PDA

View Full Version : A Little spalt and a lot of Fiddle

Bob Bergstrom
01-31-2013, 8:01 PM
Wood is fiddle maple from the Rocklar Store. About 9" in diameter and 2 1/2" deep. Rim is beaded (3/8" gouge and undercut using a 1/2" spindle gouge with 1" swept back wings. The wings allow a sweeping action under the rim and leave a very clean cut that requires little sanding. The bowl has two coats of Fordby's danish oil and two coats of lacquer. The bowl has a slight amount of spalt on the rim.

Harry Robinette
01-31-2013, 8:10 PM
Very nice Bob as all your work. That is also a very nice piece of wood .

Ted Calver
01-31-2013, 8:27 PM
That's some beautiful wood, Bob. Very nice work.

Joe Meirhaeghe
01-31-2013, 9:31 PM
Great find from Rockler Bob. Nice work on the turning & finishing as well.

Nate Davey
01-31-2013, 10:19 PM
Wow that is a great piece of wood. Great find. I love the undercut rim!

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Beautiful wood Bob and great work on it. Really nice piece.

John Spitters
01-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Great piece of wood and you've done it justice ! lovely lovely bowl.
Bob, you know that that wood was probably sourced just off my back door as a local company here "Bow River" supplies Rockler with most all of their figured Maple turning blanks.
John

Curt Fuller
01-31-2013, 10:32 PM
Holy Mackerel Bob! You come up with some of the prettiest bowl wood. And then you always make it look it's best. That's such a beautiful bowl!

Mike Cruz
01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Hooooooooooooo dogie, now that's some curl, baby! Gotta love that figure, and you did a splendid job on the turning.

Kathy Marshall
01-31-2013, 11:25 PM
Beautiful bowl Bob! That's some great looking wood and I really like the undercut rim.

Michelle Rich
02-01-2013, 6:53 AM
very nice fiddle, and I like you left it plain & no faddle!!! :-)

Steve Schlumpf
02-01-2013, 8:56 AM
That's a beauty Bob! Love all that curl!

Bob Bergstrom
02-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Great piece of wood and you've done it justice ! lovely lovely bowl.
Bob, you know that that wood was probably sourced just off my back door as a local company here "Bow River" supplies Rockler with most all of their figured Maple turning blanks.
John

I always wondered where it came from. I don't know why they cut them round. I would much prefer them square blanks. It seems like an extra effort that really isn't necessary. Probably Rockler's idea I would like to turn some square ones. It does turn very well.

Jim Burr
02-01-2013, 11:55 AM
Really simple with great wood...knocks the socks off!!

Greg McClurg
02-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Bob,

That is a gorgeous piece of wood, and outstanding job of turning. As a new turner can you share how you do the undercut rim?

Greg

Bob Bergstrom
02-01-2013, 12:38 PM
Undercutting the rim is having the rim hollow under the horizontal surface. It can be done with a number of tools. Hollowing tools, scrapers or a swept back blunt nose gouge. It is not easy with a gouge, but the swept back edge leaves a very clean cut. The blunt nose allow the turner to keep the handle close to horizontal and transition from the body of the bowl to the rim. It does require a light touch. The "blue orbit bowl" posted yesterday is undercut about 3/4"

Bob,

That is a gorgeous piece of wood, and outstanding job of turning. As a new turner can you share how you do the undercut rim?

Greg

Greg McClurg
02-01-2013, 12:55 PM
Undercutting the rim is having the rim hollow under the horizontal surface. It can be done with a number of tools. Hollowing tools, scrapers or a swept back blunt nose gouge. It is not easy with a gouge, but the swept back edge leaves a very clean cut. The blunt nose allow the turner to keep the handle close to horizontal and transition from the body of the bowl to the rim. It does require a light touch. The "blue orbit bowl" posted yesterday is undercut about 3/4"

Thanks Bob. I'm going to give it a try...have to learn sometime!

Mark Hubl
02-01-2013, 3:35 PM
Nice one Bob. I am a sucker for undercut rims, one of my favorite bowl forms. Well done.