PDA

View Full Version : Lee Valley Veritas Hinge Boring Jig

Julie Moriarty
01-31-2013, 12:40 PM
My old Amana 35mm bit was in need of replacement. I've always set up drilling European hinges on the drill press. It's a bit cumbersome but I've never had to do more than 8-10 doors for a project. With the new project it's 37 doors so I looked into buying a hinge boring jig. I decided on the Veritas ($159) and when it came I saw it had a green bit. Years ago I bought some green router bits from them and hated them. So I was worried. I drilled pine, red oak and mahogany. The pine clogged the bit so I moved to the oak. It cut better at first then started bogging down and shavings started sticking to the cutters. Same with the mahogany. I'd have to stand over it and push down to get it to finish the cut to depth.

I took out my old bit and it cut much better than the green Lee Valley bit. Then I tried a newer 1-3/8" Freud forstner bit and it cut all cleanly and effortlessly. The worst problem with the green bit is chip ejection but it's cuts are still inferior.

http://i867.photobucket.com/albums/ab233/jules42651/Woodworking/lv-freud_zps64931dd6.jpg

I contacted Lee Valley and they said they have had other complaints about the bit and would send me a new one that was tested before it left the warehouse. When it came I saw the case had been opened so figured they tested it. I went right to the mahogany and same thing. I will never buy another green anything from Lee Valley!

I'm returning the jig and bits and including the shavings from their bit and the Freud bit to show they the difference. I'm also including the mahogany block I used to test their new bit. Maybe someone there is a woodworker and he or she will see what I'm complaining about. Obviously the "tester" doesn't know.

Has anyone had similar experiences with green bits from Lee Valley?

Rich Engelhardt
01-31-2013, 4:18 PM
Wow!
That's horrible!
I bought a cheap cup hinge jig from Home Depot that came with a cheap junk 35mm bit for around $11.00 that worked worlds better than that.

Julie Moriarty
02-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Wow!
That's horrible!
I bought a cheap cup hinge jig from Home Depot that came with a cheap junk 35mm bit for around $11.00 that worked worlds better than that.

LV sells the bit alone for about $35. The Freud bit that I used costs under $15. LV makes some nice tools. Some I know say their planes are better than Lie Nielsen.

It's probably been 20 years since I bought green router bits from LV and they still haven't gotten it right. Yet they know there's a problem. :confused: