PDA

View Full Version : It's Alive!

Kathy Marshall
01-30-2013, 11:49 PM
Guess what I found waiting for me on the porch when I got home?
Yep, it was a big box from Teknatool :D.
So I rushed in the house to change clothes, then rushed to the shop to put my lathe back together. It was a simple job to install the boards, but time consuming trying to get the holes on the board lined up with the holes in the bottom of the headstock. There's not alot of room, and working upside down kneeling on the floor, is tough on old bones :eek:.
I got it together, plugged it in and then crossed my fingers while I flicked the power switch. Low and behold there was power :D.

So I grabbed a small bowl blank to see if I still remembered how to turn. My muscle memory was a little rusty and since I had recently cleaned up the 8" layer of shavings, I had to keep readjusting to the height difference, but once I got warmed up it all seemed to come back.

Just a simple little sissoo bowl, about 5-6" or so with a coat of danish oil. It sure feels good to be turning again!

Sorry for the crappy phone pics. I skipped the ones with the bowl in the upright position since they came out pretty blurry.
Thanks for looking!
Comments and critiues are welcome

Alan Trout
01-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Kathy,

I am glad you got it back together. Not bad for poor muscle memory:).

Brian Kent
01-31-2013, 1:04 AM
The grain is beautiful and so is your working lathe!

Roger Chandler
01-31-2013, 6:47 AM
Wooo hoooo! Great news K!

Thom Sturgill
01-31-2013, 6:56 AM
I think once you've really developed the muscle memory its like riding a bike. You cn be a bit shaky for a few minutes, but settle down quick and the results seem to bear that out. Glad you are back to turning.

Russell Eaton
01-31-2013, 7:02 AM
Im glad that I have multiple lathes. Glad to see you back turning again.

Steve Schlumpf
01-31-2013, 7:19 AM
Congrats on getting your back up and running! Have fun turning!!

charlie knighton
01-31-2013, 7:27 AM
happy for you and your lathe, be safe, fine bowl

Fred Belknap
01-31-2013, 7:44 AM
Sure glad you got your lathe going. It really sucks when you have a new tool and it won't work. I doubt that I would be as patient as you in the same circumstances. I'm sure it is a nice lathe and I hope you have seen the last of troubles with it.

Allan Ferguson
01-31-2013, 10:23 AM
It must have been very frustrating. Happy turning to you!

Bernie Weishapl
01-31-2013, 10:55 AM
Glad you got the lathe working and sure looks like you didn't miss a step. Nice bowl.

Tim Rinehart
01-31-2013, 11:01 AM
Congrats on being up and running again! I'll have to remember that little trick about using the shavings for height adjustment! ;)

Scott Hackler
01-31-2013, 11:12 AM
So happy your able to get back at it! :)

Bill Bolen
01-31-2013, 11:32 AM
Great news! So happy your turning drought is past:D

Sid Matheny
01-31-2013, 5:56 PM
I know it has been a pain waiting for the lathe to have power again but now you can stay busy and try to make up for lost time. Hope everything keeps running for you.

Sid

Roger Chandler
01-31-2013, 6:25 PM
From the looks of that bowl, I don't think Kathy has lost her mojo! ;)

Eric Holmquist
01-31-2013, 7:51 PM
Great news! Good to see you back in action

Steve Mawson
01-31-2013, 7:57 PM
Fantastic, great news. Good things take longer than they should sometimes.

Harry Robinette
01-31-2013, 8:16 PM
That is GREAT news. I've missed your work being here,I do enjoy seeing your work.

Kathy Marshall
01-31-2013, 11:29 PM
Thanks Everyone!

paul vechart
02-01-2013, 9:46 AM
Kathy great to hear you are back to turning...would you care to comment on the time it took for Teknatool to send you a part for your lathe...the DVR was on my short list for a new larger lathe but now I don't know...thanks.

Paul

Kathy Marshall
02-02-2013, 1:57 AM
Kathy great to hear you are back to turning...would you care to comment on the time it took for Teknatool to send you a part for your lathe...the DVR was on my short list for a new larger lathe but now I don't know...thanks.

Paul
Thanks Paul!
There were actually 2 different issues. When the lathe first went down, with all the plugging and unplugging the ground pole came out of the plug. They thought that might have been the problem, so the first thing they did was sent out a new back plate (which the cord is attached to). I had to email them a copy of my receipt and with the holidays it was after New Years before it came in. When that didn't fix the problem, it was a matter of diagnosing what the actual problem was. I finally took the back plate off but left all the connections in place, then took a video so they could see and hear what it was doing. When he saw the video he knew right away that something was arcing on the board and he sent out a complete set of boards the next day.
It could have gone a little quicker, but they were pleasant to deal with and they did get the problem fixed.
I love the lathe and I don't recall hearing of anyone else having issues with theirs.

Fred Belknap
02-02-2013, 8:57 AM
There were actually 2 different issues. When the lathe first went down, with all the plugging and unplugging the ground pole came out of the plug. They thought that might have been the problem, so the first thing they did was sent out a new back plate (which the cord is attached to). I had to email them a copy of my receipt and with the holidays it was after New Years before it came in. When that didn't fix the problem, it was a matter of diagnosing what the actual problem was. I finally took the back plate off but left all the connections in place, then took a video so they could see and hear what it was doing. When he saw the video he knew right away that something was arcing on the board and he sent out a complete set of boards the next day.
It could have gone a little quicker, but they were pleasant to deal with and they did get the problem fixed.
I love the lathe and I don't recall hearing of anyone else having issues with theirs.

Kathy I'm glad you posted that, I may have been a little harsh in my judgement of the company. But I do wonder how someone less savvy technically than you would have been treated. Evidently they are interested in their customers having a positive reaction to their product. I am happy for you and I like the monster whatever it is.:D

paul vechart
02-02-2013, 10:37 PM
Thanks Kathy for the reply...now I understand the time frame and believe they did a good job taking care of your issue.

Paul

Peter Fabricius
02-03-2013, 10:30 AM
Hi Kathy;
I also have a DVR and replaced the main board two years ago (June 2010). My problem was that the safety auto shut down was activating at the slightest bumb of the gouge. So it was all replaced with new board which had new software on it.
would you please be so kind and check the software version thar flashes up when you turn the power on.
My software version is: "v6.06xs14 2009"
I am just interested in seeing if there has been version changes.
thanks and I am glad your long wait is over, BTW cute little bowl.
Peter F.