PDA

View Full Version : Engraving on Cutting Boards Question

James & Zelma Litzmann
01-31-2013, 4:49 PM
Have any of you ever had any luck engraving on wooden cutting boards? I don't want to go too deep but I want the burnt look, any suggestions?

Mike Troncalli
01-31-2013, 5:07 PM
We engrave on several types of cutting boards. Maple, Bamboo, Walnut, Ash and more. The type of wood will determine most of your settings. Bamboo for example is very hard and we engrave 100% power at 25% speed where as maple is about 50% power and 100% speed. You are just going to have to make some test runs on scrap boards to find out what works best for your laser.

Joe Hillmann
01-31-2013, 5:12 PM
I have done some cutting boards I tell my customers the side with engraving is just decorative and the other side is the one they want to use for cutting.

The problem with cutting boards is if you engrave too deep they cant use that side as a cutting board but if you engrave it light enough they can use then the engraving will end up warn away or stained in a short time.

James & Zelma Litzmann
01-31-2013, 5:30 PM
Have either of you tried to engrave out of focus a little to get the more burnt look?

Mike Troncalli
01-31-2013, 5:49 PM
Have either of you tried to engrave out of focus a little to get the more burnt look?

I haven't. But then we tell our customers that these are "serving" boards not cutting boards. But hey, give it a try. Like I said before find some scrap if you can and try it out...

What part of Texas are you in?

Michael Hunter
01-31-2013, 6:08 PM
The boards (left-hand side of the picture) are just the edges. The rest of the board gets laminated between them.
(The full size board is too big to go edge-on into the laser).

I do these for a local traditional building company who give them as Christmas presents etc.
European oak, about 1.25" thick.

Joe Hillmann
01-31-2013, 6:09 PM
I have never tried to engrave anything out of focus, I like nice precession, sharp edges with no smoke damage. Some people like the "rustic" look but I don't, so I can't help you out on that.

My smaller cutting board I sell/give away as cutting boards/hot pads or pot holders.

James & Zelma Litzmann
02-01-2013, 7:15 AM
Hey thanks everyone, I tried one and now I have "one" to use as a test bunny. I used way too much power thinking more power, more color, not true, so I think I need to back the power way down and try again. Again, thank you for all your info . . . . now where did I put that cutting board . . .