PDA

View Full Version : Scrubber ... will a scrubber get a non-profit laser creative group out of hot water?

steven mcculloch
01-30-2013, 9:18 PM
Hi guys, I am a new member. Your posts on building a scrubber are great. I'll post pics of my own set up (I have an Epilog mini 18) when I get it done.

This post is about a "hack" group in Calgary, which is in hot water because of their laser and their set up. The city inspector came in, and said they have to do an expensive upgrade - with permits and licensed contractors. The $15 000 cost will put them out of 'business.' The link is . I checked their site and couldn't find the details of how many watts and how their currently exhausting it. I'll find out more tomorrow when I go there.

I've seen Epilog using their portable scrubbers in trade shows (like this last CES). Would that set up allow this group to bypass the permanent fixture requirement?

Martin Boekers
01-30-2013, 10:54 PM
Have you stopped by local shops and see what they are doing?

Is it the equipment or what you are cutting?

Did someone turn you in because of fumes from outside venting?

Some of these air scrubbers can be quite expensive.

Mark Ross
01-31-2013, 9:46 AM
It all depends on the government. If they say jump, don't even bother asking how high. (This comes from someone who has the EPA monitoring their exhaust fumes and waste water. Never been in trouble, never been anywhere near the limit).

George Brown
01-31-2013, 12:37 PM
I don't vent outside (too much heat loss during the winter), but my home built (commercial ones are just a fancier version of mine, but a lot more money) scrubber works just fine.

Richard Rumancik
01-31-2013, 8:32 PM
Steven, to address the problem properly, one would need to know EXACTLY what regulations are being enforced so as to know if your proposed solution of using a scrubber will be the answer. Someone came up with a $15000 figure - for what labor and equipment? If they are not venting outside currently then of course that is dangerous and is not acceptable. Normally all one would need is a 4 or 6" exhaust port through an external wall or window.

I would hesitate to tell you that a scrubber will solve the problem when we do not know exactly what the problem is. If you can indicate what violation(s) the inspector cited then someone here might be able to help. If there are electrical violations then clearly you will have to get a licenced electrician to resolve them. What organization is the city inspector representing? Normally a "city inspector" would enforce building codes and zoning regulations.