PDA

View Full Version : Yorkcraft® YC-900WL Wood Lathe

Scott Stefanoski
05-07-2003, 12:59 PM
does anyone have one of these? the yorkcrafts are sold by wilke machinery and i figured it would be a good value. don't really know if i want to spend $500-600 for a jet or a delta lathe.

Eric Apple - Central IN
05-07-2003, 1:25 PM
Harbor Freight has as a $249 lathe that goes on sell for $179 very often. It compares very well to the variable speed delta & jet lathes selling around $500. I use one a lot and it's a very good value.

John Miliunas
05-07-2003, 1:41 PM
Scott, I've had mine now for about 7 or 8 months. "Knock on wood" :D , but it's been a nice piece for me, thus far. I'm not a real seasoned turner, but it's taken everything I've thrown at it, including some tough, *real* dry Cherry burls. I had the chance to use a Jet (1236, I think) and it's virtually identical, save for a couple minor things. Yes, I've been able to "stall" it a couple of times, but that was because of some really tough Walnut and my own stupidity in not sharpening my chisels sooner.

It came packaged really well, the freight company Wilke uses is fantastic and the unit had minimal *Cosmoline* on it. The assembly instructions were nothing to write home about, but sufficient. Don't know...They may have improved them by now. I "modified" my stand by installing a shelf below the lathe and stacking on @ 150lb. of sand. The thing is pretty darn husky now! And, it goes without saying, Wilke's Customer Service ranks right up there! It's been a good machine for me. Of course, YMMV.:cool: