PDA

View Full Version : Close call at the lathe

Doug W Swanson
01-31-2013, 11:50 AM
Hey all,

I guess it was my turn to have a close call at the lathe yesterday:eek:. It started with the making of some finials for a quilt rack for above our closet. I had glued up some 4/4 Red Oak to make three finials. One of which I had needed to split in half.

The block I was turning was about 4"x4"x7". I had split it down the middle and glued a piece of paper between them. Since I did not have a lot of wood to spare with the design I was using, I drilled a 2" recess (instead of using a tenon) for the jaws of my chuck. I figured this would be safe since I was using the the head stock as support until the very end. I had stopped the lathe to check for flat spots when I noticed the chuck was a little loose so I went ahead and tightened up the chuck. I was going to start turning again so I turned on the lathe when 'it' happened. The block of wood split into two pieces and one of them smacked me in the face:eek:. Fortunately the wood just bounced off my respirator and landed on the floor.

I was NOT wearing a face shield not because I don't have one (I actually have three) but because I have been wearing my respirator lately to protect my lungs. I feel pretty lucky considering the block of wood would have hit me in the cheek/nose area had I not been wearing my respirator.

If I had been wearing a face shield then it wouldn't have been a big deal but there are still some lessons learned: Use a tenon and don't use too much pressure on your chuck!

Roger Chandler
01-31-2013, 11:53 AM
Glad you are okay, Doug.........that was indeed a close call.......glad it did not hit you in the eye.......could have been very bad!

Brian Kent
01-31-2013, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the warning, Doug. Is that a powered respirator or something like a half-face. I have trouble using shop glasses with that respirator but it fits nicely under a face shield. I don't know what the difference is.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Doug - glad you are OK!

Glenn Barber
01-31-2013, 2:43 PM
Doug-Glad to hear you are only rattled and not injured! I have been interested in doing laminations involving paper joints down the road. I hope it is ok to ask this here Doug, not wanting to hijack/impede on your thread.

Quick question for those with experience: I am guessing that going in the expansion mode, the jaws acted similar to a wedge VS. the compression mode where they would have functioned more like a clamp????

Thanks,
Glenn

John Keeton
01-31-2013, 3:18 PM
Doug, really glad you were not injured, but just for future reference, aside from the glue up issue, the length was too much. From the Nova manual (probably the same for most brands) -

a. Expanding Dovetail Jaws
Using this method bowls of up to 310mm (12) in diameter by 100mm (4”) in depth can be turned.
THIS METHOD MUST NOT BE USED FOR ANY WORK LONGER THAN 100MM AS THERE WOULD BE GREAT DANGER OF WOOD TEARING OUT OF THE CHUCK. DO NOT EXCEED 684RPM IN THIS MODE. OUT OF BALANCE STOCK MUST BE TURNED AT THE LOWEST SPEED POSSIBLE.

Doug W Swanson
01-31-2013, 3:20 PM
Quick question for those with experience: I am guessing that going in the expansion mode, the jaws acted similar to a wedge VS. the compression mode where they would have functioned more like a clamp????

I know that certainly contributed. In fact, it probably was the problem. When I rerun the event through my mind, I do remember the part closest to the chuck coming at me first....

Brian, I use a 3M respirator with two replaceable canisters in the front. I'll definitely be looking into something better. In the mean time I will wear both the respirator and the shield....

charlie knighton
01-31-2013, 4:04 PM
glad you are able to tell us about this, Doug, happy turning

Reed Gray
01-31-2013, 4:38 PM
Never ever expand into any endgrain. You are pushing long fiber apart, very similar to taking an axe to the wood to split it. It doesn't matter if you are using a glue up, or a solid piece. Tenon only on any end grain.

robo hippy

Chris Studley
01-31-2013, 5:24 PM
Reed, Good point.

While obvious when you think about it, being comfortable and experianced can add a little danger from complacency.

Stay safe everyone...

Doug W Swanson
01-31-2013, 6:32 PM
Thanks for the comments. I normally try to do things by the book but I do think I was a little complacent yesterday. Thankfully I can (and will) learn from my mistake...

Harry Robinette
01-31-2013, 8:35 PM
Glad your ok Doug. Try the UVEX face shield it will fit with a respirator.

cal thelen
01-31-2013, 9:57 PM
glad you are okay.

Greg Just
01-31-2013, 10:00 PM
Glad to hear you are ok - Hopefully we all learn from the mistakes we make and operate safer in the future.

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2013, 10:33 PM
Glad you are ok Doug.

Kathy Marshall
01-31-2013, 11:27 PM
Glad you're ok Doug!

Reed Gray
02-01-2013, 12:05 AM
I probably should have added that I found/figured out that end grain will split by splitting a hollow form The lathe was off at the time. Lesson learned!

robo hippy