it round or square. Just take your EMT, measure the ID, and turn some round stock that fits. Put the wood inside, drill a hole through the wood, and your metal won't collapse like it's been doing.... Just a thought....... Jerry

Dick Mahany
02-02-2013, 10:23 AM

I used thin wall square tubing with a large diameter nylon washer in between the sections. The large surface area on the flat tubing provides excellent holding. A nut is tacked to one of the tubes and the knob allows the arms to be tightened up without deforming the tubing so that there is no sag when extended. I made a similar one that holds a dust collection hood for sanding. Not my idea, but it works very well.

John Spitters
02-02-2013, 12:02 PM
Most any place that will sell used items,
Salvation Army is a good one, in fact that's where I picked up most of mine as they are located very close to my home.

Mike Cruz
02-02-2013, 12:51 PM
Thanks, Dick and Jerry!

Richard Jones
02-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Mike,

Didn't know if you remembered this one or not. 2 Moffatt lights on fiberglass angle, attached to the headstock. Had this like this for about a month (?) and I am liking it.

Tom Hartranft
02-02-2013, 1:16 PM
I use a hanging light fixture of two 300W each Halogen light tubes. Here is a pic with them 'on'. Also give out some heat ... nice in winter; not so much in summer. I also have two of these Halogen fixtures above my 6' long workbench for task lighting and one above my bench grinder. They flood the working area with uniform lighting.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/tjh_020/Lathe%20Lights/IMG_2027480x640_zps5f29d133.jpg

Here is a pic with them 'off'. There is also a hanging fixture of two T8 bulbs right above and in front of the Halogen fixture that I use as part of my general shop lighting. Only turn on the Halogens for lathe work; adjustable height using fixture chains attached to ceiling joists.

http://i482.photobucket.com/albums/rr183/tjh_020/Lathe%20Lights/IMG_2026480x640_zps75916e05.jpg

Mike Cruz
02-02-2013, 2:42 PM
Thanks, Richard, no I hadn't. I've seen so many!!!!! Hehe, the more of these I see, the more ideas I get and am incorporating into what I'll be doing. I think I'm leaning to moffets and flex neck LEDs on magnet bases (rare earth where needed) that I can attach to my headstock, the bed, and my tailstock. That way, nothing is perminent. They can all be moved around as needed. Or if they are in the way, I can remove them.

Robert Henrickson
02-02-2013, 7:20 PM
Sorry for my ignorance, John. What do you mean by rehab/second hand stores? I'm guessing Salvation Army for second hand? What rehab stores are there?

Perhaps like locally "Lexington Habitat for Humanity ReStore" which handles materials removed during renovations etc.

Bernie Weishapl
02-02-2013, 11:29 PM
Has anyone used either of these on Cindy Drozda's site? Just curious. Had one comment in a PM on another site that said they were just great and worked well.

http://www.cindydrozda.com/Assets/images/products/LEDwhiteOn.jpg

http://www.cindydrozda.com/Assets/images/products/LEDblackOn.jpg

Mike Cruz
02-02-2013, 11:58 PM
Man, those look perfect, Bernie! Any idea the manufacturer, where to get them, or price? Small footprint magnetic base...check. LED...check. Long flexible gooseneck...check. PERFECT!

Glen Blanchard
02-03-2013, 12:08 AM
Man, those look perfect, Bernie! Any idea the manufacturer, where to get them, or price? Small footprint magnetic base...check. LED...check. Long flexible gooseneck...check. PERFECT!

Mike, Ikea sells these (less the magnetic base, but that's easy to alter) for $10 each!!!! I bought 3.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

Mike Cruz
02-03-2013, 1:12 PM
Yes, Glen. I have one of those that a friend gave me. I'd like to find the ones with the magnetic base because, well, A) I won't have to add magnets, B) They don't sell them online, and C) The closest IKEA to me is over an hour away... But thanks!

Rodney Hoyle
02-04-2013, 9:43 AM
Here is my setup. 16 LED unit from walmart with a filament bulb and without the filament unit. I will replace the filament unit with another LED unit. I like the white light from the LED's and I understand that filament bulbs will cease to be manufactured in 2013 or 2014. Led's are the way of the future. They are also cooler when working close to the unit. I can move the LED unit to my scroll saw when needed. The walmart units cost $20 ea.

Rodney253456253458

Bernie Weishapl
02-04-2013, 10:53 AM
Mike they are here http://www.cindydrozda.com/Assets/html/OrderOnline.html Look down toward the bottom of the page. Not sure who the manufacturer is. I am going to order one as a friend of mine told me they work slick. Also looking at her center points for the oneway live center.

Glenn I thought about those but they are not available on their website and we don't have a store even remotely close enough to go get them.

Mike Cruz
02-04-2013, 1:54 PM
Thanks, Bernie!

Tim Rinehart
02-04-2013, 2:20 PM
Mike, this is a terrible knockoff on what I think is a very nice lighting setup by Sanders. I think Oneway and some others may have his setup on their site.

The nice thing about it is that it does move with the headstock, is articulated and has a box for plugging in sanders and other accessories.

The lamp is a Moffatt lamp, I bought mine off online auction, but a new one can be had for good price at WTTool as "Cool Shade" lamp. Normal pricing is about $75 or so and higher everywhere else I checked recently. Vendors are awfully proud of these lights...:eek: they come in either 18 or 24" length. The beauty of these, is even with a 100 watt bulb, you won't burn your hands touching the shade due to the design using a heat sink in there. Given the more typical use of daytime CFLs, I think some of the 'need' for this sort of lamp is probably on the way out. ... substitute whatever works for you!

The rest of parts, if not obvious, are electrical conduit parts. If you want to know any other details on this, let me know.

Moses Weisberg
02-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Tim's setup beat me with his outlet, but mine is a similar concept.

I have a series of 1/2" holes drilled to let me move the lamps around, and a 1/2" hole drilled in the end so I can clamp the bar in a vice and use a lamp on my workbench.

Faust M. Ruggiero
02-05-2013, 9:03 AM
I have two Moffett lights fastened to the left "copy" bracket on my 3520. That works well because the lights move with the headstock. One has the conventional 2' stem but the other I special ordered from Moffett with a 3' flexible stem. Next Moffett light will also have a 3' stem. However, both lights are screwed to brackets. The magnetic base just didn't cut it for me.
faust

Doug Herzberg
02-05-2013, 12:05 PM
In addition to overhead florescent shop lights, I installed a fixture with two flood lamps pointed at the headstock and two gooseneck floor lamps, one with an incandescent bulb and one with an LED. The white LED lamp was from IKEA for about $15 and it's very nice. Since it's low voltage, the wires are very light gauge and I worry about them a bit. It has a very handy foot switch which, surprisingly, doesn't get lost in the shavings too often. Still, I wish I had more light. As I get older I seem to need more and more.

Mike Cruz
02-05-2013, 1:25 PM
Thanks, Doug for the pics. You must need all that light because of the dark glasses you are wearing! :)

BTW, did you post a thread about this turning room and wasn't there a discussion about having the lathe up against the big window like that? I assume it is tempered glass, but aren't you concerned about a nice big blank taking out that window if it flew off?

Tim Rinehart
02-05-2013, 3:24 PM

I have a series of 1/2" holes drilled to let me move the lamps around, and a 1/2" hole drilled in the end so I can clamp the bar in a vice and use a lamp on my workbench.

Yea, but I recognized those Ikea lamps and you have beat me hands down in the cost category! I have one of those on my midi!

Noah Barfield
02-05-2013, 4:10 PM

Moses,

That's a nice looking set up! Where did you get the metal bar? How did you go about drilling the holes in it? What size bar (and drill bits) did you use?

Thanks!

Noah

Doug Herzberg
02-05-2013, 5:14 PM
BTW, did you post a thread about this turning room and wasn't there a discussion about having the lathe up against the big window like that? I assume it is tempered glass, but aren't you concerned about a nice big blank taking out that window if it flew off?

You have a good memory. It's a work in progress.

It is tempered glass. I've bounced a small bowl off of it, but when I turn something bigger, I slide a sheet of drywall or plywood behind the lathe. The drywall gives me a white background the better to see the profile with. The bigger problems with the glass are the rooster tail of finishes that get sprayed on it and the winter sun in my eyes - they're south facing windows. The overhanging gable should keep out the summer sun and the glass is easily cleaned with a razor. As for the winter sun, I have my dark glasses if I can't block it with the sheet goods.

Bob Bergstrom
02-05-2013, 8:35 PM
253570Here is three bendable LED lights I have acquired and use regularly. The long red on is from Ikea. Cheap but over time the bendable part came lose from the base, super glued back in($10 plus $4 for the magnet). It also started to sag when used in a horizontal position . The middle one is from Target ($20) or can be found on line. It is the strongest of the three and and the bendable arm is the thickest, but it gives off a blueish light. The magnets are from a discarded hard drive.Very strong if the keepers are left in tack. The one on the left is Kohl's. Only available when they have back to school sale. It is brighter than the from one from Ikea and much more durable. It retails for $40, but was $20 on sale. I found another in the late fall on clearance for $8 plus another 15% off coupon. The Kohl's are very nice for looking inside of bowls for scratches. The earth magnets make all three much more versatile. Especially when I can choose between clip on or magnets.

Mike Cruz
02-05-2013, 10:08 PM
Thanks, Bob! That side by side comparison (with explanations!) is great and very helpful.

Rick Markham
02-05-2013, 10:13 PM
I will gladly post my lighting set up, just as soon as I get the shop finished... Anyone wanna come help hang 60' of 6" PVC this weekend, it will speed the picture process up significantly :rolleyes::D

Mike Cruz
02-05-2013, 10:26 PM
60', that's it! Amateur... :D Don't worry, Rick. It'll go faster than you think. I had mine up in a jiffy. Oh, wait, it took longer than that, and I had help...never mind. Good luck.

Hey, take the pics! We can look past the other stuff. We aren't judging your shop...just your lighting. And by the time you get your shop done (if it is anything like mine...and will NEVER be "done"), I'll be done with my lighting. So, hop to snap-snap (pun intended).

Fred Belknap
02-06-2013, 8:43 AM
Mike this looks like the cats meow in lathe lights http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/5/-/20/90/-/5708/KJR-Woodturners-Work-Lamp

Mike Cruz
02-06-2013, 10:46 AM
Fred, you are right, that IS the cat's meow. I was, however looking for the bee's knees. Bees are much more thrifty...:o

Honestly, that looks perfect. But I can't go dropping $70 per lamp right now...unfortunately.