PDA

View Full Version : laser cutting fabric assistance requested

Stan Lightner
01-31-2013, 8:44 AM
I'm a manufacturing engineer for a uniform rental company that makes its own emblems for shop & man names. Currently we die cut the emblems after the name/logo is applied to the fabric, but we are exploring other technologies including laser.

I recently sent samples to a laser manufacturer for testing. Upon return the brown, black, blue, etc fabric was excellent. The edges were fused together (the fabric is laminated with 2 layers of polyester) but, the white fabric has unacceptable singeing around the edges. They used a 50 watt laser at 100% power and 300 ppi on a honeycomb board and the machine uses a down draft exhaust system. I know they have air assist available, but I'm not sure if they used it. Actually I doubt if they did as I do not think it would help in the cutting process.

So, does anyone have any recommendations as to settings, other laser makers, other cutting technologies? I just sent samples to the builder of a cutting table that uses a sonic knife with the hope it will perform better than the laser.

I've already rejected waterjet due to the high maintenance and consumable costs associated with the technology.

Currently we use forged dies, but have just received a steel rule die (AKA ribbon die) to test. The steel rule die is more accurate than the forged die, but does not have the lifespan of the forged die.

Thanks in advance

Stan

Dan Hintz
01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
You may need to switch to nitrogen assist rather than shop air to reduce burning at the cut lines...

Mike Null
01-31-2013, 10:34 AM
It's worth several experiments including covering with transfer paper. I would lower the power in increments and slow the cutting speed as well as using air assist.

Martin Boekers
01-31-2013, 11:27 AM
You may want to check with Twill USA as they make the fabrics that many use for laser appliques.

George Brown
01-31-2013, 12:32 PM
That is WAAAAAAYYYY too much power. I cut single layer cloth at power 20%, speed 25 on a 60 watt machine. If the cut is complex, the speed is lowered to 5 to 10 and the power accordingly (around 5%). Cuts very nicely with no discoloration on the back.

Dan Hintz
01-31-2013, 1:06 PM
That is WAAAAAAYYYY too much power.
I read the OP as 10% power, not 100%. Having seen that now, I agree with George...

Linda Waring
06-23-2013, 9:33 PM
I'm trying to cut twill also. I'd like to double layer it, but it continues to cut through both layers even I think I'm doing the color mapping right.

Craig Matheny
07-07-2013, 1:13 AM
I cut our twill for appliques for my wife on a 45 watt epilog 52sp 85 pwr 700 hertz cuts great I can slow it down if she wants the backing left in place. On the kis cut you need to set u two colors for your mapping the top layer and the bottom layer I would guess 70 pwr 85 sp 700 hertz for the top layer and then the 45sp 85pwr 700hertz for the two layesr