PDA

View Full Version : New to Sawmill Creek

Ted Thomas
01-31-2013, 11:41 AM
Hello all. Aiken S.C. here, LOML Martha ( 27 years ). I came across this site from Lumber Jocks, I retired from pro. woodworking about 3 years ago, mostly interior trim, stairs, cabinets. Had to give it up due to mr. author eating away at my hips. After 2 brand new hips I've been kinda rearranging my shop, downsizing, selling some of the production tools and setting up for smaller scale projects. For the past year, been interested in and building wooden gear clocks, enjoy the aspect of seeing the wood actually talk to you ( tic-toc ) and the slow movement of the clockworks. As with most other things, friends and family want one when they see them, as long as there free.These things can be rather costly to build, but if they really have to have one, they get one. OK, that's me. Have never done much turning at all, but always willing to take on new interest and learn something new, and have been looking at a Rikon 70-100 for starters to do pins and small bowls. Any info or advice on this lathe or other suggestions will be helpful. Also advice on tools and accessories. I know I'll be in and out of here from time to time with questions and seeking advice, always willing to do the same if needed. Maybe create some new friendships along the way. Thanks for allowing me to be part of your world. Ted

Doug W Swanson
01-31-2013, 11:52 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Ted!

This site is a great place to learn the ins and outs of spinny things!

Brian Kent
01-31-2013, 12:05 PM
Welcome Ted. We really love photos here. I know I and others would love to see a wooden clock that you made.

…and for relatives, I think it is fair game to say how much the materials cost and say "It's a labor of love, and replacement of materials really helps me make the next one." Then if they can't, then here - it's a gift.

Roger Chandler
01-31-2013, 12:09 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Ted! I have read about the little Rikon lathe.......fairly good reviews, but a bit underpowered. For smaller spindle work and small bowls, you should be fine with lighter cuts........trying not to hog off too much material in a pass, and the sharper your tools the better. I would also recommend that you check out two other midi lathes, if you have the budget for them..........they are better units........the Delta 46-460 and the Jet 12-20 vs......both are top of the line midi lathes........have good features and the Delta 46-460 has reversing, which helps with finish sanding.

Good luck!

Matt Mackinnon
01-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Welcome Ted,

I know that woodworking is one of those hobbies that offers a great reward to take something so common as a chunk of wood and be able to make it into a piece of wonder, (and a whole lot of shavings on the floor).

I started off with a midi lathe and found it very relaxing to turn chunks of wood down. Of tools that I think are a must to have. A good quality face shied is a given. I went one step up and got an Airshield so that I am not breathing in as much dust when turning and sanding. You need to have some way to sharpen your tools. Turning with sharp tool is bliss.. turning with dull simply leads to frustration. And you need some tools to cut with. A general rule of thumb is that more expensive tools will stay sharper longer, but that isn't always a given. But if you have a way to sharpen, does it really matter when you are starting??

Take a look on the pages here and I am sure that once you get a better idea as to what you are trying to turn then a better shopping list can be formed.

Matt.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-31-2013, 12:38 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ted!

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2013, 12:43 PM
Ted - Welcome to the Creek!

Best advice I can offer - especially if you are new to turning - is to get with your local turning club and learn a bit about turning before you start buying anything. Plus, turners are known to upgrade their lathes and you may be able to find a really good deal on a used lathe!

To find a club near you, click here: AAW (http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/LocalChapters.asp)

Allan Ferguson
01-31-2013, 1:00 PM
Welcome aboard, enjoy the voyage into new realms of wood working.

Jim Rimmer
01-31-2013, 1:06 PM
Welcome to the Creek. Looks like you've got some good responses to your lathe question already but you might want to put a post in the Turners' forum; some of those guys don't read all forums.
look forward to seeing some of your clocks.

Tim Rinehart
01-31-2013, 1:27 PM
Welcome Ted. Steve's suggestion on getting with a local club is a good one, especially if one is close by. Even if not close by, just getting in touch with those folks will be valuable to see if someone has a lathe they are selling or to offer some help getting started.

Steve Mawson
01-31-2013, 8:07 PM
Welcome Ted, have looked at those clocks but never made one. Lots of helpful folks here, just ask.

James Combs
01-31-2013, 8:15 PM
Welcome Ted, In the making of wooden clocks I am surprised that a lathe is not an essential. Perhaps you could give us the readers digest version of how it is done, especially how it is done without a lathe...

Timothy Mann
01-31-2013, 8:49 PM
Welcome Ted, I would also like to see some photos of the clocks you have made.

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2013, 10:35 PM
Welcome to SMC Ted. Jump right in.

Ted Calver
01-31-2013, 10:39 PM
Glad you found us Ted!

Kathy Marshall
01-31-2013, 11:20 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ted!
You've gotten lots of good advice so far, but I haven't seen any warnings about the vortex :eek:. Once you start turning, you'll be pulled in before you know it, but don't worry it's a great ride!

Sam Layton
01-31-2013, 11:21 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ted. It is a pleasure to meet you. I am another one that would like to see photo's of your clocks.

Sam

Denny Rice
01-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Welcome to the Creek Ted, you will find a lot of good guys (and ladies) here willing to share what they know. This has always been the first place I come for woodworking advice. Kathy is right about turning, once you start it almost becomes an addiction, and it will make your wallet a little lighter too! LOL

John Keeton
02-01-2013, 6:04 AM
Ted, welcome to the creek! As far as the Rikon 70-100, you may want to look at these threads -

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?33498-Anyone-seen-the-Rikon-70-100-Lathe

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?66663-Rikon-70-100-Lathe

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?84287-Rikon-Mini-Lathe

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?98828-Starter-Lathe-Questions

charlie knighton
02-01-2013, 7:47 AM
welcome to the creek, Ted, be sure to include dust protection

Peter Blair
02-01-2013, 9:06 AM
Welcome to the Creek and Vortex!

art pfenn
02-01-2013, 9:07 AM
Ted I am new to turning myself. I have been sucked into the vortex and can't get out. I started out with the Rikon 70-100 then moved up to the Delta 46-460 both are very good lathes. The Delta is suppose to be 1 hp but I can't really tell much difference between the two. The variable speed is nice but I'm not sure it is worth twice the price. My Rikon is about 6 months old and the Delta is 2 months old and they are both now up for sale. As I said the vortex has sucked me in. I'm now in the market for a Powermatic, Jet 1642EVS or a Grizzly G0733. I'm not sure if this is a record from going to a $400 dollar lathe to a $4000 dollar one but once you are sucked in there is no way out.

Justin Stephen
02-01-2013, 9:16 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Ted! I have read about the little Rikon lathe.......fairly good reviews, but a bit underpowered. For smaller spindle work and small bowls, you should be fine with lighter cuts........trying not to hog off too much material in a pass, and the sharper your tools the better. I would also recommend that you check out two other midi lathes, if you have the budget for them..........they are better units........the Delta 46-460 and the Jet 12-20 vs......both are top of the line midi lathes........have good features and the Delta 46-460 has reversing, which helps with finish sanding.

I can no longer recommend the Delta 46-460. It is a very good lathe but it has it's problems and there are virtually no spare parts available for it anymore and no one knows when new ones will come in. The "Delta" name has been recently re-sold so there is no firm date when new parts will be manufactured. Specifically, there is a common problem with the reverse switch (a $9 part) that, when it goes, basically makes the lathe an expensive paperweight. No one has this part. I received a PM from another user here just the other day about his, which is only 2 months old, going bad. Other users have had to have the circuit board replaced in theirs.

All of this would not be a big deal if the parts were available. Mine gave me more than two years of flawless service before it died, for example. But now I cannot get it fixed and it is languishing in a service center gathering dust.

Brian Brown
02-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Ted,

Welcome to the group. This is a great hobby, but more addicting that crack. The very first thing you should do is take out your wallet, open it up, and take a picture of the cash, because that is the last time you will ever see any money in there.

As for what supplies to get, you have received some good advice. What Steve said about joining a club is excellent advice. Like any other hobby, there are a million "Must haves" out there to buy, but only a few that are really necessary to begin. Obviously the lathe, safety equipment (full face and lungs), good basic tools (the list will vary depending on what you want to make), a good sharpening system, a few pieces of wood, and you are ready to go. Dust collection should be your next need, but it sounds like you may already have that. After that, there are a lot of specialty tools that look really good in the catalog, but are not life and death necessary. I consider a chuck, nearly life and death, but many say they would never waste the money. This is where a mentor, or a full club full of them is helpful. You can often use the tools, and get a feel for how necessary they are before you spend the money for them, and decide maybe they weren't as useful as you had hoped. Also, remember that everything you buy has to be stored somewhere. This is my problem. I have just run out of places to put everything. And the wood, don't get me started on the wood. "Hi, My name is Brian, and I am a woodaholic".

Dave Ogren
02-02-2013, 1:34 PM
Welcome to the Creek, Ted. Keep in mind this is very addictive. We have a great club here and meet once a month. We have a lot of members from your area. Good Luck and happy turning.