PDA

View Full Version : Router Bits Individual vs Sets

Michael Moscicki
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
If my calculations are correct I'm looking at 38 mortises and tenons for a shoe shelf, so I don't want to be stingy.

I've looked at the 1/2 shank 15 piece MLCS bit set for $39.99 and 1/2 shank 7 piece Whiteside for $95.04 bit set. They do not have a spiral upcut bit nor any spiral bit for that matter. Should I buy the 15 piece MLCS set and the quality Whiteside spiral bit or just buy the quality Whiteside straight bit and Whiteside spiral bit?

1/2" Diameter x 1" Cutting Length, 2-5/8" Overall Length - Straight Cut Double Flute Bit - $14.17
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006MZ5AM/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2F8KAB7F15GZF

RU4700 SOLID CARBIDE 2 FLUTE UP-CUT STANDARD SPIRAL ROUTER BIT 1/4 DIA X 1" CL X 1/2" SHANK - $24.62
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0012JJZQS/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A2F8KAB7F15GZF

Mike Heidrick
01-31-2013, 1:04 PM
I own about 5 of the Whiteside RU4700s for my CNC - they are one of my favorite bits available. Order from Brian Gumper at Holbren - he gives a 10% discount to woodnet members (put woodnet 10 on the order). His email is sales at holbren dot com if you need to ask about them - tell him Mike Heidrick sent you. He is a great friend in the router bit supply world and my go to source.

Also I am not a fan of kits - buy the bits you need.

Myk Rian
01-31-2013, 2:27 PM
If all you need is a spiral up-cut, get 2 of them. I like the Freud bits.
The sets are nice to have, but will you be using all the bits?

Jeff Duncan
01-31-2013, 2:38 PM
I mostly agree with the others. I'm generally not a fan of buying extra tooling just to have on hand.....BUT, having a small selection of inexpensive router bits can be handy. Sooooo I'd probably get a basic set of bits and a couple of the specific bit you need and have at it;)

good luck,
JeffD

Jeff Monson
01-31-2013, 2:58 PM
The only kits I buy nowdays are bits of the same category, I needed a couple new roundover bits last week and found them much less in a kit. Each freud roundover was $38 to 45$ versus a 5 piece Freud roundover kit for 143.00. I chose the kit. I'm done buying the cheap muli-piece kit, the quality is just not there.

Harry Hagan
01-31-2013, 3:16 PM
I’d go with individual bits unless, as Jeff says, they’re cheaper in a kit. I’ve bought comprehensive kits and half of them still have the wax coating.

I like Whiteside for their quality and USA manufacturer. Eagle America is another Whiteside source. Some of their house-branded bits were also made by Whiteside a few years ago; I don’t know about that now.

I've had good luck with Freud blades but don’t have much experience with their router bits.

Jim O'Dell
01-31-2013, 3:28 PM
I agree with Jeff. If you are going to do dovetails on a certain jig or system, then the kit from what ever brand that is made for that unit would be a good idea. Also kits for rabbit, doors and maybe dado bits will make sense for some people. But as far as buying a 40 piece kit, you'd be wasting money on poorer quality bits ans most of them you would never use.
For my better bits, I've been using Infinity. For run of the mill stuff like shop cabinets that are basically utility grade, I have gotten the Woodcraft $5.00 bits in the past and have been happy with them. Haven't seen them on sale for that in a year or so though, and they were limited on profiles.
I would suggest finding what project you are going to be doing, and make a list of the tools you will need. We always need new tools. Oh, and you get quicker spousal approval, if needed or desired, when said project is one they wants. Jim.

Michael Moscicki
01-31-2013, 9:44 PM
Is the 1/2 diameter going to be big for mortiises since my stock is 1x2 maple? It's S4S, so that means it's not exactly 1x2.

glenn bradley
01-31-2013, 10:06 PM
Is the 1/2 diameter going to be big for mortiises since my stock is 1x2 maple? It's S4S, so that means it's not exactly 1x2.

I have a lot of router bits of several brands and all of them were bought for a purpose. Sets look pretty but, most bits go unused. Most of mine are Whiteside with Freud running a close second. The way I determine what bit makers I like is pretty basic; how often do I have to sharpen them. I have used up MLCS and Woodline bits while Freud and Whitesides with similar hours of use are yet to need a touch up. Lee Valley, Rockler and Woodcrafts are all about the same it seems; not low end but, not high end either.

With your mention of mortises and spirals, I assume you will be plunging them. With the jig I use, if I'm doing 1/4", I need the extra reach of the bits originally made for the Mortise Pal by Whiteside. These are model RU4700-3.5 indicating the 3 1/2" overall length. I have a few of these and have done 100's of mortises without issue.

As to mortise to stock size, there are different schools of though but I do the mortise about 1/3 of the stock width. If you 1-by material ends up at 3/4" by the time you have it ready to apply finish, I would say 1/2" mortise is too wide. Others will feel differently ;-)

Brian Kent
01-31-2013, 10:07 PM
I plan on 1/3 to 1/2 thickness so for 3/4" thick stock I would use 1/4 to 3/8". And I love Whiteside bits.