PDA

View Full Version : Maybe I could make a nice toothpick holder.

Brian Kent
01-31-2013, 12:18 PM
After doing my geometry to see that a 1/4" sguare tool bit needs a .3535" round hole to fit in, I went to the Enco site and went down their list of drill sizes and found the next incremental size larger than .3535" and ordered the bit.

So far so good.

Except for that darned decimal point. Instead of ordering a 9 mm bit (.354") I ordered a .9 mm bit (.0354"). I could barely see the thing in its plastic when it came.

So what can I make with a micro drill bit?

Toothpick holders?
Pinhole boxes to watch eclipses?

Kevin Bourque
01-31-2013, 12:22 PM
Dentistry?

Brian Kent
01-31-2013, 12:25 PM
That's what my wife said. Maybe I could drill out splinters.

ray hampton
01-31-2013, 12:26 PM
can you use the bit to clean the holes in salt and pepper shakers

Brian Kent
01-31-2013, 2:56 PM
good idea. I'll go measure a grain of salt.

Brian Kincaid
01-31-2013, 3:43 PM
Brian,
Thanks for the good laugh! You could use it to make thousands of holes in your workbench to lighten it up. Probably never even notice...

-Brian

Lee Schierer
01-31-2013, 5:44 PM
It is the perfect size to reopen the hole in super glue bottle after it clogs between uses.

Gary Herrmann
01-31-2013, 6:24 PM
Brian, make sure you pick up the Starrett grain caliper. Be sure you get the one for salt as pepper grains tend to be larger.

You should post a pic of that bit. I guess it's a bit bigger than a 1/32".

Gary who just broke another 1/16" bit recently.

James White
01-31-2013, 6:25 PM
What I would do is wait till you get a blood blister under your finger nail. Then use the drill bit between two fingers to drill a hole in your nail to relieve the pressure. The gratification is increased the more days you let it fester. If you get a good one. Watch where you aim the gusher!:D

James

Brian Kincaid
02-01-2013, 11:04 AM
What I would do is wait till you get a blood blister under your finger nail. Then use the drill bit between two fingers to drill a hole in your nail to relieve the pressure. The gratification is increased the more days you let it fester. If you get a good one. Watch where you aim the gusher!:D
James

Those things hurt so bad. Better put the drill bit in a flame before you try this, wouldn't want to make it worse with a nasty infection.
-Brian

Cary Falk
02-01-2013, 11:07 AM
Those things hurt so bad. Better put the drill bit in a flame before you try this, wouldn't want to make it worse with a nasty infection.
-Brian
When you heat up the bit it will just melt a hole in the fingernail. :D

I would save myself the trouble and break the bit now instead of in my nice project later.:eek:

Brian Kent
02-01-2013, 11:47 AM
Brian, make sure you pick up the Starrett grain caliper. Be sure you get the one for salt as pepper grains tend to be larger.
You should post a pic of that bit. I guess it's a bit bigger than a 1/32".
Gary who just broke another 1/16" bit recently.

I just happen to have a Grizzly grain caliper on my arm chair in case a need like this arises. I chose a larger grain of salt, since the hole cleaner has to make room for all grains and not just the lucky small ones. To my great delight it was .0304", where the bit is .0354". It looks like we have a winner. I can hardly wait until I get a wee little splinter to see if it is the right size for home splinter surgery.

Don Morris
02-01-2013, 1:16 PM
I was going to post I had one between my nose an chin, but decided not to post it.